standardized testing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

standardized testing

My friend is an 8th grade english teacher and this is her 3rd year of teaching. They just had the ELA test which is a standardized test. Well she gave the test to 15 students and misread the directions on one part of the test. The students were supposed to only have 45min to complete the section but she unknowingly gave them 60min. So the students will still get to keep their scores but the tests won't count towards statewide statistics. Her supervisor was a little upset but very understanding. a few of the other teachers are very upset at her and called her saying "how stupid she was" "how could you do this" "someone needs to reap the consequences" etc. they want to get her fired but luckily she has tenure. My friend is pretty upset as to how hard the other teachers are being on her. She is surely sorry for her mistake and feels bad about it. I think these teachers are taking this way tooo far. I don't feel standardized testing is very effective anyways. My SAT scores basically said I was a dummy who would never make it through college. Well I graduated cum laude and was a member of 4 honor societies. What do you all think about this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Premier Cat

As a teacher in training, I have pretty strong opinions on current standardized testing practices.

Kris, as your friend is experiencing, one of the nastier consequences of testing is the competition it creates between teachers. There are high stakes involved due to NCLB (No Child Left Behind). A school can have its reputation damaged and jeopardize its funding when test scores don't meet the goals set forth by the federal gov't.

When students don't do well, schools and teachers start looking for someone to blame. The third grade teachers blame the second grade teachers for not preparing the students adequately, there are too many special ed kids and non-English speakers, etc.

While I'm not against testing completely, the current system is responsible for alot of bad blood in schools. I'm sorry to hear that your friend got caught up in it.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Tom Cat

I think that standardized testing is a necessity. The reason that teachers get up in arms over bad scores and statistical errors is because the scores of the school reflect on them as teachers. There is really no other way to make sure that the state funded schools are up to par.

On the other hand, your friend should not have to deal with angry teachers because she made a mistake. There is no reason for them to take it out on her.

I always performed well on standardized testing, and my high ACT scores gave me numerous advantages in college from a research position as an undergraduate freshman to my tuition covered by scholarships. In that regard I will have to respectively disagree that standardized tests aren't important. With that said, I understand that some people just don't do well on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Just reading my post and realizing that I don't sound like someone who graduated with honors. Unfortunately speedy internet chat has led to sloppy grammar mistakes on my behalf. I need to slow down and work on that. But that is a whole other discussion.

Anyways. Sorry for that side tangent.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker
The reason that teachers get up in arms over bad scores and statistical errors is because the scores of the school reflect on them as teachers.
Actually, teachers don't like them for the exact opposite reason. They don't necessarily reflect a teacher's ability.

There are so many factors which affect student scores, and whether a student tests well is only one of them. A child's socioeconomic level, home environment, parental involvement, preschool experience, and first language (L1) skills are among the many factors which affect student achievement. Some children are simply behind from the beginning, and even with great teaching it is very difficult for them to catch up.

Standardized testing isn't the problem -- it's test scores being considered the only measure of success.

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:13 PM
Banned

Re: standardized testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu22
I don't feel standardized testing is very effective anyways. My SAT scores basically said I was a dummy who would never make it through college.
I agree on that -- my SAT and ACT scores were horrible, and I'm not stupid, I'm a very good student and always got As and Bs. I just suck at those tests.

I personally think it's crazy that they're going nuts on her...but I'm not a teacher, so that may mean more to them than it does to me. Good luck to your friend, though.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Well, I did it once. I gave students two hours for one exam instead of 90 minutes for the exam. It happens.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:46 AM
Cat Addict

I am a writer by trade, and I suck at standardized tests. Give me an essay test, and I'll write you a book on the subject. I don't think my mind works in the multiple choice format.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippyhart
I am a writer by trade, and I suck at standardized tests. Give me an essay test, and I'll write you a book on the subject. I don't think my mind works in the multiple choice format.
Me, too!!!

Although I did so much better on my set of GRE tests than my set of SAT tests. By the time I went to grad school I just didn't care anymore.

Anytime I don't care about something, I do much better.

There was one time my Engineering Calculus professor used a multiple-choice exam. I got a 40 on the exam. Midway through the semester he got replaced by another professor who used a regular exam, and I got a 97 on the next exam. I ended up getting a C in the class
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page