Educational help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Educational help

I need help here. I've a little girl in my class who is a special learner. She has severe cerebal palsy which results in her having very little speech and poor motor control. She has great difficult opening out her hands, they are usually curled up into fists.

My problem is I have no idea what activities to do with her. I only teach her for an hour a day during language time. Any ideas what sort of activities to do? I am at a total loss.

Claire x
There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned by cats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
What grade is she in?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

She is eight years old but needs work based at a much younger level.

Claire x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I work with a lot of kids like this. Have you tried painting with her? A lot of the kids like painting by using their hands as they like the feel of the paint between their fingers. The feel of the paint may encourage her hands to open up a little, but even if it doesn't she can maybe move her arms to and fro to paint.

Another idea is drama stories (basically stories with sound and things to feel etc) One school I worked at over the summer had a bag for each story so pied piper of hamlin had lots of toy mice in for example.

I am assuming you work at a school designed for children with special needs? Do you have any advisers to help you plan activities? Some schools do and some don't I find.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Cat

Quote:
I am assuming you work at a school designed for children with special needs?
That's the problem. I don't. it is main stream school. I have another 32 kids to deal with as well as this girl. I have no special needs training and I am sinking fast. She does have an auxiliary with her at all times to help with the activities but I can't think of anything. I've used paint with her, flour and water, play dough etc but I'm running out of ideas. I'm supposed to be working with three other groups at this time as well as this girl. I feel as though I am failing her terribly.

Claire x
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
I am surprised this girl is in a main stream school if her needs are as high as they sound!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Cool Cat

Musical instruments, I was thinking drums, like holding a drumstic.

But a flute, piano, strings, ect.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Premier Cat

Is she there as part of the language lesson, or does this just happen to be the time of day she is there?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Cool Cat

This might help.....
http://specialchildren.about.com/od/cer ... school.htm
At the bottom are some links that are for teachers. Not sure what state you are in but when I searched it looks like there are workshops for teachers in several states.

I can't believe the school or even the parent did not provide you with more training - altho moreso I can't believe she is even in a regular school - she is not getting the attention she needs and the other kids will not get as much attention if you are having to meet her needs.

Could you have a parent conference and ask them? Have you talked to her assistant? I am sure even of they don't know they could direct you to a support group or website or something.

Good for you for trying to help! Good luck!

**EDIT to add: I found this link that has more info for teachers....
http://www.cerebral-palsy-information.c ... ildren.htm
Oops - Apparently I was wrong about a CP student not being in a mainstram school - evidently they recommend that they DO attend mainstream schools!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 08:03 PM

I used to nanny for a little girl w/CP and she was in a mainstream school, her para with her at times. Hayley often prefered being treated normally, and even if she couldn't participate she participated vicariously through the other kids. We did alot of reading out of books, making up stories, and playing with dolls (she couldn't grip a pencil it had to be larger). Shaving cream is another fun thing (styrofoam cups clean it up fast), play doh. As for her wrists and ankles, she wore special braces that were alternated day and night. So sometimes she had more mobility. It's hard, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page