Virtual Christmas Cookie (or any recipe) Exchange... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Virtual Christmas Cookie (or any recipe) Exchange...

You know those cookie exchanges at Christmastime where everyone brings a pan of bars, cookies, etc., and exchanges with others in the office, or this is sometimes done between friends and neighbors? Well, I don't know if this has ever been done here but since we can't actually exchange edible foods, why not a recipe - a "Virtual" Cookie Exchange of sorts?

Submit a recipe that is a favorite of yours at Christmastime and let's make this more interesting by not limiting ourselves to cookies and snacks. Submit any recipe you want - a vegetable side dish, a meat entree - anything. Let's just have fun with it.

Also, if you want to go ahead and submit more than one recipe. I love to try new things and I'm always looking in cookbooks, etc., for new ideas or taking a spin from a "traditional" holiday dish and jazzing it up a bit. I've got one thing in mind right now but I'm sure I'll be back with more later.
COOKIES ~N~ CREAM FUDGE
16 chocolate cream-filled sandwiches, broken into chunks, divided
1 can (14 ounces) sweet condensed milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 and 2/3 cups vanilla or white chips
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Line an 8-in. square baking pan with aluminum foil; coat with nonstick cooking spray. Place half of the broken cookies in the prepared pan.
In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, butter and chips; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla extract. Pour over cookies in pan. Sprinkle with remaining cookies. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cut into squares. Yields 3 dozen (cut 'em small; they're very rich so a little goes a long way!).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

Peanut Brittle

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE WITHOUT A CANDY THERMOMETER!!!

1 cup white corn syrup
2 cups sugar
½ cup water
2 cups RAW peanuts
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp baking soda (NOT baking powder)
1½ tbsp butter

Combine water and corn syrup in a minimum 2qt saucepan. Heat until syrup is thin but not boiling. Using a wooden spoon, stir in sugar. Allow mixture to boil over medium heat. At 250ºF stir in the peanuts. At this point, careful stirring is needed. It is not recommended that you stir constantly because the syrup will need to brown. Constant stirring yields a candy that is pale in color. But under-stirring will scorch the mixture. Use your eyes to determine what a good color is. At 300ºF remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. Once that is mixed fully, add the baking soda. This will cause the mixture to become frothy. After the soda has been fully blended, pour the syrup onto a cookie sheet that has been previously buttered. You can use your wooden spoon to spread the hot syrup but take care to keep the peanuts evenly distributed. When the syrup is cool enough but still flexible, you can further spread it out with your hands. Allow to cool and flex cookie sheet to release the hardened candy.

Use of raw peanuts is critical because if one uses roasted peanuts, they will be overcooked and will give the candy a slightly to moderately burnt taste. Adding roasted peanuts at the end will not allow the syrup to pick up the nutty flavoring from the cooking.

Also DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES use nylon or other plastic utensils to make this candy! The hot syrup WILL soften them and they could even melt into the candy! So you MUST use either metal or wood utensils while preparing the candy.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
I might regret sharing this recepie later, it's kinda my secret weapon Even people who don't like ginger tend to LOVE these cookies!

The BEST Ginger Cookies!

1 cup margarine
1 and 1/2 cups Granulated Sugar
1 large egg
2 tbsp dark corn syrup
1/2 cup Molasses

3 cups All Purpose Flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp Ground cinnamon
1 tsp Ground ginger
1/4 tsp Ground cloves
1/2 tsp Salt

1/4 cup Granulated sugar for coating

1. Place the oven rack in center position, preheat at 375F (190C). Measure first 5 ingredients into large bowl. Beat with electric mixer (I don't have one, hand mixing works just fine!) on low until blended, then on medium until smooth.

2. Add the next 6 ingredients. Stir with the mixing spoon until moistened. Roll into 1 1/2 inch balls.

3. Put the second amount of sugar into a bowl. Roll the balls 1 at a time in the sugar until completley coated. Arrange the balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.

4. Bake in oven for 12-14 minutes then remove cookies from pan to a wire rack to cool. (I cool them on a plate, but you have to remove them from the hot cookie sheet so the sugar doesn't burn on the bottom).

Makes about 3 dozen cookies by the recepie, but I find it doesn't quite make that many

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 12:00 AM
Senior Cat

Scottish lace cookies

Ingredients

3 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

directions

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).

Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the almond extract. Gradually blend in oats and salt.
Drop dough by spoonfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in flour. Bake 12-15 minutes until golden colored. Transfer to wire racks for cooling

Shortbread cookie bars

Ingredients

1 pound unsalted butter
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
Cream butter and sugar with mixer. Add flour and mix with a wooden spoon. Use hands to thoroughly mix.
Press into a jelly roll pan. Prick to bottom all over with a fork being sure the fork hits the bottom and the pricks are close together.
Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to 300 and continue to bake for 40 minutes more. Wait 2 minutes then cut into finger size bars. Cool thoroughly in pan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page