Dog Question: Kennel Cough - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Send a message via AIM to ChiaZ Send a message via MSN to ChiaZ Send a message via Yahoo to ChiaZ
Dog Question: Kennel Cough

(wasn't sure where to post this)

Hey everyone our dog Bear is a year old. Yesterday my mom took him on his daliy walk to the park and he started coughing as if something was stuck in his throat, but after a few seconds he stopped. Now this morning since verly early on he's been coughing a very flemy cough, but only seems to be when he's excited. We called the vet and they said Kennel Cough has been going around, or it can possibly be that there is some grass stuck in his throat, which I think is unlikly because there is sooo much snow on the ground. So he's going into the vet first thing tomorrow morning.
IF this is kennel cough how do dogs go about catching it? he hasn't been exposed to anyother dogs/dog parts except our neighbours dog, which he regularly sees. Could this mean that she has it too? or can possibly get it? We also have a kitten could she catch it?

Chiara
~~ mommy to Kahlua (as of Oct 25/04)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 PM

There is a vaccination for kennel cough.
I do give my dog the vaccination because we do have to board him about once a year.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 01:22 PM

Kennel cough

Kennel cough is most commonly associated with a bacterial infection caused by the organism Bordetella bronchiseptica. While it is hard to be certain in veterinary medicine when discussing statistics, it is estimated that 80 to 90% of the cases of kennel cough are due to this organism. The other 10 to 20% of cases are caused by a variety of other infectious agents, most of them viral. Kennel cough has been associated with parainfluenza virus, adenovirus and canine distemper virus as well as the Bordetella bacteria.

The incubation period from the time a dog is exposed until clinical signs appear varies depending on which infectious agent is the cause. In general it appears to be about 3 to 5 days with Bordetella. The infection tends to be mild except for a very harsh cough that often prompts owners to think that their dog "has something caught in his throat". In some dogs it can lead to pneumonia or more serious signs. Cough suppressants can be used to control the cough and antibiotics may be necessary for stubborn infections or to try to stop the spread of the bacteria in multiple dog households. It is probably a good idea to vaccinate dogs who will be exposed to large numbers of other dogs, such as at shows, obedience classes or the classic cause -- when left in kennels. The intranasal vaccine is pretty fast acting, providing some protection in as little as 5 days. The injectable version of the vaccine may provide longer immunity, though. Some vets use both to get maximum protection. We don't use either one routinely but give the intranasal vaccine to our patients who will be exposed to groups of dogs.
My Dog had this and I was told just to give him some over the counter cough stuff, like DM from Robitussin. Also just give him/her a Teaspoon of it*it will get messy* for about a week. If the dog is still coughing then take it to the vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:37 AM

My dogs have both had Kennel Cough. Its a pain in the butt but nothing to panic about. When it breaks out, it spreads like wildfire and hops from dog to dog very quickly. The reason its called Kennel Cough is because it flies through a kennel environment - lots of dogs in an enclosed limited space. It can be caught from any dog any where.

If Bear does have it, he could have caught it from anther dog, or the environment. If he copmes into cntact with other dogs whilst coughing, he can & will spread it, so keep him away from other dogs for a couple of weeks during treatment.

We normally prescribe 7-10 days antibiotics (Oxytetracine) and it normally clears it up really well. You MUST keep going & finish the course you get even if he stops coughing, though - we've had loads of clients stop giving the pills when their dog stops coughing, but the KC just comes back after a couple of days without the meds.

No, your cat won't be affected, and it won't affect you either. Yes, there are vaccines available, but they only imunise against ONE strain of KC, there are loads out there. My dogs actually caught their bout 2 weeks post-vaccination, so I haven't bothered since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page