pics of NOLA post-Katrina - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Cat

pics of NOLA post-Katrina

I've finally returned home to New Orleans for the first time after Katrina. It's very weird here. The city seems so empty. There is a lot of work that still needs to be done, even in my area that sustained minimal damage.

Anyway, my bf is an amateur photographer and has taken some wonderful pics that I thought some may be interested in seeing. He traveled to the worst hit lower 9th ward area and st. bernard parish recently.
http://badmojo8.deviantart.com/gallery/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:49 AM

wow, very emotive pictures.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 AM

oh my God those were awesome pictures, but such a horrific mess. I feel so bad all those people had to live thru this. You don;t really get to see the "true" pics like this on tv and in the media. Unreal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat

It is unreal. Nothing could have prepared me for what I've seen here.

I told him I want to go to the lower 9th ward with him next time. I want to see it first hand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 08:19 PM

I took my friend back in October (she was dying to get back) and I have never seen such devestation before. I have to agree, the city was very empty. I went to New Orleans about 10 days before my wedding in 2004 and the city was so vibrant and alive. Now it just reminds me of decay and horror. I don't know how my friend survived livig by herself. The pictures I took are shocking. They make me really sad to the point that its hard to look at them.

We weren't allowed to visit the 9th ward or st. bernard parish when I was down there because they were still trying to get into those places. We wandered a lot around the city and looked at the water marks in Metarie and drove by the levees. I don't think we saw any that were the ones that broke but they were kina scary themselves.

I'm just glad to hear that people ARE going back. My friend though is terrified that she might lose her job. I really hope it doesn't happen because she loves it there.

Tell them down there to keep their chins up and good luck!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:53 PM

I was there with the Army. I didn't do the person search, but I made my way around NO when the water was still high.

It's going to take a LOT of recovery to fix that up. It was unreal.

When we rolled in, there were no other cars - just ambulances, police, firetrucks and military vehicles. There were no planes just military helicopters. It was like an end of the world horror movie.

I saw a lot of things that were really crazy. A sign spray painted on a door that pretty much said " Gone to find gas. Will be back in two days." Did they ever come back? I don't know. That will stay with me forever. A lot of that will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page