Work Accident - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Work Accident

Today an accident caused me to get some serum (a blood component) splashed onto my face. I had maybe less than two drops end up on my cheek. It did not go into my eyes or mouth. I immediately wiped it off and then washed my face. I called the employee health office and they said they since it did not go into my eyes or mouth and because I had no cuts on my face, there was no exposure and that my skin would act as a barrier to any viruses.
The blood actually belonged to another lab tech. I asked her if she had anything (as in, diseases) and she said "No, not that I know of!" She is a pretty straitlaced person, doesn't do drugs, etc.
My husband is saying that microdroplets could have entered my eyes, nose or mouth without me realizing it. I am off tomorrow but I thought about calling her and asking if there was any way that she could have any diseases without realizing it. My husband wants me to ask her to get tested but I don't know if I want to ask her to do that (unless she thinks she may have something) and plus I'm not sure how that would work since the hospital doesn't think I had an "exposure".
Any thoughts?

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 09:58 PM
Banned

Shannon, at your job, do you work under specific Biosafety Levels? If you are working at BSL 1, then I see no problems at all. BSL 2...maybe some booster shots. I take it you work at nothing higher than BSL 2?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Premier Cat

Oh Shannon, what a bummer. I assist with many minor surgical procedures and deal with hazardous body fluids at work too. It is certainly something we dread happening. Things seem to happen despite all the attention to safety.

I don't see that it would hurt to call employee health again and express that you still have concern about a possible exposure. You have the right to feel that your employer has done all things possible to assure that you are safe and healthy. After all, blood is blood, be it a small amount or large amount.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:05 PM

Aerosolized blood is what you would be concerned about since nothing spashed into your eyes/mouth/nose and you have no cuts.
Aerosolized blood is actually pretty hard to make and not likely in this situation.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/blood/AEROSOLS.HTM

It wouldn't hurt to ask her to get tested though.

Jennifer
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Just for my peace of mind I would get tested.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I would want to be certain, Shannon. Since you both work in a lab, it would certainly not be insulting to your colleague.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 03:42 AM

Just my opinion of course, but I know I'd feel pretty uncomfortable doing that, obviously depending on how close you were to her. Is there a way you can get tested or would it not show up so soon? Not really sure how these things work.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

It wouldn't do any good for me to be tested. Any viruses would not have built up to levels to be detectible. Plus the whole idea is that if *she* has something, then they could give me something to prevent getting it (within a certain time frame...not sure what that is).
I am not sure what BioSaftey level we are at...we work with patient's blood.
I spoke with her today and told me my husband was concerned about me possibly getting blood inside my nose/eyes without realizing it. I asked her if she had ever had testing done before and she said yes. She said that she could get tested again for hepatitis and HIV. I mentioned that maybe she could get blood bank to do it (lab workers sometimes ask each other to run tests on each other in the different labs) but she said she would go through her OB/GYN.
I felt uncomfortable talking to her but she said she can understand my concern. I'm sure she can imagaine the tables being flipped. At least I should have some peace of mind once she gets the testing done.
I almost wish that I had told employee health that I wasn't sure if any had gotten in my nose/mouth/eyes. I don't know if they put you on antivirals immediately or if they wait for testing.
I've had the vaccine to hepatitis B, so I'm not worried about that. Hepatitis C is mostly spread through neeedles and blood transfusions, so that is pretty unlikely for me to get even if she did have it. HIV is pretty much the only other thing and I think it is pretty unlikely that she has it judging by her lifestyle, etc.
Say a prayer for me anyway, I am in worry mode right now.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
HIV dies when it is outwith body temperature I was told... Hep B is the major worry with blood I would say but as long as your anti bodies are ok you should be fine.

Also I don't know if it is the same over there but someone who had a needlestick injury a while back told some life insurance companies won't insure you if you have been tested for HIV. Just something to bear in mind if that applies to you.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 12:37 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey

HIV cannot survive outside the body. I remember because it was something to be concerned about before we visited the HIV/AIDs orphanage in Ethiopia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page