Hamsters. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Hamsters.

As explained in a different thread, I got two more fish from Pet Supplies Plus. I got another Mixed Fruit Tetra (White Skirt Tetra) and another Neon Blue Gourami. Well, the new Gourami was sick and I didn't know until she developed red spots all over her! She died from the sickness. Never buy fish from Pet Supplies Plus again! Well, the other Gourami bit her, then he got it, then my first Mixed Fruit got it, then my second Mixed Fruit and my two Serpae Tetras bit her. Well, she died. So now, I have the new Mixed Fruit from Pet Supplies Plus & the two Serpaes. I know they are going to get it and they won't make it---my tank's infected!

Well, back to the purpose of this thread, this is what I want to do with it. I would like to get a hamster or two (did that with our two hamsters before and they got along). Well, I was wondering if it's a good idea. We'd clean the tank out, disinfect it and do whatever with it. We had two hammies before named Charlie & Oscar and they were in a 10 gallon fish tank together and lived without ever fighting. What do you think? Any opinions? Are hamsters easy to care for? Any high maintnece? What are the best breeds to get? What are the best breeds that get along with each other and are long lived? Is it best to get a male and a female (would be kinda cool--extra hammies ), two males or two females? Are they generally nice? My brother's hammy wasn't. (Go Figure--He had a male for an owner (no offense to anyone)). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meaghan

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:44 PM

I just recently bought a PANDA BEAR hamster. they have sweet non-nippy personalities and they have short hair so i find they are alot cleaner that alot of the regular hammies with the fluffy coats.

i think it makes a great pet for someone who is a beginner who wants a lower maintnence rodent

personally. rats are alot cooler, they dont bite, theyre smart, can learn to come to their names, fetch and more and have more personality. plus you can throw dog toys and stuff in the cage with them and they play with them and try to solve things. picture a dog the size of a rat. theyre so smart

just remember never to house rodents on any woodchip other than aspen. ANY pine or cedar chips are BAD...can cause premature death and respiratory failure. a good bedding is alot of the beddings made out of recycled papers...just ask, and theyre often cheaper to buy.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via AIM to Megan1216 Send a message via MSN to Megan1216 Send a message via Yahoo to Megan1216
Thanks for the info. I might get a rat instead.

*~*~*Megan*~*~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM

Hey, its good advice, trust me, i used to breed exotic strains such as blue himilayan, blazed trimese and blue agouti with dumbo ears.

rats are so gentle and tame that you can open theyre mouth, play with their teeth, clip their nails and they will never become aggressive with you. rats have been known to become so bonded with their owner that some die of lonelyness if their owner gets rid of them.

they wait for you to come say hi and often will lick you all over your hands in sheer happiness. when they are really happy, they make crunching noises in their mouth that sounds like they are chewing rocks...this is called "bruxing" its very similar to a purr coming from a cat. when they are beside themselves with happiness, they Brux so hard that their eyes start to jiggle in their sockets and look like theyre gunna pop outta their head. this is a REALLY happy rat.

did you know that a rat is healthiest if its fed a diet of mostly people food. whatever you make for dinner, give her a small plate and shes happy. treats are fine too, just not sticky sugar. cheezies and chips, gummy bears, marshmallows...all good. they like all veggies, hunks of meat, pastas (dry or cooked) even frozen peas and corn in a bowl. just no almonds or onion.

I own a rat right now that has lived its life soley on human food (test from my breeding years) it has lived 4.5 years to this point and still going strong..already double a rats normal life span and has never had an illness or a tumor

the best thing about rats is they can be litter trained, so they can freerange around the room without pooping or peeing and they can ride around on your shoulder all day and be happy.

A rat is the one animal that is almost as devoted as a dog. they will love you till the day they die and have been known to hold out when it is their time until you hold them, and then they go peacefully.

I will always love this species, they have such a special place in my heart
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 PM

Rats cant live alone....if your parents allow you to get rats....
you need to buy 2.... not 1.... 2
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
It seems you plan on using your aquarium for the housing of your new pets...or am I wrong?

Just to let you know if you're considering rats, they *can* live in aquariums, but there tends to be poor ventilation and it's not very highly reccomended. You also need to make sure their accomodations are big enough

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-15-2005, 11:01 PM

A 10 gallon aquarium is not large enough for 1 rat.

Maybe the hamster idea is better.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 AM

no a ten gallon is not large enough. but it is not hard to find cages or larger aquariums at 2nd hand stores for next to nothing,

and rats shouldnt be alone, they are social BUT if they are, they require attention because they can bond with YOU as a littermate, but you need to have alot of time for them if they are solitary.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:26 AM

Syrian hamsters should never live together. They are the only solitary rodent. Other breeds of hamster can live in same sex pirs or males can be neutered.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 09:35 AM

Willow....I have been studying alot about rats and joined a rat forum about a month ago...my rat babies are coming home today.
I not saying I know it all but from everything they have taught me...
only 1 condition should a rat be alone...is if he is a rat aggressive rat, which happens very rarely.
Rats in pairs will bond much better to you because they
encourage each other to be brave and explore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page