President Bush speaks at Kansas State University - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

President Bush speaks at Kansas State University

Recently the president gave a speech at Kansas State University.

During the Q & A portion of his speech a student posed this question to him and this was his reply.

Q Hi, I just want to get your comments about education. Recently, $12.7 billion was cut from education, and I was just wondering how that's supposed to help our futures? (Applause.)

THE PRESIDENT: Education budget was cut -- say it again. What was cut?

Q Twelve point seven billion dollars was cut from education, and I was just wondering how is that supposed to help our --

THE PRESIDENT: At the federal level?

Q Yes.

THE PRESIDENT: I don't think that -- I don't think we've actually -- for higher education? Student loans?

Q Yes, student loans.

THE PRESIDENT: Actually, I think what we did was reform the student loan program. We're not cutting money out of it. In other words, people aren't going to be cut off the program. We're just making sure it works better. Part of the reconciliation package, I think she's talking about. Yes, it's a reform of the program to make sure it functions better. It is -- in other words, we're not taking people off student loans, we're saving money in the student loan program because it's inefficient. And so I think the thing to look at is whether or not there will be fewer people getting student loans. I don't think so. And, secondly, on Pell grants, we're actually expanding the number of Pell grants through our budget.

But, great question. I think that the key on education is to make sure that we stay focused on how do we stay competitive into the 21st century. And I plan on doing some talking about math and science and engineering programs, so that people who graduate out of college will have the skills necessary to compete in this competitive world.

But I'm -- I think I'm right on this. I'll check when I get back to Washington. But thank you for your question.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases ... 123-4.html

Personally - I am disgusted...almost embarressed for him. He answered this question so poorly and am trying to figure out if he actually did answer it. I saw the actual clip on tv and he is so shifty and acts like he can't hear her. I notice in the dialogue this happens again and maybe it's just a coincidence, but the 2 questions he has trouble hearing are ones that are negative.

What do you all think? Please feel free to bring up anything else in his speech you would like to discuss.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Cool Cat

Can't listen to him. I cringe. He is the most inarticulate president that I can remember. Tony Blair made Bush sound like a high school drop out. Another thing, is this guy wearing a sneer?

Shari
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Cool Cat

Quote:
and he is so shifty and acts like he can't hear her
Dick Cheney was on a hearing plug talking in his other ear,

but Dick didn't have the answer either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Tom Cat

I am beyond feeling sorry for him. Now, I simply turn the channel when he comes on or else laugh uncontrollably at his attempts of sounding intelligent. I mean "The illiteracy level of our children are appalling" come ON!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 12:48 AM
Cool Cat

yea, he should just dis-ban the military and the congress, then he would have more spare time to get some of that student loan monies and pell grants,

and then go back to school to learn public speaking so he could better satisfy the audiences he talks to,

and every one would like him then.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 03:56 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to spamlet
http://boreme.com/boreme/funny-collecti ... ush-p1.php

Please, please, please watch The Ten Year Difference from the link above, at the bottom of page 1 and then watch The Bush and Blair duet on page 4. And then if you have the time watch all of the movies, becuase they rock and you will cry with laughter (unless you like George Bush!)

As for his speech...I'm at a point now where I do feel quite sorry for him! I've heard that it might be the beginning of alzheimer's (the 10 year difference clip above will really shock you) So *shrugs* I guess if it's alzheimer's then it's pretty sad. http://kevincassell.com/PERSON/POLITICS/left/bush.htm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

It just still suprises me how someone like this can be president. I don't judge him soley by any means on how well he can articulate. It is the content of what he has to say that really disturbs me.

Quote:
and then go back to school to learn public speaking so he could better satisfy the audiences he talks to,

and every one would like him then.
I dont' care how well he can speak...I would still hate him. I am sure I am not the only one who feels that way. It just doesn't help his credibilty much.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Look at this part of the quote

Quote:
But, great question. I think that the key on education is to make sure that we stay focused on how do we stay competitive into the 21st century. And I plan on doing some talking about math and science and engineering programs, so that people who graduate out of college will have the skills necessary to compete in this competitive world.
The biggest part is not that it is poorly said but it doesn't even answer her question. The most disturbing part is that he doesn't talk about teaching/medical programs etc. He wants to focus on math, science, and engineering. Hrmm...I am thinking he wants these kids to graduate to build weapons for him???
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 06:02 AM
Senior Cat

Send a message via MSN to spamlet
Yeah I agree. He could be the most eloquant speaker in the world, I would still hate him. But it certainly doesn't help him much. It is definitely the context of what he says that is worrying...mind you, I guess that's more because he's a Republican.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Cool Cat

Quote:
that's more because he's a
Geuss I'll just stay in the closet on that one,lol;

All the political talk from anyone can bore you to death,

before President Clinton got elected he was getting booed big time at the DNC convention when he was talking for their candidate that year, I'm thinking Dukakus(?sp),

and then After President Clinton took office they're all talking what a great speaker he was,

I could go out to a used car lot and get the same 'great speaking skills' he'd had,

(peering out from the closet), and he did remind me of a used car salesman.

Ever tried to watch congress on CSPAN?

And the funny thing will be if President Bush is on top his game tonite, if your in opposition to him you've lowered the expectations for him,

and when many veiw his speech tonite, there going to see just the opposite and wonder what you've meant.

when he give his sound bites between all the clapping, and the clapping will be hidious interuption for me, I most won't be watching,

except to be a little curious to see if the Democrats do walk out, as some in their base want to have happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page