?? about stereo brands... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

?? about stereo brands...

I learned a couple of weeks ago that the CD portion of my stereo has gone kaput so I was out tonight browsing at some new ones. I saw an Audiovox 5-disc changer with 1 tape deck and AM/FM radio for only $50! At first I thought "OMG! I've got to get it." But then, I started to question myself as to how such a piece of equipment would be so cheap so I wanted to find out if anyone on these boards has or has ever had an Audiovox system and what you think of/thought of it. I also saw an RCA brand 5-disc changer with 1 tape deck and AM/FM radio for $80. Am I just completely out of the loop with regards to the cost of stereo equipment or what? The last time I bought a stereo (approximately 10 years ago) it was a Sony 3-disc changer with 2 tape decks and AM/FM radio for over $200. Now they seem dirt cheap compared to the one I had.

I know I mentioned before that I've only ever had Sony brand stereo equipment before but the couple of Sony stereos that Target had looked a little too weird for me. I know - it's not supposed to matter how the package looks, it's supposed to be how the stereo works, but I just didn't like 'em.

I haven't gotten a chance to go out looking anywhere else yet but just wanted to know what some of you out there prefer and would like to know any horror stories you might have regarding faulty stereos. We just got a Best Buy in town that opened up a few days before Christmas so I haven't even begun to think about going in there yet. Brand new stores around here always take at least a month before they're not so crazy busy anymore. Maybe I'll have good luck finding something within a reasonable price range, yet good quality, there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Seee this post:

"Anybody has a BOSE acoustic system?"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Banned

I think you should let your ears decide.

All electronic equipment IS very cheap at this point in history. If it gets much cheaper, they'll be giving the stuff away, so I'm guessing it's probably a low point in pricing. But the technology you can buy for $X will continue to improve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by timskitties
I think you should let your ears decide.
Ditto

Shari
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 05:21 PM

I assume you are talking about a bookshelf system or boombox. In addition to listening to each one - preferably with a CD you know well - I would also recommend that you try to use most of the features that you might normally use. A lot of those systems have lots of cool-looking flashy lights and buttons, but to actually get it to do what you want is a real chore.

As for brands, Audiovox in my opinion is your typical very-low-budget brand. Their stuff seems to work about as well as you would expect for being an inexpensive brand. I doubt it will blow up or have smoke coming out, but you can expect that it will be a bit flimsy.

If I were you I would keep an open mind on the price and be willing to go quite a bit higher in price. at least if this is something you use a lot. There are some nice ones by philips and panasonic in the low to mid $100 range.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAsunder
As for brands, Audiovox in my opinion is your typical very-low-budget brand. Their stuff seems to work about as well as you would expect for being an inexpensive brand.

If I were you I would keep an open mind on the price and be willing to go quite a bit higher in price. at least if this is something you use a lot. There are some nice ones by philips and panasonic in the low to mid $100 range.
I've been thinking the same thing. Like I was saying in an earlier post, we just got a Best Buy in town right before Christmas so I'm gonna give the place a couple more weeks to cool down as far as customer level and see what they have.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Cool Cat

You may want to check the classified ads too, alot of this type stuff can be had at a cheap price. Got my last set of 50w Pioneer speakers for $5 dollars at a garage sale and I haven't changed to CD yet which is huge cost saving because the used record store sell cassette as low as $3 for fairly recent stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page