after christmas shopping and bad weather - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

after christmas shopping and bad weather

So as some of you know I work at JCPenney's. Well it was nuts today with people returning stuff they didn't want. I got done at 2:30 and stepped outside and almost fell on my butt. The whole sidewalk, parking lot, and roads had a sheet of ice on them. It took me 15 min just to scrape the ice off my car. What I don't understand is why in the world would anyone risk their life along with their children to return a pair of socks from grandma???? It makes me sick. Not to mention 75% of the people had an attitude. I didn't have one person all day say excuse me if we got in each others way. I know some customers are really great and some have really made my day but this wasn't one of them. customer's were so stressed...people screaming at their kids, spouse, parent etc. Is it really worth it? Aren't the holidays supposed to be about family, love, peace, togetherness, forgiveness? I really hope I am out of retail by next year or I think I am going to have to find some deserted island to live on.

So any of you with christmas returns please be nice to the associates. Understand if they are a bit edgy it's because more than likely another customer made them that way and they are having to work a mile a minute. Take a deep breath and remember it's only a shirt, game, appliance, whatever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ugh, I feel your pain. I worked at the retail store, Old Navy, for five years and boy did I dread Christmas time! What always irked me was in fact the day after Christmas. It was always so busy and everyone is so EAGER to return those clothes that they didn't like. And they were always so mean about it too! I just wanted to say, "Hello!!! I didn't buy that ugly sweater for you so stop acting like I did!"

Working retail has really turned me off from the mall. I hate shopping and there is no way you'd catch me at the mall (as a customer at least) the day after xmas. I'd like to enjoy my day off from work rather than with pushy grouchy people at the mall!

Kris, hopefully come new years, and spring, business will slow way down and you won't have to deal with the frumpy holiday shoppers for long!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2005, 05:11 PM

I always wait 1 to 2 weeks post Christmas, to return/exchange any gifts. Just cannot stand waiting in line those impossible lengths of time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 01:50 AM
Cat Addict

Not only do I work retail, I am a supervisor. I work in the big ticket area where we really don't worry much about returns (at least not on a massive scale.) For whatever reason, I had to be stationed in the kids department today and monitor returns.

That was a serious pain, I never knew so many people would actually try to return the Christmas dress their kid wore the day before! Half of those people didn't have a reciept. Give me a break, I'm not taking back a worn item at all, especially without a salescheck.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 03:58 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
The first day after Christmas I would hit grocery stores and food places.

Christmas cookies=yummy

I am hitting pet stores tomorrow.

I am going to visit the malls next Monday
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Cat Addict

I don't know if it's worse working in retail or living with someone who's spent all day working the sales floor the day after Thanksgiving/Christmas, griping about it when they get home until they collapse on the couch and sleep off all the complaints from whining children, impatient mothers, unsympathetic fathers, etc., etc.

My boyfriend begged me not to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving, chanting "Don't feed the machine!!!" I just laugh because he is so funny about it. I have empathy for y'all in retail.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Banned

Re: after christmas shopping and bad weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
What I don't understand is why in the world would anyone risk their life along with their children to return a pair of socks from grandma???? It makes me sick.
Well Kris, people are motivated by only one thing...DOLLAR SIGNS! Yet another reason why I detest this cesspool society of ours... I mean, I really do hate how people become when it comes to holiday shopping during the "season of goodwill..." Ok maybe some people took advantage of a paid day off. But wake up! That item you want will still be around a week after New Years! I stayed indoors all day on the 26th. In fact, I was not even dressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyhart
My boyfriend begged me not to go shopping the day after Thanksgiving, chanting "Don't feed the machine!!!" I just laugh because he is so funny about it.
Katie, when I read that, I immediately thought of those the do go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. When they arrive at the stores, I can imagine them being greeted by Pink Floyd's Welcome To The Machine being played over the speakers!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:55 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
When they arrive at the stores, I can imagine them being greeted by Pink Floyd's Welcome To The Machine being played over the speakers! Laughing
His department controls what music is played on the overhead speakers -- I should mention this to him for next year!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Cool Cat

Sorry you got vented on!! That would suck! And after Christmas you would think the people would be more relaxed and nicer!!

I actually had a great day after Christmas shopping experience!!

I went to Macy's at 7am and got sheets (reg and flannel) and a blanket. I spent $104 and saved $207!!!! The sheets are 400 TC and were regularly $169, on sale for $49, closeout price was $39 and I had a 10% coupon!! The other stuff was also 50% off!
Then I went over to housewares and bought a 2-pack of Calphalon omelette pans (8" and 10"). Bundled together, regularly $89.99 marked down to $29.99, then 50% off that and then my 10% coupon!! So I bought 2 sets- one for me, one for my nephew and his fiance.

Then I went to JC Pennys and took advantage of their 6am-noon sale and bought new towells and bath rug, seat cover etc for 50% off!!

I am a happy camper with all new stuff!! I drove home from NorCal last night and can't wait to wash everything and get it all put out and on my bed!

And Manitu, you will be happy to know I was really nice to every single store employee; asked about their Christmas and wished them a Happy New Year too!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Cool Cat

I've always said that I could never waitress or work in retail, way too tough in my opinion. I think I'd want to punch someone in the nose at least once a day.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page