What are Your Family's Christmas and Hanukkah Traditions? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
What are Your Family's Christmas and Hanukkah Traditions?

Santa puts up the tree on Christmas Eve. Sometimes we set the tree in position, but he takes care of it as he makes his rounds. Of course, there is a plate of cookies and a cup of tea. I was shocked to discover that Santa DUNKS his cookies!

Everyone goes to church Christmas Eve. The girls sing in the choir and play the bells, and my son is an usher. Noone opens gifts until Christmas morning. I always read "The Night Before Christmas" Christmas Eve when the children were small.

Christmas morning, even now, Santa comes here for everyone, and everyone's gifts are put around our tree. OF course Santa goes to their houses first, but the children bring their personal gifts here. It's hard to move for presents!

The nativity scene is always the focal point under the tree and a china nativity set is placed on the sofa table.
After the gifts are opened, we have a ham dinner, and since I'm the cook, the girls load the dishwasher while I play the piano and encourage them to join me in singing carols and songs. The children are noisy and happy, and I join with them in trying the new toys. It's a noisy, happy blessed day with Christ at the center.

I wish you the blessings of this joyous day!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Cat Addict

Growing up, we would attend evening Mass. We'd have a big dinner on Christmas Eve, and after dinner, we opened gifts from family. Overnight, Santa would leave his gifts under the tree, and those gifts would be opened in the wee hours of the morning - as early as we could get Mom out of bed. The rest of the day would be spent watching Christmas videos, like ye olde classic Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, and enjoying the company of family.

Nowadays, it's little different. We omit church, replace the large dinner with something small and sensible, and do the gifts in the same manner. It's all about spending time with family, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Christmas Eve: My parents and 4 sisters and brother-in-law go to evening mass. Come home to my parents and eat soup. All gather in the living room and open presents from eachother. Then the sisters and I usually end up staying up really late being goofy or playing a game or doing a puzzle.

Christmas Day: Same people from Christmas eve plus my aunt, uncle, and cousin spend the day either at my condo (will be this year) or at my parents. Have a nice lunch and then open presents from eachother.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 07:42 PM

Growing up we traditionally did all the presents on Christmas Eve-after dinner and dishes were done! When my brother and I were younger we took our bath after dinner and that is when Santa came. We always heard the jinkle of raindeer as he was dashing off to the next house!
That was actually one of the days that we did NOT go to Church. Dad HATED crowds, so Christmas, Easter, and Palm Sundays we never went to Church All other Sundays, we went to Church.

Somewhere along the way we adopted a traditional Christmas Eve dinner of "Chicken Slime" I don't remember the real name-something French sounding, but it's basically Chicken wrapped up in lasagna noodles with sour cream, mushrooms, wine, and 3 or 4 different cheeses-really good stuff! Christmas day was normally spent watching movies (my brother and I always to this day need to watch "A Christmas Story", snacking on a veggie tray all day, with a big meal of standing rib roast or something similar.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Premier Cat

I grew up opening presents on Christmas morning. My husband and I do it differently every year. We are opening our gifts to each other at some point tomorrow. My family is coming over for dinner tomorrow night and we go to his families' celebration on Christmas day. Right now I am cooking and baking all I can ahead of time so I am not going crazy tomorrow.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 05:29 AM

Christmas is different in Denmark.

We have a "adventskrans" sorry I can not find the right word for it in english. It is a cirkel with 4 candles. Some cirkels are made of "things from the nature" others from silver, gold or porcelain. The last 4 sundays before the 24th, we light a candle ( first one, then 2 and so on)

We decorate the christmas tree at the 23th and we selebrate(sorry wrong spelling) christmas in the evening at the 24th.

The 24th a lot of people are going to christmasservice at the church (sorry I really need to find a dictionary)

We always start the evening at six o┬┤clock. Every family have their own tradition about the food, but mostly it is duck or turkey.
We also have a desert made out of rice, cream and almonds. We put one hole almond in the desert, and the one who get it, recieve a present specially bought for that.

Than we do the dishes, make cofee and light all the candles in the tree (that is the time all children is waiting for, they get to help with the matches(sorry again for the spelling )

We all take each others hands, and walk around the christmastree, singing our christmas songs.

Then we have our presents. It takes a looooooong time, in my house anyway, because the yongest is finding one present, the oldest read the cart and we all wait to see what is in it and it starts all over again.

the next 2 days we are having what we call christmaslunch. Perhaps you know the term "swedish smorgosbord". Well we have something similar, and everyone is eating and having a wonderfull time. Everything on the table is (in my family at least) homemade. It takes a lot of time to cook (some of it most december) therefor we take our time and enjoy it fully. Sometimes we sit at the table for 5 to 6 hours

That was a little about christmas in Denmark, where christmas is for most people a tradition and not so much about religion.
I work in a kindergarden and one of my children came to me some days ago and told me: "did you know that it is the birthday of Jesus on christmaseve?" I told him I knew "well did you know that we are all invited?". He is 4 years old.

Merry christmas everyone.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khin-Mya
Christmas is different in Denmark.

We have a "adventskrans" sorry I can not find the right word for it in english. It is a cirkel with 4 candles. Some cirkels are made of "things from the nature" others from silver, gold or porcelain. The last 4 sundays before the 24th, we light a candle ( first one, then 2 and so on)

I think we call that an advent wreath

There is meaning to the color of the candles, but I don't remember those.

My family actually did many of those same traditions, the advent wreath, the almond in the desert, etc...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 10:09 AM

Our whole family goes to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, even the children. On Christmas morning we open our presents and then have a big brunch, cooked by the men and then we don't eat again until the evening when we have our main meal. The day is traditionally spent playing with the children, eating too many snacky yummy things and crowding round the television to watch the Queen's speech in the afternoon. After that my siblings and I usually go for a long walk whilst the folks have a snooze (I have a bad ankle so I will be joining the snoozers this year!)

We are opting for some new games this year as no one will play trivial pursuits or scrabble with my Dad and I anymore so we have to see what everyone will bring to play - it will be lots of fun.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 11:32 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Leading up to Christmas, we have an Advent wreath and Advent calendar. On Christmas Eve we go to church; this year the family will be going to Vesperal Liturgy at the Orthodox parish where I attend.

Then, Chinese food (I don't remember how that particular tradition got started, but it's a favorite...)

We "open" stockings on Christmas Eve. They tend to get lost amid the hustle and bustle of Christmas morning, and we can take more time to enjoy them if we open them the night before.

On Christmas morning we take turns opening our presents one at a time, oldest to youngest (my little sister doesn't like that tradition so much ) Dinner has traditionally been ham, but this year we're taking a more laidback approach: BLTs.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-24-2005, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Stephie, do you have shortbread or plum pudding? I don't like plum pudding, but my mother always made it early, because my father's birthday is in December and he loved it! (He was from Devon.) Of course shortbread is Scottish. It's another of our family's traditions. I'm making it today.

Perhaps you know the mystery of figgy pudding. What is it? Is it like plum pudding?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page