Fishy Pictures. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Fishy Pictures.

Here are some pictures of my fishies.

Andy, Betsy, Franchaska, & Jackie:

Izzie:

All that is missing is a picture of my lazy algae-eater Emmy.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:19 PM

Nice and colorful!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Thanks. I don't know if you can see the gravel but it's multi-colored. I'm going to check to see if I have a picture of the whole tank because it's really pretty. Plus I'll upload that picture of lazy Emmy.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-26-2005, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Emmy:

The whole tank:

Pretty huh? So far I've had good luck with Serpae Tetras & Mixed Fruit Tetras which is really good considering I didn't really have luck with my African Water Frogs & Betta. I had Harry, a Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami for a long time though so I guess I can say I have good luck with those, too. I was going to get two Neon Tetras & two Glowlight Tetras today, but, Franchaska is ill. See, about a month ago, we went to Pet Supplies Plus to get another Mixed Fruit Tetra (Jackie) and another Gourami (Kelly). Well, weeks later Kelly developed a red spot on the bottom of her. It soon progressed to all over her body. Then Harry bit her a few times and then Kelly died. Then after that, Harry got the same thing, then he died. Well, know Franchaska has a little spot on her that looks like the same thing. So, I don't want to bring in new fishies if my tank is infected. We'll see how everything goes. Hopefully Franchaska will pull through. But I hoped that with Kelly & Harry. So that is the story.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Cat Addict

Cute tank Catlover!

When you stock your tank, remember that 1" per gallon is a good guidline for small peaceful fish..., that means with the 4 tetras, a snail and a pleco, you are already at your limit and shouldn't really be adding more fish. Overstocking a 10 gal tank can be dangerous because of the very small amount of water. Plecos and snails, especially, create a lot of waste that can really mess with your water conditions if your not dilligent about tank mantainance.

The pleco (Emmy) will grow huge (over 12") and in a few months you might have to think about rehoming her or trading her back to the petstore.

Also, a lot of people don't know this, but the "fruit" tetras are actually White Skirt Tetras that have be artificially dyed. They put them in a caustic solution that disolves the protective slim coating and then put them in a dye. Its very cruel and many fish don't survive. I used to have a few of these, but when I found out about how the dye them, I vowed never to buy them again.

Another thing,
Tetras are great little fish, but they're schooling fish, which means that they like to be in groups of their own kind. They'll feel safer and less stressed and will swim together more. So, with tetras, its best to keep many of one kind instead of mixing and matching several different kinds. The ideal school size is a min of 6, but you don't have room in your 10 gal for that. Keep this in mind, though, if you lose a fish or when you rehome Emmy and then have room for more. Stick with a bunch of the same species rather than a whole bunch of different species.

Do you know about the nitrogen cycle?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'm not going to rehome Emmy or trade her into a pet store. That would definatley kill her, since she is so skittish. She is a Catfish Algae-Eater and they grow up to her size she is at now. No wonder Franchaska is just about white! How cruel. I heard that you can place 8 fish in a tank with the same rule. By the way, my snail is dead because my fish ate her, alive. Thanks for the comment and info.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
Cool Cat

There is no fish called a "catfish algae eater" so it would help to know the size she will grow if you know the specific species. Post a pic with more than the eye if you can and maybe we can ID her for ya!

Nell is correct about the 1" per gallon rule for freshwater fish... and that is at full size. So you could have 10 fish that grow to 1" max or 5 that grow to 2" max. Snails don't figure into the calulations so it's a freebie, altho it's gone now. I would recommend against getting another snail. They tend to lay eggs and overtake the tank and then you have to redo the whole tank. It can be quite a mess!

The info about the painted fish is correct as well - I just learned about this last year and was horrifed they do this to fish and will boycott any store that sells these types of fish!

It is important to learn about the Nitrogen cycle if you don't already. I was really surprised to learn about it when I started back into fish last year. When I was growing up, you just dropped the fish into tap water and that was it, but boy have things changed! Here's a helpful website with forums if you want to learn more....
www.aquariumadvice.com

It's a lot of fun huh?! Looking forward to more pics!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

I'll try to get a better picture of her if I can. She is so scared that it's almost impossible but not entirley impossible.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Banned

Nice looking tank and fish. Some species of algae eaters can grow to be huge. Does the water level need to be raised? It looks a little low.

Good advice from the others. I used to have a tank but that was over 10 years ago and I've already forgotten most of what I knew about fish. Seems to me I recall there's a rule of thumb about how many inches of fish per gallon. i.e. one could have a few larger fish or more smaller fish. But I can't remember what it was.

Most of my fish were very small -- under two inches. Along with some others I had a mini-school of six Harlequin Rasboras. A neat little fish. Did you know they can swim backwards?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack....your pics just got me to reminiscing. That happens with old people.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Thanks for the compliments oldie! (admit it! you love my jokes) We've added water since that picture was taken.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page