Lack of concentration :( *UPDATE* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Lack of concentration :( *UPDATE*

Before anyone says anything, yes I know my situation is more than likely all my own fault!

I have two essays to sumbit at the end of the week, Have done all the reading etc and it's just a matter of typing it all up, putting it into order and what have you.

Trouble is, I can't concentrate. At home, I am distracted by any mess, the Tv, Dylan... anything really and at uni, I have to pay extortionate amounts for any food I want, it's cold, incomfortable and I have a very un helpful collegue who decides it is necessary to talk to me about totally unrelated tripe every 15 minutes which throws my thoughts!

I need a helping hand here guys or there goes my hopes of qualifying in 8 months!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 03:45 PM

Ok I can totally relate, I found myself in the very same situation on Tuesday evening with an essay due in on Wednesday. I got myself so wound up with the fact that I thought I couldn't do it. All I focused on was NOT being able to do it. I woke up on Wednesday with 2,000 words to write and did it, because I realised I had two options. 1) Not do it and fail or 2) relax and get it done, regardless of the quality, because it was better than not getting it done at all.

Do you have a private study area, or a place you can turn into a private study area for now? If so make yourself a cup of coffee, go into your study and close the door! Read all your notes once over and try and form some kind of idea of where your essay is going to go. Make seperate notes about the structure of the essay. RELAX! And just start writing! Once you've started it will come alot easier.

More often than not I find things to keep me distracted. You need to be totally on your own and not worry about the mess etc. it can wait. This is obviously really important to you, and the only option you have is to do it, so forget about everything else for the time being.

I really hope you get it done. I honestly know that feeling of fear. If you need any words of encouragment or anything pm me, I found it helps to have someone to calm you down and tell you 'you can do it!!'

Good luck and positive though waves coming your way!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamlet
]
Do you have a private study area, or a place you can turn into a private study area for now?
Thats part of the problem Our flat is very small, clutters easily and isn't exactly essay friendly to say the least! Msot of the time I work with my laptop on the sofa because the spare room is mainly my b/f's domain for his computer and computer games. Gah how I hate men and their technology fandom...

I think I shall go get some aromatherapy oils tomorrow to help - lemongrass got me through my GCSE's!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I can understand the roommate part. I decided a year ago that I was going to live by myself, no matter what the cost. I live in the cheapest apartment in College Station with no internet, cable, phone service, or gas. I have to cook and take showers in my fiance's apartment. However, the gain in concentration made it worthwhile (not to mention I can finally sleep through the night)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 06:37 PM
Cat Addict

Can't you pack some food and go camp out at the library? That's what I do when I have to get away from my roommate during the week.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:27 PM
Cool Cat

Yeah, get to somewhere quiet where you can concentrate. I can't hardly think to intensly with just the cats vying for attention, and you've got much more to deal with.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Our flat is very small, clutters easily and isn't exactly essay friendly to say the least! Msot of the time I work with my laptop on the sofa because the spare room is mainly my b/f's domain for his computer and computer games
Well I say it's time to move him out!! That should and needs to be your space for a while.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:52 PM
Premier Cat

Hayley, what about a computer lab at school? That's where I go when I need to get down to business. Or the library, like Aphrodeia suggested.

Sometimes, you've just got to force yourself to stay someplace until it's all done!

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I usually do this "stream of consciousness" thing. I just sit down and type and type. I don't have to type anything particular about the essay. Then I sit down and cut and paste the essay together.

I would NEVER survive in academics without Microsoft Word
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Just a quick update.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, You'll be pleased to know....... 3 down and 1 to go!!! It's due on Tuesday and is halfway done so I am feeling a lot better about things, a lot less stressed and looking forward to the next lot (lol)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page