Pet Rats, Anyone??? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Pet Rats, Anyone???

Tell me all about them and everything to consider if I should get a couple or not.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 07:27 PM

We had two pet rats, hubby and I. They are like little dogs lol. I played with mine more than hubby played with his. His was a little snippity. Mine would sit on my shoulder, lick me, and was just a big huge cuddle bug. He loved to come out and play. My brother had two rats and my other brother had one too. My youngest brother didn't like his, becaus eshe peed on him once, and was beginning to get a little thin so I took him from my brother and fattened him up. I gave him to my son's special ed class aid who brought him home every night and on weekends and holidays. He was huge and sweet. My other brother's two rats were very sweet too. He took better care of his and had them in massive cages. Both were girls but they didn't get along. The one ended up dying. By the time my brother came to have her, she was seven years old. She died off massive tumors. By the time he had her put down, she was skin and bones and the tummor on her tummy was so big her feet didn't reach the ground anymore. She came to her name and had free run of his room and access to her cage at all times. Neat personality that one. The other, he still has and she's a little hyper. You need to pick one with a personality that suits you. I would shy against pet store rats, they're bred for the snakes. If you get one, a breeder is cheaper, they can pick one that suits you, and they have a bigger selection in colors. Ask me anything, we've had rats for as long as I can remember lol.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:15 PM

I'd love to have a rat for a pet but my husband is terrified of rats, mice, hamsters and gerbils. He had a horriable experience when he was a child with mice and has never wanted to be around them any more......poor husband, they are all really cute and fuzzy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 11:18 PM

Yes, but rats by far have been my favorite. They are more personable and friendly.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 12:45 AM

OMG, get some!!!

They are my favorite pet besides cats and dogs. The really are like little dogs. I used to have them all the time and mine knew their names, would come when called, walked on leashes....they were GREAT.

Go for it!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-28-2005, 07:17 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I'll echo what everyone else has said: rats are awesome

Sweet, sociable, smart, playful - they are great pets!
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 10:18 AM

Rats are incrediable pets! I had 6 of them when I was a teenager..Oreo was my very first rat and he was awesome!

My only advice is "if you can" get them when they are young, handle them everyday, Oreo use to sit on my shoulder and went every where with me, he even went on my bicycle with me tucked in my coat..I even smuggled him into school once..LOL..

Rats are very social, and I cant boast on how great of pets they are..But make sure to get a young one..I had an older rat named Nabisco and she bit me all the time, but eventually warmed up...

I have been thinking of getting another one, but my husband hates rats

And if you get a couple make sure they are the same sex, or you will have a ton of them

Or you can seperate them in different cages.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Yup...I will get 2 of the same sex.
I am just learning about them and I am in no hurry.

If you put them down on the floor...will they scurry away??
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
If you put them down on the floor...will they scurry away??
If your cats around I'm sure they will!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 11-29-2005, 05:21 PM

not me, but someone in my class, Andrew, does. I don't know about in general, but he was really sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page