Golden Retrievers - anything I need to know? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Golden Retrievers - anything I need to know?

My Mum and Dad want another dog after my one passed away last year. My Dad is a real dog person (but loves Dylan lol) and really fancies a golden retriever. They have had lab x collies previously.

My Dad would want a dog thats playful but obediant, a good guard dog but gentle with his grandkids (teenagers) and ideally a good car traveller. Have found a couple of breeders in Kent Uk where they are, need to stil search for rescues though. My Dad is a great believer in instinct - he needs to see the dog and fall in love with it. No doubts, nothing.

So - what knowledge have ya got? Any health problems? Any rescues or people you know of?

Sorry its a bit to the point but my tea is in oven Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 02:57 PM

wow. Conan and i LOVE golden retrievers but be PREPARED for a bundle of energy that rivals all. you have no idea where it comes from and no idea where it ends. id suggest adopting an abandoned adult whos abit calmer if you cant deal with a whirling dervish on your hands. alot of people love this puppies exuberance and love, alot cant handle it and back to the breeders they go.

once they hit adult they are the sweetest, loving most affectionate dog youll ever have. they are great listeners and love to learn tricks throughout their whole lives.

have fun and enjoy!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I think my Dad would prefer a younger dog so he can train him/her how he wants without worrying so much about behavioural problems due to being abused or bad habits etc. He is very particular when it comes to dogs!

He trained our first dog exceptionally well - the gentlest, most loving dog, very obediant, and a good guard dog too when needed.

They went to see a black lab today which they heard about from a friend that was just over a year old, but my Dad was put off because he wasn't neutered, had an unknown skin condition which could potentially cost loads and when playing with the dog it was a little rough in the mouth department, didn't hurt my Dad but could hurt my niece and nephew if it nipped whilst playing. My Dad's instinct didn't kick in either... He just has to "know" thats the dog for him and he wasn't overly taken with him. The dog was unwanted by it's owner who got it from her daughter as a present.

I think under 3yrs would suit... I also think my parents don't want to fall in love to potentially have heart break again in a couple of years or so. They have only just got over my dog, Cross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 03:51 PM

My father-in-law has one, and she is the biggest sweetheart ever. She's one of the rarer ones in coloring; she's more white than golden - very beautiful. The only thing I have heard about GRs is that they are prone to hip dysplasia. I looked this up to be sure and found this site. It has some great info. http://www.grca.org/
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2005, 06:27 PM

I have a 5yr old female-named Bear.
Goldens are the best dogs in the world IMO!
They are very smart-Bear thinks I'm almost as smart as she is.
Very eager to please.
They have lots of energy and will get very destructive if you don't give them an outlet for all that energy. When Bear was a pup she needed to be confined to a small room for about 2 months and proceded to eat the carpet and the walls in the room
They do have health issues that goldens are predisposed to. Hip dysplasia, OCD (which Bear had), eye problems, skin problems, ect.... if you go to a GOOD breeder that should cut down on those.
They love everyone and everything. Great with kids-but like all dogs should never be left unsupervised around young kids or kids they don't know.
They are probably the world's worst gaurd dog. They might bark at someone, but if that person can see the dog, they'll also notice the tail wagging I'm pretty sure Bear would give someone a tour of my house for in exchange for a bowl of food if anyone ever broke in here! On the otherhand, I have NO doubt in my mind that if someone ever physically threatened me, Bear would defend me.
They shed like crazy, expect dog hair everywhere! If you are the type of person that is very particular about having a spotless house, a golden is definately NOT for you.

Here's a site that has lots of info on goldens.
www.landofpuregold.com

And Bear would especially like to make sure you read and understand this page-these are the rules she lives by!
http://landofpuregold.com/ww47.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page