Anyone read James Frey's books(s)? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Anyone read James Frey's books(s)?

I know lately he has been in the news and he was accused of "embellishing" a portion of A Million Little Pieces". I thought the book was so raw and cutting edge, fiction or not. Did anyone else read this and what do you think of James, the books or books and his style of writing?

Cats: Kiki, Sonny Lucky, Oreo, Simon
Dog: Diego
Horse: Charlie
Kids:3 (ages 14, 11, 9)
Husband :1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:45 PM
Tom Cat

I read A Million Little Pieces, haven't read any other one by Frey yet. However, i found that i couldn't stop reading it, even though i wasn't too thrilled with the style of writing, it was very different. I would have to go back and figure out who was saying what sometimes whenever the conversations would progress.

Whether fiction or non-fiction, or a little of both, it is still a great piece of work, in my opinion.

The part that was REALLY amazing to me was the visit to the dentist. I find it hard to believe that you can legally operate on a person like that without any pain reliever/anesthesia.... it really made my own teeth hurt while reading it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Cat Addict

I read the book because my cousin died at the age of 22 from a drug overdose and before my sister in law died, she had a drug problem. It was VERY raw and it kinda made me understand what they went through with their own addictions.

It's much easier to look at someone that has a problem with drugs and snear than it is to look upon them with an open heart and forgiveness.

As for the controversy...I think he did embellish, if not lie, and it's sad that it was marketed as completely truthful. However, it IS a great read, lies or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Jr. Cat

I read it and found it to be a fast read, yet horribly unrealistic. There is no reason he could not have gotten local anesthesia and all those other lies. I heard he was on oprah and she confronted him about it but I didn't see that episode. did anyone else see it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:12 PM
Cat Addict

I caught Anderson Cooper's recap of the whole deal the other night. Oprah really tore into him, and he deserved it. Everything was made up.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 11:46 PM
Premier Cat

O.k. dont jump on me here....but what is the difference if it is true or false. if the message is powerful
its a book.
if you like it you do
if you dont you dont
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:08 AM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscosMum
O.k. dont jump on me here....but what is the difference if it is true or false.
The point is that it was marketed as a memoir. Nobody would care if it had been marketed as fiction... but nobody would have bought it, either. The fiction market is highly competitive. Selling a memoir is much easier, because you have an instant human-interest story. And this man manipulated this fact, fabricating a story and lying to every person who bought his book. It's absolutely shameful.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I am on the fence about it. People lie and fabricate truths every day. Look at the Bush administration! And I actually like the Bush's because I think Laura is so classy. However, I do think the the publishers of the Frey books should have looked into the details more carefully to make sure it was accurate. I mean, most of us thought they did, which is why we all bought the book thinking it was the truth. (although while reading it I was thinking "yeah right!") I find James to be a fasinating writer, but I think he needs to learn from this and never try to write from a non fiction perspective ever again. He already has a name for himself, famous or infamous, that is for sure.

Cats: Kiki, Sonny Lucky, Oreo, Simon
Dog: Diego
Horse: Charlie
Kids:3 (ages 14, 11, 9)
Husband :1
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddy
I read it and found it to be a fast read, yet horribly unrealistic. There is no reason he could not have gotten local anesthesia and all those other lies. I heard he was on oprah and she confronted him about it but I didn't see that episode. did anyone else see it?
Here's an article about it:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060127/en_celeb_eo/18238
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:54 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy106
People lie and fabricate truths every day.
But does that mean we should accept it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page