Chicken help, por favor - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Chicken help, por favor

I roasted my first whole chicken in the oven this weekend. I used a recipe I found online. It was yummy and cooked in only 4 1/2 hours, but it wasn't juicy like the rotisserie ones you can buy at the grocery store (the white meat was especially dry). I just realized how affordable whole chickens are; I can't believe I've wasted so much money buying chx breasts only. I love the dark meat, anyway.

I'm planning to cook a whole chicken every Sunday so that we have it for salads, sandwiches, etc. throughout the week.

Any tips on keeping it juicy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 03:25 PM

I'm going to ask a potentially dumb question...

Did you baste the chicken?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:09 PM
Cool Cat

I usually get one of those oven stuffer roasters, put celery, onion and maybe a few baby carrots into the cavity (don't overdo it) and let it rip. Is it possible maybe you just cooked it a little too long?
I love a nice Sunday chicken dinner, so homey.

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Cat Addict

White meat cooks so much faster than dark meat. When it's cooked breast side up, your white meat will be torched by the time the dark meat is safe to eat. I cook it one side up (the leg and wing at the top), then flip it so the other side is up, then turn it so the breast is up. Yields pretty good results. I also rub a compound butter with thyme and lemon under the skin.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I once read a tip on the newspaper about soaking cooked chicken in chicken juice (broth) when you put it up in a tupperware container.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

I cooked it in a roaster with no lid, breast-side up as the recipe directed. It didn't say to, but I did baste it every so often.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 06:40 PM

The only way I go is with one of those celophane like cooking bags. Put in the bird, cut a few strips to vent the bag, tie off the bag, put in a small roasting pan (no lid) and cook according to the directions on the bag box. No need to baste either. It comes out comparable to a rotiserie bird IMO, moist & beautifully browned.

Only 4 1/2 hrs. to cook!!! At what temperature did you set your oven? How much did that bird weigh? We are talking chicken here and not turkey, right?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Here's the recipe: http://chicken.allrecipes.com/az/Rst...tissriStyl.asp

Upon looking it up again, I found my first mistake. The recipe suggests 250 degrees... not 350! LOL I guess I'm lucky the chicken was edible! I'm so used to recipes calling for 350 degrees.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:23 PM

I've cooked chicken in a rotisori, in the oven, in bags in the oven, in a table top roaster, and any which way. I would, if I were you, BUY a rotisori(sp?). They are really cheap lately, you can find one online for even cheaper than in stores. Otherwise, I've gotten into a brine recipe lately done in the oven. You soak the bird in a solution of salt, sugar, water, and herbs over night, then dry the bird off and place uwrapped in the fridge on a plate to dry the skin a little all day. You can then cook it in the oven and get a really juicy and flavorful chicken with nice golden skin. Rub the skin with herbs, garlic, and mounds of butter before you cook it... yummy! I made my Thanksgiving turkeye this way this past Thanksgiving and we ended up having to share with the neighbors lol. SO SO good!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

BamMcg -
Would you mind sharing the measurements on that recipe? It sounds SO yummy!

I would like to purchase a rotisserie, but we are really scrimping money to save for a trip right now and I think if I came home with one more kitchen gadget, DH might through something at me. Our kitchen seems to be overflowing since the wedding, yet I want more and more kitchen items!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page