Anyone remember the anthrax scare from 2001? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Anyone remember the anthrax scare from 2001?

Found this article after surfing some of my favorite blogs.

Anthrax? Hello? Anybody Home? Hello?

Here we are, it's 2006. Anybody remember the Anthrax scare?

Ahhh c'mon, you remember don't you? It was that freaky time in your life when you weren't sure whether the world was about to suddenly come to an end. Remember the days soon after 9/11, when anthrax started appearing everywhere? Do you remember how gas masks were selling on Ebay for hundreds of dollars? Do you remember how you feared for your family's life as your television sold you a bill of goods about these Anthrax letters, reportedly sent by Arabs?

Do you remember how Anthrax was on television, in magazines, in newspapers; seemingly downloaded into your brain at almost every moment of your waking day-- for months? According to a LexisNexis search conducted by TomDispatch.com, "between Oct. 4 and Dec. 4, 2001, 389 stories appeared in the New York Times with "anthrax" in the headline." During the same period, 238 "anthrax" stories appeared in the Washington Post. Think about that for a second. Now consider the noise made by all the other media outlets. Now add all that noise together. That's a lot of noise.

These days though, the silence is deafening.

Read on: http://bulldogpolitics.blogspot.com/200 ... hello.html

Funny, I was just thinking about this too, hmmmm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned

Yeah, I remember the anthrax scare. I remember it was mostly noise and very little anthrax. And what anthrax there was, had nothing to do with terrorists.

Now, I'm worried about the bird flu.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
How about Y2K? My family was very well stocked

I remembered after 9/11 I thought Americans would think the communists did it. I hid in my room and did not watch TV. I was afraid for quite a while
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:27 AM

I remember it well. I also remember that it was a lot of noise. I remember being able to turn on the news at 6am and again at 6pm and again at 10 pm to hear about the "4 new cases" only to find out they were still talking about the "4 new cases" from the day before.......
I wasn't too worried.
I wasn't worried about Y2K
I wasn't worried about SARS
I wasn't worried about West Nile
I'm not worried about Bird Flu either.
I'm more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on my way home from work than any of that stuff.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:48 AM
Banned

I'm worried about drunk drivers, too.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:49 AM
Banned

Come to think of it, maybe I'm mostly worried about being worried.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer2
I remember it well. I also remember that it was a lot of noise. I remember being able to turn on the news at 6am and again at 6pm and again at 10 pm to hear about the "4 new cases" only to find out they were still talking about the "4 new cases" from the day before.......
I wasn't too worried.
I wasn't worried about Y2K
I wasn't worried about SARS
I wasn't worried about West Nile
I'm not worried about Bird Flu either.
I'm more likely to be killed by a drunk driver on my way home from work than any of that stuff.
Agreed.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 10:23 AM
Cat Addict

Well said, Jennifer.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Cool Cat

Yes I remember the Anthrax scare. My boss brought everyone into the conference room to discuss any fears that anyone may have in opening their mail Oh Please. I think they closed a Post Office in Trenton, NJ to scour the place for Anthrax, probably some disgruntled employee.

Shari
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:37 PM

agreed with jennifer. Good article judy! Thanks. It's all about instilling fear. The government just wants to keep people in constant fear. That is why on the news you always see "breaking news" or "news alert" scrolling/flashing along the bottom of the screen ....before when you used to see this it was actually something important. Now they put that up for just about anything.

I wouldn't put anything past this administration.

Actually here in burlington the hash house harriers (that drinking/running society) got in trouble for using flour to make their trails around town. People had called into local authorities saying there was anthrax on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page