Looking for a new cell phone plan - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Looking for a new cell phone plan

Need some advice from all you cell phone experts...

Hubby and I want to get a plan that we can share. Here's the things we need to consider in a new plan:

Reasonable monthly price (we will not be giving up our land lines)

We have no coverage at our home, so for us free nights and weekends are virtually useless.

No need for fancy phones -- basic models are fine

Provider with good nationwide coverage

That's all I can think of. Does anyone have a plan that they would recommend?

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 02:19 PM

I have T-mobile which has been good for me.
I have the very basic service so it's only $23/mo. The nice thing about T-mobile is that you get free calls between t-mobile phones. I know some other plans are that way also.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:58 PM

Verizon has treated Crystal and I pretty well. They have plenty of different packages - which one specifically would be up to you.

They also have pre paid plans which seem like a great idea for people who don't use the phone that much.

Also they have free calling between other Verizon users like a lot of other services, but you'd be surprised how many of the people you call and work with have their service through Verizon.

They have very good family share plans that allow you to share minutes and you can adjust the usage minutes at any time - so if you see you are using more/less, you can adjust as necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:46 PM

We have Cingular which allows you to call other Cingular folks for free. I have 1000 other minutes and pay 35 dollars a month. My phone is definitely "no frills" and cost me nothing but normally runs 50 dollars. It's the entry-level Nokia.

I know a lot of folks who have Verizon, too, but just spent all day yesterday with my mom and her SO who received an EMAIL that told him the following:

after 25 years of service with the company in June, the company will no longer contribute to his retirement OR his health care. He's in management but this affects ALL of their employees. They will also start laying off employees next year. This after they had unprecedented profits last year so the company does not need the money.

It will be a cold day in **** before I give a penny to Verizon. I'm switching to cable intenet from DSL and have cancelled my landline order from them at the new house.

So if you have a choice I ask you not to choose Verizon
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
T-mobile is very good.

However, before they had the free cell-to-cell calling (between T-mobile callers), they charged my fiance with $80 overage one month and $200 overage another month.

If you don't want a fancy phone and only use your cell for emergencies, you should just get a pre-paid phone. They are much cheaper.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EChryst
Verizon has treated Crystal and I pretty well. They have plenty of different packages - which one specifically would be up to you.

They also have pre paid plans which seem like a great idea for people who don't use the phone that much.

Also they have free calling between other Verizon users like a lot of other services, but you'd be surprised how many of the people you call and work with have their service through Verizon.

They have very good family share plans that allow you to share minutes and you can adjust the usage minutes at any time - so if you see you are using more/less, you can adjust as necessary.
I agree...Erik beat me to it. I've had Verizon since I first got a phone in 2000 and I really have no problems with them. We have a family plan with my dad and it works great for all of us.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Tom Cat

I also have Verizon and the reception is better than Cingular or TMobile. The very first cellular service I had was Cingular and was with them for at least 3 years, then switched to T-Mobile (due to friend's pressure) and now with Verizon. Verizon overall has better reception, but it just happens that the reception inside my house isn't too great, so you have to check that too.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:03 PM

Our is bad in some places, too, but that comes with all cell phones -- you can buy antenna booster stickers to put inside your cell phone, they work great.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
...you can buy antenna booster stickers to put inside your cell phone, they work great.
Yeah and they only make the radiation get into your head quicker....

Make sure to wear a helmet!!

Just kidding.. in all sincerety, the cell phone booster work well, especially when I put two of them in my phone. I can get 5 + bars of reception in my cinderblock walled prison-type building
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
Our is bad in some places, too, but that comes with all cell phones -- you can buy antenna booster stickers to put inside your cell phone, they work great.
My fiance's brother sells those on ebay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page