Is this normal? (dog question) - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Is this normal? (dog question)

Okay Suki came into season In July. We got her payed in October- as advised by our vet. If she hadnt of been spayed she would be due into season any time now. Lately she is constantly trying to mate with my or my boyfriends leg. (lol)

If she were male I could understand it more, ive never heard of it in a female? Is it just left over hormones? This would be her first season as it were since being spayed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 PM

Gosh, I don't know.
My female Bear with often "mate" with my male dog, which is a dominant thing, not sure if that's what you are seeing. Neither of my dogs have ever tried that with people.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 06:25 PM

I would guess that it's left over hormones. Of course I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Cool Cat

Send a message via MSN to vanillasugar
Behaviour like this is typically a dominance issue... Unfortunatley i have no experience dealing with this sort of thing, so I can't really help you but good luck!

<--Julia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 03:49 AM

Is she displaying any other signs of season? If so, get her back to the vet - I have seen bitches (and queens) display signs of season after being speyed if there is the tiniest fragment of ovarian tissue left inside her. Not wanting to scare you or anything.

If its just the humping, I would sit it out and wait & see. Asha will still hump legs (and cats!) occasionally even though she was speyed 3 years ago. I can recognise her behaviour before she starts to hump, and distract her.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:39 PM

"Humping" is a dominance gesture as was mentioned. Your girl is trying to assert alpha over you. Sounds like you need to let her know who's boss Is she allowed on the furniture? If so, don't let her for a while or only let her after YOU get settled and she is invited up. Also, make her "sit" for food or any treats. If she doesn't know the "sit" command yet, make her "wait" for it. Put the food down, then say "wait"; she's not allowed to eat until you release her from the command. Dominance over your dog is extremely important. Right now it sounds like she is not sure who is the leader of the pack. She will be relieved to know it's you; most dogs relish releasing the alpha status to their owner
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Emma- no she isnt showing any other signs, but I will keep an eye on her.

Shes always been one to push her limits. Shes always trying to assert herself- pushing you out the way etc Tell her to sit and she wont do it first time. I remember the vet said to me she was a little madam hehe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 PM

Out of our five hounds, we have two that are constantly testing the limits, too so I feel for you! One of them now will crate himself up if I say his name a certain way b/c he knows he has gone too far. Our little girl, Tinks, is by far the bossiest of the crew and sees what she can get away with on a nightly basis I'm sure once you start being bossier than your dog then the humping will diminish
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

oh Suki knows when she has gone too far.
She has 2 beds. One is punishment bed and one is sleep bed- they are in different rooms. She has started to put herself to bed without us having to tell her when she has gone too far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page