Raising finch Help... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Raising finch Help...

Anyone know anything about raising baby finch? I took one from the neighbor kids who were "teaching it to fly". It's pretty big but has no feathers on its head and no spectacular colors yet, we have a couple of kinds here but all are pretty colors. Anyone know what to do with it? I called the wildlife place, who has a department for birds specifically and left a message. Maybe they can come and get it tommorow, but what in the meantime? It's in a box layered with newspaper and a thin towl for warmth but I don't know what to even feed it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I read that finch need to eat every half hour! Is this just for a little baby guy, or do I really need to fead him that often(he's good sized for a finch)??? I only have over night, but golly would that be terrible. He ate a tiny bit of food, I don't know what else to give him. I took some 100% orange/pinapple/bannana juice concentrate with water and a few slices of apples and blended them and he ate about half a ml, seemed a lot for him, I did warm it to just above room temp. I dripped it on his beak and he opened his mouth and let it drip from there into his mouth and ate it until he fell asleep. I know he got most, I watched him swallow lol head tilted back. His cute pointy tongue sometimes would stick out licking the sides of his beak for more but the feeding went sooo slow!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:28 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Here's a good link for technique, etc. Unfortunately, every source I found recommended "Exact," a formula you have to buy.

http://www.birdsnways.com/articles/spenser.htm

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 10:30 PM
Cat Addict

We're not ignoring you, it's just that I don't have the least clue. I feed finches about 9 months out of the year, but it's always adults and flying young. I never even see the little ones till they're old enough to come to the feeders. Sorry
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 01:15 AM

I'm sorry... I don't know what to feed him except for handfeeding formula. I use EXACT handfeeding formula. If you can't get anyone to get him tomorrow you will have to go to the pet store and get some. Until you can get to the store you can keep feeding him what you have been and hope the little guy makes it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 02:20 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I hope they call tommorow, otherwise I don't see much hope. I didn't even know they had to open their beak and beg. I checked him and he was cold. I don't have a heating pad, so I filled a baggy with warm water and wrapped it in a towel and placed it partially covering him hoping it will help.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 02:23 AM

OK I asked someone that knows alot about hand raising babies and she said to cook up some rice and make a rice mush and feed it that til you can get some formula or someone to take the baby. when the rice is cooked don't drain out the water.. just mix the water and the rice and mush it all together. I would use a spoon to feed the baby. Good luck.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, that was very helpful! Will do! He ate just now, so that will have to be the next feeding. He ate more this time, like 3-4 ml. He perked up well after being warmed. I have to find my rice sock, it should last him over night if the box is kept closed and insulated...
Here he is BTW-
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 AM

Awww. He's a cutie. You could also try putting some seed in the bottom of his box and see if he will eat those.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Well, he made it over night. He's active too and still warm. I fed him the rice stuff last night and this morning. Question, are their food crops kind of behind their neck twards the sides instead of in front? Cuz afer I fed him, a whole bunch BTW(he ate very well), I still couln't see or feel his crop where I'm used to but he "fluffed up" and their are what looks like two bags of skin that are filled with something white, I'm assuming the rice mush. I hope the woldlife place calls today. Oh, I put somew fine crumbled, like what you cook with, bread crumbs in there so he can pick at it if he wants to but I don't have any birsd seed. His favorite place is perched on my finger lol. Thank you all for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page