Thermostats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:52 AM
Banned

Re: My fav subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster's owner
HVAC systems (like airplanes) are (1) designed by people with PH'Ds, (2) built by people with Masters, (3) Installed by people with MAYBE some college, and finally (4) serviced by HS dropouts!
This is really pretty funny and a little too close to the mark. Except for the airplane analogy. Aircraft mechanics are required to be rigourously trained, apprenticed and/or supervised, and tested before being licensed.
Quote:
The FAA requires at least 18 months of work experience for an airframe, powerplant, or avionics repairer’s certificate. For a combined A & P certificate, at least 30 months of experience working with both engines and airframes is required. Completion of a program at an FAA-certified mechanic school can substitute for the work experience requirement. Applicants for all certificates also must pass written and oral tests and demonstrate that they can do the work authorized by the certificate. To obtain an inspector’s authorization, a mechanic must have held an A & P certificate for at least 3 years. Most airlines require that mechanics have a high school diploma and an A & P certificate.
From here: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos179.htm#training

I have great respect for A&Ps.

Don't worry, folks, your airplanes are in good hands.

Apologies for going off topic. Just felt compelled to defend a profession of some interest to me
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei
MMM....how close is the thermometer to the nearest lightbulb?

Funny but sadly true. I cant tell you how many people get screwed by that. Remember that lights give off heat. If you have a lamp anywhere close to your thermostat it will effect the reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:46 PM

Yikes! OK, I'll drop the reference to airplanes...
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:49 PM
Banned

No harm done.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Today's dilemma: The heater has been programmed to go down to 62 at night and kick back up to 68 at 6:30 am. This morning, it did not come on automatically, and we woke up to 52 degree temps! It came on both Monday and Tuesday morning after I installed the thermostat, but today...nada. I have it "on" rather than "auto" right now and let it run this way, then flipped it back to auto for a few minutes and nothing happened.

Oh, what did I do? I followed the wiring directions completely...reconnecting four wires should not have been this problematic.

Edit to add: The heater is blowing cool air out -- not warm air, so the place has not warmed up at all!!
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

I think you have a defective thermostat.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Alright, had to give my dad a call -- nothing to worry about, just the pilot light had burned out. Now sitting here at a balmy 59 degrees.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:06 PM

There you go - you need an expert to handle HVAC problems these days - they've gone too hi-tech in too many cases.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page