Per request -- a yummy recipe - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Per request -- a yummy recipe

KitKat asked me to post this, so here goes:

Arroz con Pollo (Spanish Chicken and Rice)

1 whole chicken, cut up (I prefer to skin the chicken -- either way works)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion
1 jar green Spanish olives
1 jar capers
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
2 cups regular Uncle Ben's white rice (not the instant)

Fill a large pot about 2/3 full with water (the water should be enough to cover the chicken pieces). Bring to a boil and add the chicken. Reduce the heat to medium, cover partially, and cook the chicken for about 20-25 minutes. Remove the chicken and reserve the cooking water.

While the chicken cooks, heat the oil in a sauté pan and sauté the onion until soft, then add the olives, capers and tomato sauce.

Bring 4 ¼ cups of the cooking water to a boil, add the rice, stir in the onion mixture and then add the chicken on top. Cover the pot and cook according to the directions on the rice box (Uncle Ben’s cooks for twenty minutes).

The recipe can be doubled – just make sure you have a large pot and a stovetop that heats up well! Deeeelicious!

I like some spices, so I add some oregano, paprika, and black pepper to this. You can experiment a bit with what you like, as I do.

All edits in blue

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 PM

Ok....I can try this....

What are capers???

One question....doesnt the chicken get overcooked?
Because it basically gets cooked twice.
And have you ever done this with leftover Turkey?
Or would that be gross?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM

LOL!!!

Sorry more than 1 question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
Ok....I can try this....

What are capers???

One question....doesnt the chicken get overcooked?
Because it basically gets cooked twice.
And have you ever done this with leftover Turkey?
Or would that be gross?
LOL, lots of questions!!

Here's what capers look like:

As for what they are, I don't honestly know! They come in small jars and are usually near the olives in the grocery store. I often leave them out because I don't keep them in my pantry. The dish is still good without them.

The chicken turns out fine! Once in with the rice, the chicken just finishes cooking and sort of steams on top, so it's moist. You could cook the smaller pieces less if you want, or you could use all chicken thighs and legs, too.

I have never tried leftover turkey. The taste would probably be different because you wouldn't have the cooking liquid from the chicken. If you try it, cook the rice in chicken broth and add the turkey nearer the end of the cooking time.

I think it would be good and you could use up your leftovers. Always a good thing.

EDIT: I have wondered about what capers were exactly. You've prompted me to find out.

Check this link:

http://www.waitrose.com/food_drink/Reci ... Capers.asp

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Premier Cat

I'll have to use regular Asian rice since that's all we have. How big are the jars for olives and capers and I'm guessing I can use 1 lb. of chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken?

Another question - What does caper taste like? Can olives be omitted too since I don't like them
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
I'll have to use regular Asian rice since that's all we have. How big are the jars for olives and capers and I'm guessing I can use 1 lb. of chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken?

Another question - What does caper taste like? Can olives be omitted too since I don't like them
I have a 10 oz. jar of olives in my pantry, which looks like about twice what I would put in the recipe. Really, you can just put in what looks right to you. Capers usually come in small jars in the store -- probably 5 or 6 oz?

1 lb. of chicken thighs will work just fine.

I'm not a fan of capers. I find them a bit bitter. I'm not an olive fan either, but I like them in this dish. Oh, and they must be Spanish olives! I'll go back and add that. Maybe you could throw a few in to try them?

My mother didn't like alot of spices, so you'll notice that there's none in the recipe. I usually add some oregano, paprika and black pepper.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Premier Cat

OoOoh Spanish olives? Never heard of them, but I guess I can buy a jar to throw a few in, maybe it'll flavor it a bit. I hate buying jars of stuff like this b/c I never use them again in another recipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page