Cold Sores - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Cold Sores

My bf tells me I have cold sores. I've never really had them before this so I guess that's what they are. On the right side of my tongue, it appears to look like a mini whitehead but hurts like heck. I can't talk right now either cause of it.

On my upper lip, it looks like a massive big sore and I'm scared it'll stay like this. I got Carmex that I've been putting on the lips but how long does this last? Does it scar? Will it also just naturally go away or should I get ointment? I by no means want to go out looking like this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I don't know about the sore on the outside of the lip.

I get canker sores quite often (especially when I used to have an impacted tooth). I put bee propolis on it and it works quite well.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:38 PM

i hate 'em your dr. might could give u valtrex. i also use camfophonic[sp?] and i got some steriod cream from my ob/gyn. or use abreeva ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 03:44 PM
Banned

For the external cold sore, I second Kristy's recommendation of Campho-Phenique cold sore treatment ointment. It comes in 2 varieties. There is a Drying Action version for the pre-scab phase and a Scab Relief formula once a scab has already formed. I had a cold sore several years ago. They do not scar. Obviously, you do not want to pick at it.

EDITED:

Kim, DO NOT use any external ointment internally. What you have on your tongue sound like canker sores! You want some internal oral anesthetic such as Cank-Aid to numb the pain. Anbesol may work well for you as well.

But as far as those canker sores, they will just have to go away on their own.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Is Campho-Phenique over the counter?

So canker sores are inside your mouth while cold sores are outside? Am I getting it right? Just want to get it straight so I know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the suggestions too
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
Is Campho-Phenique over the counter?
Yup. You should find it where the first aid ointments such as Neosporin are sold.

Quote:
So canker sores are inside your mouth while cold sores are outside? Am I getting it right? Just want to get it straight so I know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for the suggestions too
That is correct. Canker sores are inside the mouth.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Tom Cat

And when you have a cold sore do not kiss anyone and prevent touching it because it is very contagious. But the canker sore is not contagious, I believe. There are a lot of OTC meds for cold sore and I don't even bother putting medication on the canker sore because they go away after a few days. I use Herpacin-L when I get a cold sore. Also go to your dr to verify that it is a cold sore because last time I thought I had a cold sore it just turned out to be nothing but dry lips.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:26 PM

I just posted a reply to your other thread, but I'll repeat it here. For me, Abreva works best for cold sores. I've used almost everything else over the counter, and nothing is as effective. Zylactin is great too, but that one's prescription.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-04-2006, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

I sometimes get canker sore's when I eat too much sweets. And yes, they are inside the mouth.

How do you get a cold sore and is that the same as a fever blister?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 AM

What's a canker sore? It sounds like what you have on your tonge is a ulcer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page