Question about Brother's Dog *Update....Good News* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Question about Brother's Dog *Update....Good News*

My brother told me last night that he and his wife basically do not want their dog anymore. I'm not sure what breed of dog she is , but she's fairly big, black and kinda skinny. Anyway, she keeps digging and getting out of the yard and they are getting tired of it. They have an electric fence but I guess she is still digging underneath, like foot and a half deep holes. He was saying he wants to give her to my parents which I think would be a bad idea...they don't have a fenced in yard and they have a dog already and several cats...my brother admitted that Bailey hates cats. I suggested that maybe his in-laws could take her and that maybe she wouldn't be so bored because then Bailey could play with their dog Belle. But he said they both dig out when they are together (his in-laws bring Belle over to play with Bailey on most days since they live right by them). He mentioned that hitting her was not helping the problem...I didn't comment on this at the time because I could tell it was not the time to do so, but obviously he is confused if he thinks that will help the problem...I doubt she knows why she is being punished.
I think she is pretty bored...I don't think they really play with her anymore and I they used to have her in a nice front yard with plenty of trees...now she is in the backyard with nothing but one small tree in it.
They said they do not want to spend $300 on a new fence thing (I think maybe one that shocks the dog when they come near it...I'm not sure what he was referring to when he talked about it).
I was maybe going to suggest that he needs to put an ad in the paper and find another home for her. I think it is pretty sad...it is his wife's dog that she had before she even married my brother (over 5 years ago) and I can't understand her wanting to give her up. I guess they are just tired of her getting out and then having to search for her all the time.
Does anybody have any suggestions that I could give them?

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I never had a dog dig under the fence, so I don't personally have a solution for you. It doesn't sound as if the inlaws' house would be a good move. I'm assuming they are thinking about the "no fence' type fence. It gives the dog a shock if they touch the property line. It's sad to think of the dog getting shocked, of course. I wish I knew the proper name for this. I found this idea on Google:

According to http://www.westieclubamerica.com/behavior/digging.html

a good way to prevent digging under the fence is to dig a trench, spread chicken wire over it, and fill it in firmly.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 08:34 PM

You dont even have to dig a trench. Tie the chicke wire along the bottom of the fench with zip ties. Make sure that about 2 feet extend from the bottom of the fence into the property flat against the ground and secure the chicken wire to the ground with tent stakes. You Can if you want to, just throw some dirt over the top to conceal the wire. No way is a dog going to dig through that. It would cost depending on the yard size but my guess is about $75. Go to the local feed store since they're cheaper than the hardware store for the chicken mesh and a camping store for the stakes. If you have an army surplus store, they could be cheaper there too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 08:16 AM

Chicken wire works well.
I have a dog that digs holes also but not at a fence line. With him, I bury some of his feces in the holes, that way he will leave it alone. Granted, he usually just starts a new hole In his case it's most likely some rodent under the ground he's trying to get at though. For a fence digger, I'd suggest the chicken wire. I have friends who use the invisible fences for dogs that go over/under fences, but those actually take a lot of training to have them work properly. They are really not a "quick" fix.
Another thing they could try is to pour some concrete at the base of the fence. Make the first foot or so along the fenceline undiggable.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM

They need to find a new home for their dog. If they are unwilling to put any effort into finding a solution for the digging except to get another type of electrical fence then they are not going to be willing to do behavior modification with her either. The fact that they hit her means that they don't understand behavior modification in dogs.

There are plenty of dog rescue agencies around the country. Can you help get a list together of those places in your area to give to him?

The one solution I can think of if he is unwilling to give up the dog is to install a dog run which tethers the dog to a leash which is attached to what looks like a clothes line. Other folks who have "digging" dogs have also installed large sandboxes where they then have taught the dogs to dig but, again, this takes patience and practice to get the dog to understand that the sandbox is the appropriate place to dig.

I truly feel for your position in all of this. It sounds like you know what's going on is wrong but are caught between saying what is on your mind and alienating your brother
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Okay, I got some more information last night. I don't think they have an electrical fence that is working and that is what they don't want to spend the money to fix...I guess it is broken. They have a chain link type fence that goes around the backyard. The backyard is about half an acre so I don't know how much that would cost to put in chicken wire.
She is getting out every night and then she will go down to his in-laws house where Belle (in-law's dog) is. Then she wakes up his father-in-law (barking and trying to get into Belle's pen with her) and then the father-in-law has to take Bailey back to her yard at 3:00 a.m. every night. So I guess it is getting frustrating. I still don't know why they couldn't just keep the two dogs together each night in Belle's pen...she has a kennel and I think they said it was 8 by 16 ft. (maybe 8 by 22, I don't remember) but I guess his father-in-law doesn't want to do that.
They didn't sound like they were sure of what they were going to do. I will probably try and talk to them again and ask them about chicken wire and the possibility of her going to live with the in-laws. If not, I think they need to find her another home.
By the way, she is a plott hound. http://www.treehound.com/treehound/html/plott.html

Shannon
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Premier Cat

Is the dog spayed? When my doggy Polo wasn't neutered yet he would jump 6 ft. fences and runaway all the time. He even jumped 7 ft. fences
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Yes, she is spayed.

Shannon
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 11:59 AM

Looks like a beauty and, as its part of the hound group, a VERY DETERMINED DOG!!!

I'm confused, too, b/c it does seem like there is a simple solution BUT I am not the person who would have to take care of the extra dog. It does sound like you will have to ask all of these questions that you are stating to us, though, to get comfortable with the situation (if you can get comfortable with it).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 12:44 PM

It sounds like she is mainly running away in the middle of the night? Couldn't they just bring her inside at night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page