Oh, those poor people in NOLA - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 05:56 PM

I was watching this earlier on CNN. the mayor of N.O has started protests for his people. he blames it all on bush and FEMA and he has said on national television that he is going to rent hundreds of buses and load up all the people of new orleans and drive up to the white house and create a picket line with thousands upon thousands of people from new orleans that have already been forgotten.

good on him
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 06:45 PM

Yikes...

It's amazing that we can send so much help to other countries but then drag our feet when it's our own country in need...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:05 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Such a lack of foresight! The city was not prepared; the governor was not prepared, and FEMA was unprepared. It's a national disgrace. God bless those poor people and give them help. They don't seem to be getting it from the wealthiest country in the world.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

You read and hear so many horror stories of people not getting the help the gov't promised. Like today there was the story of the young boy whose mother died and was never found who can't get any help because there's no death certificate for her and he has no proof of his identity or residence.

If I had gone through what those people in New Orleans had gone through (and are still going through), I certainly would NOT want to move back there.

The mayor of New Orleans has failed his people just as much as anyone else. He's playing politics now to look like the good guy.

The lesson to be learned from these disasters is: don't rely on the government for help.

Random thoughts on the topic......
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
If I had gone through what those people in New Orleans had gone through (and are still going through), I certainly would NOT want to move back there.

The mayor of New Orleans has failed his people just as much as anyone else. He's playing politics now to look like the good guy.

The lesson to be learned from these disasters is: don't rely on the government for help.
All of these points make sense.

I can't imagine wanting to move back. Its one thing to have a random desaster, but considering the cities location and elevation, you woulnd't catch me even visiting!

The corruption in this whole deal is just a nightmare. You have people who want help, but don't know where to go to get it, you have donated money going to different causes, you have people getting aid and then going and spending it on booze and gambling. Add that into the fact that NO has a notoriously corrupt govn't, it's only going to get uglier. (I expect the biggest fights to be down the road. For right or wrong, as soon as the real rebuilding cost start to come out, i see alot of people saying don't rebuild in such a dangerous spot, expecially if other projects get cut or scaled back, and we could very well end up with a nasty political battle.)

As for the govn't, you are correct. I don't care who's running the govn't, rep or dem, local, state, or fed. If you rely on the govn't to survive, you'll be in trouble.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 11:56 PM

I can't read the article without registering....
But I believe all levels of government screwed up on this one starting even before the storm hit.
I also agree with Tim on relying on the government for help.

Jennifer
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 08:06 AM
Cool Cat

These people are some that really need help fast if they are still not situated after this amount of time. I can only imagine it is catastropic to not only lose your home, be splitt up from your family and friends, but losing the whole city too, on top. Why wasn't the levy fixed when the money was appropriated?

Now we have this huge disaster and the goverment plan isn't working for everyone and though I would like to help, the government has taxed the economy of the earners so high their is less opportunity in the USA for a good job.

I'm tapped, and Government wasted so much on useless stuff they can't provide adequate relief.

Next time I vote, it's for lower tax rates. Reps and Dems aren't stopping the irresponcible spending and when I see the actual outflows it's obvious they all agree to keep it up, everyone gets money for their districts.

Too bad they could of been a little more responcible and reinforced the levey.

Too bad they could of been more frugal in the first place, there could of been more help for the people.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I'm a great believer in tradition, and New Orleans (NO)as it was, was full of tradition. However, I think it would be really foolish to rebuild it as it was, at least the areas below sea level. I'm sure that is a heartbreaking thought to those who called NO home, but building homes or businesses in an area prone to flooding and hurricanes, in an area below sea level, is just tempting fate. It's like building on the side of Mount St. Helen's, or the mouth of Vesuvius. It might be years before disaster strikes again, but it is certain to occur.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2005, 10:29 PM
Cat

If you have lived there, you can't imagine not going back I had my doubts about wanting to stay there after college, but being away from it has made me want to stay even more.

This diaster has been waiting to happen for years, and the gov has chosen to ignore it. They knew the levees would not hold, but they chose to pay later rather than sooner. They all just hoped it wouldn't happen on their watch.

For my urban studies class this semester, I've did a survey about it. I've received almost 150 response so far. Not bad for only having a little over two weeks to do it. Some people have really interesting things to say. I'm hoping to be able to do a real reserach study on NO in grad school

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page