Stop the RAIN!!!! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

Stop the RAIN!!!!

Hi Everyone,

Ok here is the update. By now, you probably have all seen the pictures I sent out this morning. http://www.clintsworld.com/flood Unbelievably, the water continued to rise even higher than in the pictures I sent you. So, in their infinite wisdom, the Petaluma Fire Department came through here in a Zodiac spurting off that everyone needed to evacuate...NOW!

They then proceeded to drive the boat to other side of our park in an attempt to get people out. However, they quickly concluded that the water was too deep for the rescue bus to reach the area. So, we all sat here watching the water rise, the rain coming down and people’s belongings floating down the road. About this time, news reporters for the Sonoma County Press Democrat were stranded in their vehicles and decided that we were the story of the day. So they got out their cameras and started taking pictures of the area and interviewing us, as we were the only home in the park that was accessible (having less than 3 feet of water around it).

To make a long story short, the water dropped enough to where we were able to get the pickup truck, our cat and ourselves out of the area. Like the Beverly Hillbillies, we loaded up the truck and went down to Marin only to find that the area down there was flooded as well. My sister’s home, in the town of San Anselmo, was flooded out only hours before we arrived. In addition, she suffered a great deal of damage. We all pitched in to help her clean up the debris and mud, but she is still without heat, hot water, and her generator was ruined.

We spent several hours down there all the while our cat, Tazz, freaked out by the entire goings on. I called the Police Department, the Fire Department, and the Red Cross, and no one could tell me when we would be able to get back into our home. We decided to SCREW the government bullshit and we made our way back home to start the clean up efforts here. There are still many residents still in evacuation shelters tonight. Moreover, there is no estimate as when these people will be returning.

For the time being, Tazz and the rest of us are back home with our emergency bags packed in case the flooding returns and we are once again forced out in the night. So there is the update, I do not know how long we will be at the house. Nevertheless, I feel better being in our home than in a shelter wondering if looters are in the area.

Clint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Senior Cat

didja lose power? we lost power down in San Jose like an elderly strobe light matching the hurricane force winds and rain (one hour on, three hours off etc)

Arcata and eureka were out of power for thirty hours, *sighs* the joys of california rainy season.
hope you're not too waterlogged
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
The weather is freaky this year. I am with my future in-laws right now and I cannot believe the AC is on this time of the year!!!!

Global warming is making everything wacky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Cool Cat

Wish you the best, I'm glad I got to read your first hand account otherwise I was really unaware how bad it was getting for folks out there.

I'll be paying closer attention to your post now, I've been without expanded basic cable and thankfull I got out of the 24 hr news programming but like with the flood in New orleans, there is some things I miss.

And your neigbors that are in more water gotta feel the same way about not leaving because of the looters, I would be the same too.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 06:10 PM

best of luck and be careful to all in the flood areas!

shengmei: i agree the weather is really freaky right now...we had tornadoes in Georgia in January!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Premier Cat

I hope you stay safe and everyone else too. That's so sad how you can't leave your home in peace, cause you know looters start coming out like cockroaches
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Hello All,

We never lost power and my guess on this is because we are on a HIGH PRIORITY circuit due to the Fire Department and Hospital being on the same circuit. The water is gone and all that remains is mud and damage! If you were to drive into the area now you would never know that just a few short hours ago, the water flowed through the streets at depths of 8-10 feet. I lucked out here there are many here that did not luck out so well and are finding themselves homeless and car less. In addition, because of the area most folks do NOT have flood insurance so their losses will be TOTALLY out of pocket. One person down the street just paid over $200,000.00 for her home, it is ruined, and her new 2006 Corvette was flooded up to its roof. Most of the people here are senior citizens and they do not have the money to fix the damage. My heart goes out to them. We are all pulling together to do what we can but the rain is still coming down and new damage is occurring in what seems like seconds.

My sister is still without heat but we were able to get the hot water heater working again and I happed to have a portable oil filled heater, which I gave her to help throw a bit of heat into the house. What everyone is asking is what is going to happen with the rest of the winter? We are only 1/3 the way through it and have already suffered so much.

Clint
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 06:10 PM

to do with the freaky weather...

at this time of the year Victoria, BC is usually -6 to +3

Victoria has lately been +16 to +18

just to compare. my friend has lived his whole life in the bahamas where it is winter right now...and he says that THAT is the TYPICAL bahama temperature...

since when does Canada share the same climate in the winter as the Bahamas
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2006, 07:24 PM

Oh Clint, I am SO very sorry to read about you & others "troubles" out there in California.

Maybe your governator will declare it a disaster area and then be able to get federal help for rebuilding?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsworld
Tuesday, January 03, 2006

. What everyone is asking is what is going to happen with the rest of the winter? We are only 1/3 the way through it and have already suffered so much.

Clint
Hello Sonoma County,

I lived there for 30 years. I saw floods, tornados, fires .. and that was just in one year

Seriously, how long have you lived in Petaluma? Sonoma Co. has always had it's share of bad weather and flooding. My husband worked for the Sonoma Co. Water Agency for 20 years. While he was working there they made some major improvements to control the flooding in the Petaluma area. Nice to see all that work and money wasn't wasted

Some parts of Petaluma are below sea level ya know ?

Well, I just had to come here and give you a little kick while you are down.

BTW .... I moved from Sonoma Co. to the mountains east of Eureka west of Redding. Out in the middle of the wilderness and have been getting a lot of rain. We are sending our excess water down your way.

Enjoy

ps .... I will admit, the weather can get really crazy down there. It is funny, because I live in a really remote area in the mountains and our juice stays on in situations it would have definately been off in Sonoma Co. You would think it would be harder living where I live now, but it was harder in Sonoma Co. Once our electricity was off for two weeks in Occidental. That was 1986. We bought a generator when we moved here thinking we would need it, but really we needed it more when we lived down there in civlization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page