Ehhhhh anyone know anything about dogs? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Ehhhhh anyone know anything about dogs?

My Black lab has just delivered 9 puppies, we're a bit concerned on how she'll take care of them, any advice? Will we need to buy supliments and feed 'em every 2 hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 11:03 PM

Watch for them to be un-content. If they cry a lot, they aren't getting fed. Look at their tummies, if they're round they've eaten. They should wiggle when messed with and picked up but sleep a lot(in a big pile). If they cry, does mom run to them and see what's wrong? Is she helping them eliminate after they've nursed? Large breeds sometimes have large litters. I had a neighbor who's great dane whelped 13 puppies. They all survived without suplimenting. She'll probably be fine, just keep a good eye and feel free to ask any questions. The more specific the better. Why do you wonder about if you need to suplement? Is there something out of the ordinary? Just make sure mom has plently of good quality puppy food and lots of water available. Good luck.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-24-2005, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 12:31 AM

Your welcome! Don't forget to post pics of the little guys. Are they boys girls? What colors? Puppies are always so neat! Congrats, as I forgot to tell you that before- I was in a hurry with Thanksgiving and all! Good luck!
Bam
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 02:32 AM

Maybe you should have researched breeding before you bred her.

Is your bitch AKC registered? Has she been hip scored? How old is she?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 12:18 PM

If I remember correctly, this was an accidental breeding. The dog got looseand something had happened where she had to put off spaying. She had come onto the forum for advice before the dog whelped and had said that she asked at a dog forum too. That may have been someone else though but I think it was her, would have to search her old posts. Plus, I know I've researched the heck out of breeding over four years, got my female from a good breeder, she's show quality, vet has run all the tests, I have two breeder mentors for my specific breed, and I'm still nervous for my first litter comming in the beginning of January. I could see myself, for some reason, asking a simple question like this out of shear anxiety. It's actually quite scary even if the puppies are expected and you've done your research, you know?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 12:48 PM

I see your point, but it doesn't hurt to ask questions
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Nope, it doesn't hurt! Breeding should be left to those that know what they're doing, I agree! It's all technical and something could drastically go wrong! You also have to know your breed and make sure you're breeding for the right tempermate is the most important, then followed by health and breed standards. If a dog lacks in any of these things and you're breeding her, there's something wrong.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
When I was breeding collies, I kept a notebook, and as each pup was born, I wrote the description and weight. I used a baby scale. Puppies gain rapidly, so if you weigh them daily and they are not gaining, or they lack the round tummy and energy Bam was telling you about, begin supplementing with formula. The amount of formula depends on the weight of the puppy. I weighed my puppies every day to make sure they were thriving.

It's a shame you don't have a mentor because you should have had help the first time a litter is born. Sometimes you have to help the pups begin to breathe, or you might have to tube feed. Learn as much as you can! If you have to supplement, don't forget to rub their little tummies gently to stimulate elimination. Good luck!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page