I didn't get any of the jobs :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I didn't get any of the jobs :(

Well I applied and interviewed for 3 jobs dispatching since I moved back to Michigan. I got my last 2 letters from the Police Departments when I got home from work last night. One I am #3 on the list and they had 2 positions

I'm really trying to not get upset and down on myself. I'm feeling a little frustrated. I really thought, hoped and felt like I deserved something to work out for me.

So now I am in the process of updating my resume and trying to figure out what I am going to do. I am not really making good money at the resturant I am at. I work alot of hours and barely get by. Plus I have no benefits. I've come to realize it could be quite some time before I get hired as a dispatcher in this state. So now I have to find soemthing else. I really don't want to do anything but dispatch....but I definitly do not want to keep waiting tables until I get hired....who knows when that would even be.

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Cool Cat

Shelly I wonder if you're not getting any of these positions because it's a "who you know" type of job. They may interview because I think you have to by law, but I wonder if they already have someone chosen for the job. Don't get down on yourself girl this may be totally out of your control. I do hope something comes up for you soon.

Shari
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Oh man, I'm sorry. That sucks getting rejected...I would work on updating your resume, definitely, and just send as many out as you can.

I also recommend this book -- Knock 'Em Dead. I read it before I did my last set of interviews and I was totally prepared for them -- it gave me more confidence and helped me be more prepared. I knew what they were getting at when asking certain questions, how to give them the best answers, etc. And I nailed the job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159337 ... s&v=glance

They also have a resume guide, too, maybe that will help?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/159337 ... s&v=glance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I hope you get the job you want. I agree that sometimes a revised resume and some good interview skills can make a big difference. Good luck.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 02:33 AM
Tom Cat

You might try looking at non police dispatching positions. I'm pretty sure I've seen ads for trucking companies that are looking for dispatchers. I'm not sure what other kinds of companies might use dispatchers but it's another avenue to check out, even though it's not exactly the same. Will the police department you were third on the list be keeping your resume on file? Maybe another spot will open up there soon.

Hang in there!

Kel
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Cat

I'm so sorry Just remember that not getting a job is not a reflection of YOU as a person.

You say revolution, I say jah. --O.A.R.

Dell and the two cats, Isabella and Hermione plus 5 amazing dogs
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to Daisy_Babe
Big hugs

Mechele Owned by Daisy Mae, Babe & Presley
Savannah (RIP) June 16th 2005 Patches (RIP) 1991

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
I am not really making good money at the resturant I am at. I work alot of hours and barely get by
Ahh, but you are getting by, and you must know there is plenty of work for the willing,

So be happy with what you have, confident you are a good worker, and enjoy whatever you have to do,

there are no promises out there, but great rewards do come our way in the strangest of circumstances, even in restaraunt work.

Are you getting regular exersize, that will ward off that down feeling and make you feel so much more confident too.

I just quit school for the semester because they put me on 'financial aid suspention' and instead of appealing it,

I figure I am up to me limit in 'comfort level' for student loan debt anyhow, a semester off, and one class at a time after that, so I can slowly crawl my way out,

sure has been a welcome break for me, I missed regular work outs alot, and seeing my parents plus alot of other things,

and yes, I have been working almost full time along with school, I bought my house before I decieded to get a degree, and still must meet the mortgage payment.

So, stop, and smell the roses!!! And count your many blessings along the way.

Alot of handicap people ride the bus, who could never do alot of things the rest of us are priviledged to be doing, have made me think, well this ain't so bad.

Good luck, but I think you've already got it all anyhow, and just will have to wait to have that verified.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I do feel lucky to have any job with the economy in Michigan. I do feel lucky to have my health (even with my medical problems), my cats and to be near my family again. I appreciate what I have and work hard for what I do have. I work every day and do my job well....whether it is the job I REALLY want or not.

However I have went through some VERY hard times in the last 2 months, moved accross the country and had my life turned around every which way......so it is hard to not get too discourged sometimes.

~Shelly~

Zoee, Zack, Lamar & Mateo's mom
and Khan my Pit Bull Terrier
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 09:04 AM
Premier Cat

Don't worry too much about it. It's probably b/c you don't have much experience in that field yet and you've just got to find one that'll take you in under their wings.

When I was looking for jobs earlier, I got some interviews but didn't get any of the jobs. I had no experience in the banking industry really. Finally one bank hired me and it worked out great.

I'm sure you'll get a job you want sometime soon. Just give it time and at least you have a job meanwhile to hold you over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page