Television - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Television

Is it just me, or has television programming in the US gotten to the point that they will show you bits of a program now and then just to give you a break from the advertising? It has gotten so bad that halfway through a "commercial break", they have to stop and remind you of what program you were trying to watch in the first place. (That little "so and so will continue..." line)

I have an antenna, I have 31 channels with nothing on for free, so I just called Dish Network and told them they were fired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 12:07 PM

I think commercials have gotten ridiculous. They seem to have more commercial breaks now, which are shorter. Erik and I are doing the long-distance thing right now, so in the evenings we have our tv time together on the phone. Commercials are bathroom time and all, or time to go cut up a fruit -- I can't even get an apple washed and cut before the commercials are over, and I cut pretty fast!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

I tape most of what I want to watch so I can zip through the commercials.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Cat Addict

TiVo is my friend.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 10:15 PM

see, i think it all depends on the program you are watching and on what station. some shows the commercials seem to drag on forever, but on others they do go by so quickly, but happen more frequently.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:00 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My complaint is with the programming. There is a real paucity of original programs. Most are copies of what was once a good idea. Many are police shows, which do not interest me at all. Even the Discovery Channel is full of copy-cat programs.

I'm just disappointed in general and use the TV mostly as background noise. I can't think of a good drama since Hallmark Hall of Fame. They're few and far between.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Premier Cat

I love my DVR. When I am watching a show live I catch myself grabbing the remote to fast-forward the commercials.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Senior Cat

Ditto on the DVR comment. The nice thing about Dish with DVR is I can trun the channel on, leave the room for 15-20 minutes, back the show up to the beginning, then skip all the commercials when they come up. It's perfect! Plus I set it up to record the stuff I like when I'm not home. It can hold like 90 hours of programming, so I can sit and watch the stuff whenever I want, and I never have to change the tape!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2005, 05:17 AM

Unplug the drug.

I have a coworker that says she couldn't live without tv because it's her best "babysitter" for her kids. Ugh. Granted I do miss food network, discovery, animal planet and a couple of shows like CSI but for the most part I am not impressed with what TV has to offer. I have to say getting rid of my tv was one of the best changes I have made in my life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page