Do-it-yourself Divorce experiences anyone? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Do-it-yourself Divorce experiences anyone?

I was just wondering if anyone here did all the paper work for their divorce. Especially anyone Canadian.

I know divorce laws are different everywhere but I am curious if anyone has any experience with them in general?

we do not co-own any property, vehicles, basically have no assets, and also do not co-own any debts (each have separate student loans ) , we have no kids, so there is no real need for lawyers. We have already agreed to who gets what, and who is staying in our current rental aprtment. I get the cats and to find a new home!

it is WAY cheaper to get the forms and the guide and do it yourself (looks like $400 canadian for all the court fees). I have found some great BC law sites that tell me step by step what to do in order to preocess all the forms with the court and get my divorce...but it is still a little bit overwhelming. It is just intimidating! I also found a BC place (legit) that you send all your info to, they fill out your paperwork via contact with you, they send it to you, and tell you when to submit what to the courts. The fee is only $225 for that service. And if anything goes wrong to do with the paperwork they fix it and cover the costs. So I guess that is another option. They assist you 24/7 with whatever help you need.

here in BC we have to have been legally separated for one year before a judge will grant a divorce otherwise we would have already dealt with this.

I go through days where I feel fine and everything is ok, I am not just pretending, and then I have periods of being a mess! Crying all the time, not sleeping, stressed, not eating. I keep getting sick. No wonder!! I do not miss my husband in particular, I definitely do not want him back! I guess I am still adjusting to a single life again. It is very odd and is taking a lot to get used to.

Never in a million years did I think that my life could seem to go so wrong.
But I guess I can be grateful that we are on good terms. Well maybe he should be grateful I am still civil after he fell in love with someone else
How nice I am!

But spring 2006 will be better! We will get the divorced finalized, me and the kitties will have our own new life. I may actually move to a new city to be with one of my best friends, I will get a full time job (currently very very part time) and life will improve!! And me and the kitties will go back to my maiden name as well, so new last names for us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 10:58 AM

When I got divorced from my first husband I went the uncontested divorce route, nothing to fight over, I contacted a lawyer out in Pittsburgh (Im near Philly) and it cost me about 120.00 it would have cost 95.00 but ever time you call the lawyer you get charged 15.00 and my ex's mother kept calling the **** lawyer, I have no idea why? We had nothing to fight over ....I just wanted him outta my life, even gave him both Harleys that I paid for...

I found this service in my local newspaper...I am not sure if this is available in Canada? When it was all said and done the lawyer sent me the paperwork stating the divorce was final...And I could live again!

I would say check in the uncontested divorce area, again I am not sure what you would do in Canada?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

wow that is cheap!!!

Here in BC the court fees alone are about $350. They charge that just to file all your paperwork, and then you have to buy all the forms too! And that is with both people applying for divorce, it costs more if it is a sole applicant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 02:05 AM

Well that sucks (about it costing more) I was the one who filed for divorce from my 1st husband...I hope that you can find something that is not expensive, especially when you are not fighting for anything...Like divorce isnt hard enough, then having to pay out the nose to get it done and over with

I had gone to a lawyer, because I was actually was going to fight him for the motorcycles (one was mine) and his truck that I was paying for..But when we went over the lawyer fees and everything else, I figured it just was not worth it..I let him take the bikes....And figured "let his mommy, pay for the truck" since he was and probly still is a worthless bum...

Good luck hun! I hope you find something...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page