I was just terminated from my job. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

I was just terminated from my job.

I'm feeling really sad right now. After being laid off at my last job of 7 years, I started going to temp agencies until I finally got a job in customer service for an optical laboratory that makes and repairs prescription eye glasses for doctors to prescribe to their patients. I thought I would have a great secure future as this is very interesting stuff. It was a temp to hire position. Now today, a month later just after christmas and right before New Year I received a call from an employee of Remedy the temp agency that placed me that the optical company decided to terminate my employment. They didn't even talk to me about it first or give me any warning. They just let me go cold and I didn't find out until I got home from work today and called the lady from Remedy back. I asked why and she said, that they said I was argumentative and didn't have a very good attitude. I asked for specifics and she said they didn't specify. So here I am thinking and trying to figure out what may have come out of my mouth, what could I have said or done that had gotten me so quicky fired and without warning. Not too long ago I found out my boss doesn't like cats and was told by her assistant, also a lead with boss authority that she even has a bumper sticker joke on her car that says, "Cat, the other white meat." Instead of laughing I reacted very strongly to this and said that I found it offensive. I really hope they didn't fire me because of this as this has nothing to do with optical work. But otherwise I really can't think of anything that I was argumentative about. I tried so hard not to screw up. Remedy also said they they felt I didn't show enough enthusiasm and was I bored? Well, the truth is I really wanted to succeed. I was just nervous because it was such a long training process and there was so much I didn't get yet about optical stuff and a lot of times when they didn't have time to train me they would have me sit and read the optical stuff they gave me. That was fine with me. I guess I just shouldn't have mentioned that reading the same material over and over again got boring for me and that I prefer to do something productive. But I was not complaining. I simply said that I had preferred listening to the other customer service reps take calls to just sitting there and reading what I had already read 10 times. The work place is a very sensitive environment. You have to be extremely careful what you say and behave as perfectly as you can. One little wrong move can get you fired. Now I feel like a total failure and I can't stop crying.

Well there is hope. Remedy the temp agency is going to try to find me another job as soon as possible. Technically I was not employed by the optical lab. I am an employee of Remedy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 03:30 AM

And you'll get something even better.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Cat Addict

I'm so sorry! I actually had a similar experience with a temp agency. One of the employees at the company where I had been placed asked me about my heritage (German) and then asked me my religion (LDS). The next day I was fired. I like to look at it as a blessing in disguise. The very next week I started working for another company and six years later, I'm still here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Banned

Just think of it as if it wasn't the right job for you. It was just a trial run and it didn't work out. You're not a failure. Hopefully, the next will be just right.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:40 AM
Premier Cat

Oh, that's awful. I'm sorry to hear this.

They should have had the courtesy to talk to you if they felt there was a problem. The fact that they let you go with no explanation speaks volumes about the way they treat people. In the long term, it's just as well that you found this out now.

(((((hugs)))))

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Premier Cat

Better it happened now than later. I got terminated from my last job and felt horrible. The company was crappy to me and wanted to fire everyone. Then my friend, supervisor, got let go a few weeks after me, and now I found out the manager that let me go, got fired. Omg, I'm so glad I got out of there.

You will find something better. It sucks to work at a place where you feel like you're walking on eggshells
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:11 AM
Premier Cat

I'm so sorry, it sounds like you got a raw deal. After seven years they certainly could have done you the decency of talking to you first.
Best of luck finding something else quickly and I hope it is a good fit for you. Maybe you will find this was a blessing in disguise.
Take care.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

And I did feel like I was walking on egg shells. Of course the people who have been there for years are treated as the best friends to the company itself. I think the reason this happened to me is because I was a temp. Temps are not as valuable to companies as direct hire employees although it was a temp to hire position and being hired was my goal. The reason I go through temps is because it's a much easier way to find a job. Temp agencies have access to many companies and can quickly fit people who match certain positions. Before the optical job I had a job for 7 years that I found through a temp agency as a typist for alpha-numeric pagers and a Padres baseball ticket sales rep. Then we all got laid off because they decided to merge with a call center in Tijuana, Mexico. I've got to find a job as soon as possible. I have a $700.00 cat furniture bill to pay off. It's coming in the mail pretty soon and I've been waiting for it since November, 2 items from Angelical cat furnitue company. I'm sure many people would think I'm nuts to spend that kind of money on cat furniture. Well thank you so much for the support everyone and cosidering that I worked as a temp, it was a trial job and I have to be positive that I will find the right job. Optical stuff is hard anyway. It's a lot to take in and dealing with doctors on the phone can be hard when they're not very nice. Thank you.

P.S. It makes me now feel better to knock the company. Hoya Vision may be #1 in Japan and # 2 in the United States but my boyfriend goes to lens crafters. It's faster and the doctors don't have to wait for a lab to make the product and ship it to them. It's all in one building and when I get older and no longer have the luxury of 20/20 vision I'll go to lens crafters. By the way I learned something from the experience. Trivex is a much better material than polycarbonate. It can withstand 180 lbs of tension before it breaks and is great for drill mounting and provides better optics. Just in case any of you need new glasses.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Premier Cat

So how long have you been with this company? Was 7 years the previous company or the one that just let you go? Nobody should be working as a temp after 7 years if that is the case
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:33 AM
Cool Cat

Yep, just let them find someone better, they obviously passed on a good worker who is willing to do the job.

We have turn-over all the time because so many aren't willing to work.

And my 62 year old Mama was hired on full-time, over all the other people she worked with at a temp agency, we're so proud of her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page