Questions about a fireplace hearth padding kit... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Questions about a fireplace hearth padding kit...

Well, my 10-month-old tots have been able to stand a while now and Nate just got a leg up on the fireplace hearth yesterday. I'm kind of freaked about him slipping and and banging his head on the hearth.

I've done some online research looking for padding kits to be placed on the hearth and have found a few. The one I really like is sold by a mom-and-pop organization and it actually adheres to the entire hearth, covering the landing part of the hearth as well as the corners and edges. Problem is, it's $70 and I wish I could find something cheaper.

Doing some more research led me to a few places that sell the kits that are a little cheaper and cover the corners and edges only but that still leaves the top part of the hearth without a cushion in case the kids slip and hit their heads.

Do any of you use these padding kits on your fireplace, know someone who does and would recommend what they have or at least know of any place that I could contact online or wherever that would be a little cheaper than $70? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Cool Cat

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for you. I know my brother and sister-in-law just used pillows to cover up the corners on their fireplace when their daughter was little.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I don't know

I think the corners and edges would be enough cushioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 06:50 PM

My mom went to a place like Home Depot and just got a piece of carpet cut that she folded over the edges.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
My mom went to a place like Home Depot and just got a piece of carpet cut that she folded over the edges.
You know, I had thought about just getting a carpet remnant 'cuz it would be so much cheaper than anything else, but how did your mom fix it to the hearth? Ours is made of cut granite so I'm not sure how to make a carpet stick. Maybe some epoxy glue?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:47 AM
Tom Cat

Sounds like a job for our resident handy man... TIM!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal211
You know, I had thought about just getting a carpet remnant 'cuz it would be so much cheaper than anything else, but how did your mom fix it to the hearth? Ours is made of cut granite so I'm not sure how to make a carpet stick. Maybe some epoxy glue?
Yeah, some type of clue that would stick to bricks...if you ask someone up there in that department I'm sure they'll know something that would help. She made this almost 15 years ago so I'm sure there's different things on the market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page