This one is for the ladies. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

This one is for the ladies.

I warned you guys so if you are offended don't say I didn't warn you!!! Although feel free to comment if this type of stuff doesn't bother you.

So I went for my yearly gyno exam and I just got the bill in the mail for $160! Last time I went I was under different insurance which I guess was better because I only remember paying $25 for the same service. Without insurance it would have cost me close to $250! I have been going to the same planned parenthood figuring it would be cheaper than a private practice. How can they get away with charging so much for the pap and the poking around? They checked my blood pressure and weight which I don't think was too necessary either and asked me a load of questions and that was about it. I was out in 20min....and 250 bucks later?? Somethign doesn't seem right. I am going to call tomorrow to find out what I actually was charged for.

The bill goes as such:

Pap - $50
Lab - $16
Comprehensive visit - $165

What the heck is the comprehensive visit? Me walking through the door??
Sorry I am a little hot right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:24 PM

Your "Title" was so enticing but..................... That's OK, I'll just back out now

Dan
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:41 PM

Right behind you buddy...
Anyway I belive it is the doctor looking at you and the paper work involving thelab. I could be wrong but I am from Ontario and we don't worry about that here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:47 PM

haha, you guys are funny!

manitu I hope you get it figured out, as i am also from ontario i never worry about that stuff, but you know how it is with cats it's like $50 just to sit your cat on the table Hopefully you get everything figured out.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:50 PM
Cool Cat

Sounds like the $165 is an office visit fee. You do still have insurance, right? Usually you just have to pay a copay (like you mentioned the $25 previously) for the office visit fee. I would call your insurance company and ask them about it.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

hehehe..i figured the guys wouldn't be able to stay away.

Curiousity get the best of you??

Anyways...my insurance now is pretty lousy. Seems hit or miss. Sometimes I make out really well and other times I get the shaft like in this instance. I just can't believe planned parenthood would be so expensive. I always thought it was the poor woman's health service. I guess I was wrong. I hate being a woman sometimes.

I hear you on the pet exam fees. The place I take my kitties costs $65 just to put the cat on the table. It is worth it though in that they give quality care.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 08:57 PM

I have found that insurance companies tend to pay the full bill (except co-pay) when you go to a doctor within the network. I only went to planned parenthood once and it cost me $50 becuase I didn't make much $$ and I didn't have insurance.

Not sure how your insurance works though.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:08 PM

Planned Parenthood charges by what you can "afford".
It might be cheaper to go to a doc in the network.
The 165 is most likely the office visit (doctor fee). You might find it cheaper to see a PA or nurse practitioner instead of the actual doctor.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 09:20 PM

I called Planned Parenthood when we moved here, and it was going to be about $190 for the same visit.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Premier Cat

I went to Planned Parenthood before for the yearly exam and it sure was expensive. I know it works on the sliding scale though. I wasn't making much $ then but anyways, all they did was make me wait over an hour when my appt. was way earlier and then asked me some questions, exam, etc. No wonder many people still choose not to get yearly exams, they just cost too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page