Drunk Driving Rage - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Drunk Driving Rage

We have a huge drunk driving problem in New Mexico. Our laws are so lax that it's not uncommon to see on the news someone getting the 27th or 28th DWI arrest. Yes, 27th or 28th Plus, it's not uncommon for these crashes to happen during RUSH HOUR traffic, it's not just the middle of the night anymore!
We've recently had a rash of really bad drunk driving crashes. The early hours of Thanksgiving, 3 people were killed. A taxi driver and his 2 passangers. The 2 passangers ironically were on their way home from a night out at the bars. They took a cab home, unfortunately the guy who plowed through the red light and totalled the taxi killing all 3 inside did not
About 2 weeks ago we had a school principle arrested for drunk driving. This is about the 3rd school official in the last year arrested for drunk driving. We had a superintendent killed last year after driving drunk.
Last weekend a 18yr old kid was killed when a drunk driver crossed the center line and crashed into his car.
Then tonight on the news they had a story about a 17yr old girl who crashed into a house last night on her way home from a party. Luckily no one was hurt in that crash.
We have a horrible problem with drunk driving yet they don't do ANYTHING about it. Probably because at least once a year a judge or legislator makes the news for getting a DWI
When they do try to do something about it, the ACLU steps in and fights it because it's not fair to the poor drunk drivers.......Last year they tried to implement a law saying that first time DWI offenders have to have an ignition interlock installed in their cars-a device that requires you to blow a 0 B.A.L. before the car will start. The ACLU (and some legislators) fought it because it would basically be an unfair embarresment to the people required to have it. Boo Hoo, don't drink and drive and you won't have to have it They thought they would "compromise" and make it so that ALL REGISTERED DRIVERS in NM have to have this so that the DWI offenders wouldn't be singled out. What???? In what world does that make sense?
I'd go one step further. Make people with a DWI get an ignition interlock PLUS make them get a bright red license plate on their car so that when I'm driving home from work at 3pm, I will know which cars to avoid!!!!!!!
If you don't want a scarlet letter, don't drink and drive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Cat Addict

Re: Drunk Driving Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
Last year they tried to implement a law saying that first time DWI offenders have to have an ignition interlock installed in their cars-a device that requires you to blow a 0 B.A.L. before the car will start.
Frankly, I think the notion of installing something like that in a car is laughable. I am emphatically anti-alcohol, but I find this to be ridiculous. It's too bad that we can't all be responsible, caring for ourselves and others. I take a great deal of pride in being the designated driver - maybe it's just the 'mommy' in me.

Here in Ohio, those who've been convicted twice of DWI have bright yellow license plates. I love it, and I wish all states did likewise.

I'd be interested in seeing some information about how the ACLU somehow blocked these initiatives. Do you have any links about it?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 09:32 PM

I can't stand drunk drivers and I think that's horrible.

I had a friend in high school who died drinking and driving. I feel bad that she died and she's gone...but it was her fault and I'm still angry at her. Luckily the two girls in the car with her survived.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Quote:
Last year they tried to implement a law saying that first time DWI offenders have to have an ignition interlock installed in their cars-a device that requires you to blow a 0 B.A.L. before the car will start.
Frankly, I think the notion of installing something like that in a car is laughable. I am emphatically anti-alcohol, but I find this to be ridiculous. It's too bad that we can't all be responsible, caring for ourselves and others. I take a great deal of pride in being the designated driver - maybe it's just the 'mommy' in me.

Here in Ohio, those who've been convicted twice of DWI have bright yellow license plates. I love it, and I wish all states did likewise.

I'd be interested in seeing some information about how the ACLU somehow blocked these initiatives. Do you have any links about it?
I remember the radio people talking about the ACLU when this was big in the news, but apparently I was wrong about what they were challenging since both stories were in the news at the same time. The ACLU challenged the cities new plan to seize cars of DWI offenders at the time of arrest.
http://www.thenewmexicochannel.com/news ... etail.html
They were also challenging our new red light cameras.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Cat Addict

Some of you might remember hearing about several years ago a drunk driver hitting a school bus near Carrollton, KY. Since then, the laws have REALLY been beefed up here. 3rd offense DUI is now a Class D felony (1-5 years), and if someone dies due to a drunk driving crash, then the commonwealth pursues either manslaughter or negligent homicide charges and wrongful death lawsuits are allowed. It actually seems to have made a big difference.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 10:42 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
I remember the radio people talking about the ACLU when this was big in the news, but apparently I was wrong about what they were challenging since both stories were in the news at the same time. The ACLU challenged the cities new plan to seize cars of DWI offenders at the time of arrest.
I would agree with the ACLU's opinion on this one. It would be nice to simply take their cars when you have the chance, but violating due process of law is inappropriate.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:33 PM

If i could wave the magic wand and have my fix for the problem, i believe it would be this.

1st driving under the influence offence (1 to 3 years in jail)
2nd driving under the influence offence (another 3 to 5 years in jail)
3rd driving under the influence offence (another 5 to 10 years in jail + never allowed to drive again, driving after revoking of driving license would double jail time)
If at anytime anyone is killed by the drunk driver, it isn't vehicular manslaughter, but raised to a full murder charge with what ever the state law says for murder punishment in effect.

Just my thoughts on it all.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphrodeia
Crystal and I are both from Ohio so we know all about the DWI plates. It's funny to see a driveway full of cars that all have DWI plates. And on the road there is always a "safety area" around the cars that are driving.

Too bad at 3 AM when they are blitzed, driving at 90 mph, and blowing through red lights, license plates are hard to see when they hit you from the side....

The military is very stringent on DUI/DWI. This is the maximum punishment. Sometimes Soldiers don't get max, it is their commander's decision. And they can receive one or all of the punishments:

(1) Admonition or reprimand.

(2) Correctional custody: not more than 30 days.

(3) Forfeiture: not more than 1/2 of one month's pay per month for two months.
Pretty much a full month's pay.

(5) Reduction in rank
Losing all promotions and extra pay that came with it

(6) Extra duties: not more than 45 days.
Work after work. End the work day around 5, extra duty until 10-11 -- menial tasks like raking leaves, cutting the grass, shoveling snow, the time is consecutive. Still have to do this on weekends and holidays as well

(7) Restriction: not more than 60 days.
Making you live in the barracks if you are not married. Only places you can go are for food (Chow Hall), place of employment, place to practice religion

In addition, most places take your driving priveleges for at least a year on Army posts, in addition to off post.

The Army does not tolerate DUIs. More than one and you are most likely kicked out without an honorable discharge - meaning less benefits and less job opportunities
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:46 PM

I'll tell you what... the military can be more lenient than you'd think. I got a ticket by an MP on post for parking(well I was still in the car with it running with my foot on the brake, not in park, waiting for someone) in a fire lane. I was about to freek out when the guy said I could get twelve tickets before having my on post driving privalages revoked for a month. Hubby runs the Urine Analysis tests sometimes. A guy tested possative for tiny bits of Meth, and a huge amount of marajuana. His commander told him to stay put until he could talk to him. The guy rushed home and dumped all his drugs in the neighbor's trash and got caught doing it. He got extra duties for I think two weeks and demoted one pay grade... from E4 to E3. So pretty much a slap on the wrist. The next guy that I know of, had a little marajuana in his system and got the boot. It IS up to your commander and they take drugs just as seriously as DUI, but usually, it's just a slap on the wrist. And the guy that was a platoon seargant who cheated on his wife with one of his subordinents in my bathroom after a party who drove home completly smashed, they didn't do anything to at all. Hubby went up the chain of command and they kept it hush hush. Cheating on your wife is also punishable in the military. I do have a brighter/sad story. My daughter went to a private kindergarten. The lady that owned it was very nice and well respected... I believe her husband held an office in AZ as well. She was driving drunk when she crossed the center line going about 50mph over the speed limit and went head on in her SUV into a mini van. She killed all but one passenger. The husband survived but the three kids and the pregnant wife didn't. She got vehicular manslaughter and is now serving at least 25 years in jail. I believe she got her property taken from her as it went up for sale by the state and is now owned by someone else.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 03:54 PM

Oh... I forgot. They must have that thing you all are talking about in AZ that tests your breath for alcohal to start your car because they messed up hubby's record saying he had a DUI in AZ that happened while he was in Iraq. His punishment was that breath thingy and then they said he got another DUI a few months later, he was still in Iraq, and he had his licence revoked. And then, since he didn't show up for his court date, he had a warrent out for his arrest and some time in jail for something... but he was still in Iraq. So we had to hire a lawyer to get it wiped from his record and it still took forever. Could've messed with his security clearance and still could unfortunatly. Someone stole his identity I'm sure. But my point was that AZ is pretty good at punishing lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page