The "Liberal Media" myth - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

The "Liberal Media" myth

I came upon this essay from salon.com. Sadly, it says many things that I have been strongly suspecting for a long time.

http://daoureport.salon.com/synopsis.as ... 768df79a3#

Well now, THIS is mighty interesting. Seems as tho several progressive blogs are jumping all over Chris Mathews at MSNBC for his more & more frequently uttered biased comments. YAY for them!!
http://www.openlettertochrismatthews.blogspot.com/

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Cool Cat

Sometimes you just have to cut through all of the ifs, what if, do you think, I think, and change the channel. I got to the point where I'd just notice these opinion phrases and not care whatever they had to say.

Forgive me for not completely getting the context of your post, that stuff was everywhere, and I did not quite get the point.

The politicals class are doing whatever they can to start a ruckuss, and at some point all we can do is go vote for what we think is best.

I have a friend that is opposite me politically, yet when we discuss things in detail we find there is alot of common ground for the most part.

He's actually way into it, and is reading a book that goes into the phsycology of politics.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:08 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I personally think that the job of the media is to find out the inadequacies of the government so whoever is in power don't become overly corrupt. The media is somewhat liberal right now because the leading party is Republican. The media will be somewhat conservative when we have a Democrat administration again (remember the Clinton era?)

Stories of corruption and debauchery in the leading party SELLS. Remember the Clinton era? The media certainly wasn't liberal back then. The media is liberal right now. For me, the media just likes to be contrary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
Cat Addict

I don't think it's possible for any PERSON to be neutral when talking about politics, if they know what they're talking about. If you're into politics, you'll have an opinion either way.

Same goes for the media. A reporter cannot possible remove any bias from his or her work when it comes to politics, because he or she will have an opinion that will inadvertantly shine through.

Case in point...I've read other journalists written essays that are the exact opposite of the one you've linked to. How? Because there is a bias. When you TRULY believe something, you can find evidence to support that. That's what debating is all about. Two opposing sides with evidence to back up their point.

That being said, the only time we can pull bias out of the media is if we replace all journalists and writers with robots.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky
I don't think it's possible for any PERSON to be neutral when talking about politics, if they know what they're talking about. If you're into politics, you'll have an opinion either way.

Same goes for the media. A reporter cannot possible remove any bias from his or her work when it comes to politics, because he or she will have an opinion that will inadvertantly shine through.

Case in point...I've read other journalists written essays that are the exact opposite of the one you've linked to. How? Because there is a bias. When you TRULY believe something, you can find evidence to support that. That's what debating is all about. Two opposing sides with evidence to back up their point.

That being said, the only time we can pull bias out of the media is if we replace all journalists and writers with robots.
I agree 1000%

Whether you think the media is biased one way or the other, it's still pretty darn good compared to some other countries.
I work with a couple originally from China. We were talking about the news one day and they mentioned that they knew NOTHING about Tiennamen Square until they moved outside of China. They had heard that there was a conflict with students but that is all they heard about it, none of what really happened there that day. THat is what happens with Government controlled media!

Jennifer and the monsters
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:49 AM
Cool Cat

If it is a 'myth', why did Fox News ever pass CNN?
Quote:
several progressive blogs are jumping all over Chris Mathews at MSNBC for his more & more frequently uttered biased comments.
Why can't Chris Mathews say whatever he wants?
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
... Why did it ever "pass" CNN? I'm afraid I have't a clue what you're talking about. I, personally, watch CNN. I prefer it infinitely to Fox. If you're talking about "ratings", I highly doubt it had anything directly to do with any perceived bias.

Don't try to play that card. We all have our own preferences.
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Cool Cat

Yes, ratings is what I was talking,

but I too, flip between all of them, just to get the news and not some interpetation,

ever notice how they all seem to have their little 'quip' to end the segments? Alot of bias in the 'quips'.

And when the 'ifs', 'I think' ideas come out, I know it time to change the channel.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Daddy
Quote:
several progressive blogs are jumping all over Chris Mathews at MSNBC for his more & more frequently uttered biased comments.
Why can't Chris Mathews say whatever he wants?
Well, he DOES say whatever he wants, but

Per the link:

1. What is your complaint with Chris Matthews and MSNBC?

Chris Matthews is a major opinion leader who has repeatedly compared Americans concerned about the war in Iraq to Osama bin Laden, a charge that borders on accusing over half the American public with treason. Matthews is perceived, wrongly, as a responsible and objective mainstream journalist with a reputation for calling it as he sees it. That gives his partisan smears a veneer of credibility that makes them particularly offensive and dangerous in a nation at war. It is wrong for Chris Matthews and MSNBC to politicize the deaths of 3,000 Americans on September 11.

3. Why are Matthews' comments a problem?

It is incredibly biased, irresponsible, and offensive for a supposedly-objective journalist to repeat as truth partisan Republican talking points accusing patriotic Americans of sharing traits with the greatest mass murderer in American history. Chris Matthews' right-wing bias has been an ongoing, growing problem and it needs to stop.

4. So you've launched a boycott of "Hardball's" advertisers?

We are asking companies to refrain from associating their products with Chris Matthews' hateful, extremist rhetoric.

5. Who exactly is behind this campaign?

A coalition of more than 20 of the top progressive and moderate political blogs, with a collective daily readership of over 1 million visitors, including DailyKos, Eschaton, AMERICAblog, MyDD, Annatopia, and more (for a full listing, see our home page).

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Cool Cat

I seen his show several times and don't think he's 'right wing',

he ask them some tough questions, but does give them a chance to reply, I say that's fair enough for them to come up with a reasonable answer, or tell him they will have to have more time, and will get back to him later with an answer.

Some of this stuff is really poorly written and doesn't make a clear point, i.e.
Quote:
repeatedly compared Americans concerned about the war in Iraq to Osama bin Laden
We're all concerned, so must I pull teeth to find out they are talking about someone who opposes the war? Or is that even the point?

Quote:
a responsible and objective mainstream journalist with a reputation for calling it as he sees it.
And people can't watch his show and call it as they see it? Or change channel if they don't like it?

Quote:
That gives his partisan smears a veneer of credibility that makes them particularly offensive and dangerous in a nation at war.
Alot of the press had made this mistake while our troops are in harms way, Bill O'Reilly got all over the New York Times and their Abugrav coverage, did the coalition of more than 20 of the top progressive and moderate political blogs help Bill? Or who's being perceived as being in danger?

The troops sure are, I was in the army and do respect the job each individual troop does to serve this country, and whether the war is right or wrong, I can't stand the thought of them not being supported by everyone until their return.

Quote:
3. Why are Matthews' comments a problem?

It is incredibly biased, irresponsible, and offensive for a supposedly-objective journalist to repeat as truth partisan Republican talking points
If they had a point to refute what he was saying, why don't they come out and say it instead of accusing him of using talking points? Can't they make a point that's reasonable?

And even if he was using talking points, he must think they have some use to be debated on his show.

And even if he was using talking points, don't the guest have a chance to respond with whatever they want? That's what I liked about Alan Keyes, he won every debate he was in.

Quote:
Chris Matthews' right-wing bias has been an ongoing, growing problem and it needs to stop.
censor him, censor him!!!(beware, sarcasm here)

I don't watch much of the Matthews show because I ain't got all them fancy channels, but if he is endangering the troops in harms way, he'd better stop, I want them all to come home safe, just like the rest of the concerned.

I'm guessing we're politically opposite, and I don't mean to push my right-wing bias around, and you may point it out if I don't seem reasonable, I'd actually be glad to never hear from Chris Matthews again, his left-wing bias bothered me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page