?? for all the parents of "human" kind... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

?? for all the parents of "human" kind...

Last Friday, 5 days ago, my 10-month-old daughter began running a low-grade fever of 100.1° to 100.3°. I assumed she was teething because she was chewing on anything hard that she could find and she didn't seem to feel comfortable eating solid foods. Well, she was like this all weekend long and through the better part of Monday. She also had a decreased appetite and didn't sleep well.

The fever broke sometime Monday evening and she was great all day yesterday. Pretty much back to her normal self. Then last night my husband noticed she had little pink dots all over her chest, abdomen and back along with some bigger patches of pink scattered about her face. None of the spots are raised and none of them are leaking any pus. Even with this rash she has been acting her normal self though and playing, laughing as usual. She is napping better as well.

OK, so last night I told my husband let's not make a big deal out of it and just wait and see if the rash was still there this morning...it is. So I called my mom to see if she had any idea of what it might be and she said that it sounds a little like roseola to her and that I should call the kids' doctor. So I did.

I'm still waiting to here back from the doctor and in the meantime I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of roseola and know what it looks like. I think I read somewhere that roseola is a mild form of the measle virus that is not vaccinated against. Is this true? My husband saw something on a website that said that roseola spots sometimes have a white border around them but Emma's spots are not like that. I'm just curious if anyone might have any other ideas. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 PM

Never heard of it but a quick google search game up with this:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections ... seola.html
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 03:37 PM
Premier Cat

Roseola is a common contagious childhood disease. It's not serious -- it's viral so antibiotics won't help. It will simply go away on its own. Keep an eye on your other child for symptoms.

Since your daughter is so young, you may want to have the doctor check her to be sure it's roseola. On a rare occasion, some of these childhood diseases can have complications, so better safe than sorry.

Good luck!!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:22 PM

Has she had shots lately? Especially the measels one. Just a thought, I got the measels when I got my shot, full blown though. Some shots will have the weakened virus and you can get a slight case of them from the shot itself. It also sounds a little like an allergy maybe, like even cat hair. My daughter's allergic to everything under the sun and she gets what you are talking about, hubby too, ecxept his are welt like and hers are more like what you describe. Benadril won't hurt her, ask a nurse what her dosage would be and that might help too. The fever may not even be related, that's not a very high fever and if I remember right, my fever with measels was really high.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
Never heard of it but a quick google search game up with this:

http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections ... seola.html
Thanks for the link! I did a little research on my own when the kids were napping and found the same site. The symptoms described sound EXACTLY like when Emma has been going through over the last few days except that her fever wasn't quite as high. At any rate, her pediatrician hasn't called back yet and I know he has checked his phone messages so I'm guessing that what she is going through doesn't sound at all too serious to him. If the symptoms I explained to the nurse would have alerted him he would have called back right away. Otherwise he waits until the end of his day.

Thanks again!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymekaps
Roseola is a common contagious childhood disease. It's not serious -- it's viral so antibiotics won't help. It will simply go away on its own. Keep an eye on your other child for symptoms.

Since your daughter is so young, you may want to have the doctor check her to be sure it's roseola. On a rare occasion, some of these childhood diseases can have complications, so better safe than sorry.

Good luck!!
Thanks for the heads up! Now that I have an inkling of what is going on with Emma I am definitely going to keep an eye out for anything going on with Nate. So far so good! Emma's fever has been completely gone now for over 24 hours so whatever it is that she has is probably on it's way out, I'm guessing.

I'm certainly aware of how it's better to be safe than sorry and that's why I called her doctor. I'm guessing the symptoms don't sound too serious to him because he hasn't called me back yet since I spoke with his nurse at noon. Otherwise, he would have called by now. He's really good about that.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamMcg
Has she had shots lately? Especially the measels one. Just a thought, I got the measels when I got my shot, full blown though. Some shots will have the weakened virus and you can get a slight case of them from the shot itself. It also sounds a little like an allergy maybe, like even cat hair. My daughter's allergic to everything under the sun and she gets what you are talking about, hubby too, ecxept his are welt like and hers are more like what you describe. Benadril won't hurt her, ask a nurse what her dosage would be and that might help too. The fever may not even be related, that's not a very high fever and if I remember right, my fever with measels was really high.
Ironically, yes. About 2-1/2 weeks ago they had their 9-month checkup, at which time they weren't due to have any regular vaccinations but I did get the flu shot for them. In children under the age of 9 the flu shot is given in two half doses for the first time so they've only had the first half of the shot and are due to go back for the second half in a couple of weeks.

One of my first thoughts when Emma got sick like she did was maybe she was having an adverse reaction to the flu vaccine, which I've read can happen. But, as I was saying in my earlier replies Emma's symptoms sound exactly like roseola so I'm guessing that's what she's got. My husband works at a hospital so he could have easily brought some illness home and my mom, who helps me out with the kids a few hours a week, works as a bank teller and Lord only knows how filthy money is so she could have brought something in the house too.

Thanks so much for the help!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 PM

You're welcome! Hope all turns out, let us know what the Dr says... BTW, my youngest woke up like that just a few weeks ago, he had the fever and what looked like chicken pox but smaller and no oozing. I gave him benadril and he woke up fine the next day... Hope all gets better. You never said if they itched I don't think.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamMcg
You're welcome! Hope all turns out, let us know what the Dr says... BTW, my youngest woke up like that just a few weeks ago, he had the fever and what looked like chicken pox but smaller and no oozing. I gave him benadril and he woke up fine the next day... Hope all gets better. You never said if they itched I don't think.
I got a call from the pediatrician about 5 o'clock and he said that what I was describing sounded exactly like roseola except that roseola typically produces a higher fever than what Emma had. He said as long as she does not get dehydrated there is no need to bring her in to be seen. He told me that the rash usually lasts about 5 days, give or take, and that it is not itchy. Of course, I get to look forward to my son probably getting it within a few days too - Oh Yay! I just hope that if he gets it that it's completely over and done with before Christmas. With this being their first Christmas I was really looking forward to a fun time.

At least I know what to look for now if and when it happens to Nate. The worst part about the whole thing was this weekend when Emma had the high point of the fever she just sat in the middle of the floor and looked lifeless; kind of sad to watch. Of course, she didn't sleep well either which totally sucks for the parents

Thanks for caring!

ETA: I was just going back to your original reply to me, BamMcg, and just now noticed how you asked about possible allergies. I've talked with the pediatrician before how we have 3 cats in the house and he told me (and I also read it online somewhere) that it is possible for allergies to show up in infants this small but very unlikely because allergens usually don't build up in a child until at least 12 months of age. He also told me that by then the child has usually had enough exposure to whatever the allergen concern is in your house (i.e. cats) and that most of the time they build an immunity to it. Just a little FYI in case you didn't know that.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 11:55 PM

Yes, I know, thank you. We've been seeing allergists for years. Cassi started allergies at about 3-4 months old, it was horrible. She's allergic to carrots, peaches, oats, eggs, all nuts, beaf, tomatoes, and a bunch more. And of corse, you know you start babies on cherrios as one of their first foods, and they have oats, also many of the other foods you begin to introduce slowly have what she's allergic to and a lot of shots are based in eggs so she had issues with that. She's also allergic to dust mites, grasses, dogs, pollens, and a bunch more. When we had her tested, which was horrid, they gave her benadril and made us stay in the lobby for like an hour because most of her allergies top the scale and they didn't want her to go into shock. She gets the food allergies from my side and the other allergies from hubby. Poor thing, she's been pretty sick all her life with bowel issues, rashes, and hay fever. Pretty well caught up on the allergy issues lol! The bright side is that neither of my other kids have allergy problems, they got the good long straw I guess lol. I'm glad all is well, sort of. If it makes you feel better, my brother woke up with chicken pox Christmas morning, so it can't be that bad .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page