Aurora Borealis - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Aurora Borealis

Tonight was one of those nights, when it was clear enough to actually see some Aurora Borealis. I seldom see it, since we live in a downtown area and the city lights kills most of the "nordic light". But tonight it was a powerful shower from the sky and it was crossing right over our house. I actually didn't bring out the camera until at the end, since it was such a magic display that I didn't want to miss it. So here's the end of it...

Not the most imaginative images, but oh well... can't win them all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
MA

Oh wow - beautiful.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 07:19 PM

that is so awesome!!! i want to see that someday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:08 PM

OMG, OMG, I would have loved to see it. Can't imagine what it looked like live, even the pics look absolutely stunning and amazing. Beautiful. Can't wait to see it someday.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Premier Cat

That is so pretty. How often do you get those? Are they just bright displays of colors
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
It's so beautiful. I would love to see it in all of its glory. Once, quite a few years ago, my family and I saw light brown and amber streaks, and had no idea what it was, until we saw the news. The TV station had got hundreds of calls asking if it was the end of the world! Of course they explained that it was a very rare sighting of the aurora borealis.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Banned

Petra, BEAUTIFUL photos as usual! You nailed the exposure to a tee! And who cares if they are not the most imaginative images... You are showing us what you and your fellow Swedes saw with their own eyes! That is something that I have never seen in my part of the USA.

You know I have to ask this. How did you meter for them? Did you spotmeter off the aurora itself or the snow? Or did you use program mode with maybe some exposure compensation? Or was it the good old fashioned BLH (Bracket Like ****) mode? Also, did you shoot them in JPEG or RAW mode? Photo nerds like me love to hear that info!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2005, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!! It's such a beautiful thing to see it in full flare. Tonight was one of those night and if I had been out in the country, with no city lights at all, it would have been even more amazing. For instance, did you know they make sounds? It's a crackling sound, almost like a fire (well it's from the sun, so why not firey sounds?)

Don, I have to laugh at your question, but I totally understand!!

This is what I did... very simple really. Took one shot in P-mode, with infinity set on the lens (no chance to set focus on that one) and looked at the result. It was 30 seconds with f/4.0. It was a bit too bright (the street lights took over too much and it looked awful), so I just tighten up the aperture a tad but used 30 seconds in M mode. I think I ended up with f/5.6 or f/6... and then in post processing I did bring out the sky a bit more than the ground with a layer mask. If I hadn't had so much street lights around, I think that 30 seconds f/4.0 would have been perfect.

And yes, I did use a tripod and a remote to trip the shutter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 AM

Thank you for sharing those. IT is such a beautiful phenomenon. I have only seen it twice in real life. Those pictures are pretty darn close though. You captured them so perfectly.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 09:29 AM

Those are beautiful!
I remember we used to be able to see those up in the way northern part of WI.
I used to especially love the "dancing" ones that look like the shimmered
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page