Dry hands from petting my cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Dry hands from petting my cat?

Man my hands are a mess. The tips of my fingers are so dry they crack and split. My thumbs are so sore i can bairly use them. Ive never had this before, only thing i can think of is from petting the cat so much. I know his fur is dry i can see dandruff sometimes when i pet him.

Does anyone else have this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

My hands get very dry in the winter...maybe that's what it's from? I've never heard of getting dry hands from petting cats...but who knows.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Banned

I get cracks in my fingers in the winter. Mine doesn't sound as bad as yours, though. What I've found to be helpful is a product called "New Skin Liquid Bandage." You apply it over the crack and let it dry and it seals out everything, and it's waterproof. That gives it a chance to heal.

PS - I don't think your cats have anything to do with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Cat Addict

Mine get just like yours during the winter. They split at the tops of my finger around the nail, and on my nuckles and the areas between my fingers. They are so bad to the point its deblitating. Washing dishes is painful, chopping garlic, slicing a lemon. If I get anything on it that is irratating...ouch!!! I have been applying some lotion made by Burt's Bees everynight before I go to bed and use it during the day. It seems to be helping. I will have to try out that liquid bandaid Tim speaks of. I dont' think it would be from your cats but I am not positive.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Cat Addict

My father swears on a product called Corn Huskers Lotion.

He works in a steel mill so his hands are his tools most of the time and he has been using this for years.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Well this is the first year with thomas and i pet him about 3-4 times a day for about 5-10 minutes. Ive never had this before so i wondered if it was because of his fur.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 02:22 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to Superkitties Send a message via MSN to Superkitties
Anything's possible, but highly unlikely. I'm guessing that it's a coincidence that your condition started up this year. My friend has exactly what you're describing, and she has no cats. I forgot what the skin condition's called, but it's very hard to treat. I sometimes wince when I see her fingers.

I think a doctor visit is in order.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Tom Cat

My daughter has severe eczema, which causes similar problems on different areas of her hands/arms/legs/neck. It does seem that she gets worse on her hands after she pets the cats, but she does have a mild allergy and takes oral meds for that. The main thing is to keep your skin moisturized, especially during the dry days of winter!

After you pet your cat (and several other times during the day) rinse your hands in comfortably warm water, blot dry, leaving slightly moist and apply a mositurizing lotion. then rub it, rub it, rub it until it is mostly absorbed. Dab away any excess, if you like (or rub it on your legs as I do).

My daughter does well with cocoa butter and coconut butter which can be found at Wal-Mart for a very low price (a couple of bucks), or any drug store or discount/department store. Any good (preferably thicker) moisture cream should work.

If you have any question about it being the cat, you can experiment by petting with gloves on. Just a thought...but I doubt that it is really the problem. Just keep your hands moisturized. If you haven't tried it, you can get cotton "moisturizing" gloves near the manicure area of most department stores, drug stores, etc...rinse/wash your hands, blot dry, put on a thick moisturizing cream and then the gloves.

Wear them overnight and you should see an improvement after a few days, if not the first day. I got mine at Wal-Mart, but I have seen them at Ulta, Target, Walgreens and other drug stores.

Good luck with it! Try to remember that winter is hard on the skin and moisturizers are a valuable resource!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Now that you mention it i have been washing my hands more since thomas has been here. I use to was after i touch him because i was alergic to him. I dont sneeze or anything anymore but i still wash my hands more then i use to because im touching him.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Tom Cat

Know what I have almost the same problem, but mine is not as bad. It's my knuckles that are very dry and has cuts. It doesn't bleed a lot but it does happen sometimes. I was thinking it was just dry because I also wash my hands more often. It started when Tuxie got tapeworms, every time I touched her to play with her or to give her pets, I'll wash my hands. So I was washing my hands almost every 15 minutes. Now that she is worm free, I still wash my hands but not as often. But the cuts is still there, I'm currently using lotion almost every single time I wash my hands. That seemed to help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page