Brokeback Mountain - who's seen it? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Brokeback Mountain - who's seen it?

'Brokeback Mountain' has been out in select locations for only a few days, but the buzz surrounding this film is something phenomenal. It pulled in a staggering $109,000 per theatre on opening weekend in its limited, five-theatre debut - contrasted with Harry Potter's $26,000 per theatre when it opened. It's already racking up the awards and nominations, including seven Golden Globe nominations.

I'm dyyyying here in Ohio, waiting for it to make its way to Columbus. 'Brokeback' is opening to a slightly wider release this weekend, but I don't know if Columbus is included in that. I might have to wait until the national release in January. I managed to find the short story online (it's in its entirety on the 'New Yorker' website, for anyone interested), and it's doing a fine job of holding me over. Sobbed like a baby and still get teary every time I think of it. Been a long time since a story had this kind of impact on me. If the movie is anything like the story - by all accounts, it's even better - this is going to be one heckuva powerful movie. Definitely a must-see.

So... has anyone out there in Cat Forum land seen it yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM

not yet! grrrr! i'm in the midst of finals and have no time to watch a movie. i will have to wait until after dec. 22 (last day of finals) to see it.

i even convinced my bf to come with me!!! yay! there's an article in the sf chronicle (www.sfgate.com) that talks about how most movie theatres in SF that's playing Brokeback Mountain sold out. the article also points out that a large majority of the viewers were men. i guess i'll be one of the few females there. oh well. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:20 AM

I'd never heard of this so I just googled it and it sounds awesome, and from the reviews I've read it sounds extremly powerful. Probably not released in the UK for a while yet, so should I read the book first d'ya reckon? Is the book called Brokeback Mountain too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM

Actually, Brokeback mountain was short story featured in the New Yorker a few years back. Here's a link to the original short story.

http://www.newyorker.com/printables/arc ... _archive01

The first paragraph, for whatever reason, was not included. You can find that paragraph on this website (just scroll down and search for it, it's all the way on the bottom)

http://blogs.salon.com/0001137/stories/ ... ntain.html

I haven't read it yet, but I will after finals.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM

The release date for Canada is 23 Dec but we are definitely going to see it (as well as the Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter and every other movie we are supposed to see over the next two weeks but won't actually get time until our vacation week).

Matt actually suggested it (probably in the hopes he wouldn't have to sit through another harry potter movie)
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:52 AM

I saw it and loved it. an extremely thought-provoking love story. It handles all sorts of issues in a very sensitive manner and I am not at all surprised to see it getting these accolades. I'm thrilled about it actually

Heath Ledger deserves an Oscar as does Ang Lee!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 11:44 AM

I can't wait to see it. Now I just need to find it playing somewhere...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
Probably not released in the UK for a while yet, so should I read the book first d'ya reckon?
Totally up to you. I always prefer taking them in the order created - since the story was written first, I read it first. Since it's a short story, there's not really any danger of anything being left out of the film version, and from what I understand, the film is pretty faithful to the story.

In my opinion, the text is just perfect. Beautifully rounded and such a devastating, accurate portrayal of the emotions that must be felt in such circumstances. Intensely complex.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Cool Cat

Re: Brokeback Mountain - who's seen it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
'Brokeback Mountain' has been out in select locations for only a few days, but the buzz surrounding this film is something phenomenal. It pulled in a staggering $109,000 per theatre on opening weekend in its limited, five-theatre debut - contrasted with Harry Potter's $26,000 per theatre when it opened. It's already racking up the awards and nominations, including seven Golden Globe nominations.
I am not overly impressed with the figures. It is a case of using statistics to create a buzz. It only opened in 5 theaters that had multiple showings and the theaters were in areas that have a large percentage of gays so of course it is going to sell out! For those that don't know, it's about 2 gay cowboys.

I don't know if it's any good or not - I don't go much for hyped up movies. But then again I rarely go to the movies anymore anyways! lol I hate spending $12 to watch a movie while listening to some idiot eat their popcorn with their mouth open! lol I would rather wait til it comes out on video.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Whisperer
I am not overly impressed with the figures. It is a case of using statistics to create a buzz. It only opened in 5 theaters that had multiple showings and the theaters were in areas that have a large percentage of gays so of course it is going to sell out!
I challenge you to find ANY other film in recent history that netted those kinds of figures in recent history, regardless of topic, genre, or location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cat Whisperer
For those that don't know, it's about 2 gay cowboys.
Not really. The two main characters are gay cowboys. It's about much more. I encourage you to read the story and form your own opinion about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page