Introducing Puppy to 6 year old Cat? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Introducing Puppy to 6 year old Cat?

Hello everyone,
I haven't posted in a while, it has been a busy few months. I am wondering if anyone here knows the best way to introduce a puppy to our 6 year old cat, China. We are picking up the puppy on Sunday and China has never been around a dog before. We got a small dog who will only grow to about 14 pounds. Any tips from anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Well, when Bear was a puppy I just let her loose with the cats. She obviously was well supervised, simply because she was puppy!
As a puppy, she was smaller than the cats (she's now 60lbs!), so the cats weren't afraid of her. They didn't like her, but they weren't afraid of her and I wasn't afraid of her hurting the cats either.
For the most part she was just curious, and the cats just didn't like the new intruder! The only thing I stressed was she was NOT allowed to chase the cats.
Don't allow behavior from a puppy that you don't want the DOG to do.

Jennifer
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 AM
Premier Cat

This article may be of help to you. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
That's a good article. Puppy might get a smack on the nose, despite your caution. That's a hard lesson, but there's not usually a lack of respect for kitty paws after that!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:47 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Chris!! Nice to see you back!

So you got the puppy your son wanted! That's great. I don't have any advice about the intro. I can tell you from experience you should hide all your shoes and socks -- the puppies we had growing up always chewed them.

Can't wait to hear all the details.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lymekaps
So you got the puppy your son wanted! That's great. I don't have any advice about the intro. I can tell you from experience you should hide all your shoes and socks -- the puppies we had growing up always chewed them.

When Bear was a puppy, after she ate my couch, my carpet, and even a hole in the wall (she had to be confined to a small room after surgery during her "teething" phase"-but I was NOT supposed to keep her in a crate) I decided the reason puppies are so dang cute is purely a self defense mechanism!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 05:57 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You know it! Puppies and kittens know the score. They act cute on purpose! Nothing is sacred, and nothing is safe, not even your toes!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 06:57 PM

Ooo I'm good at answering to these kinds of things because of another forum I go to...

*Find cat
*Put puppy on leash
* start by slowly moving foreward to your cat
*Come to a stop
*Puppy will strain, but pet him/her and hold him/her back firmly
*The cat will probably walk away
*do this everyday for about 5 days
*Cat and dog will probably get along if they ever come in contact with eachother!

(this might work, it might not)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page