ABC's Woodruff more important than our troops? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:14 AM

ABC's Woodruff more important than our troops?

I don't think so!

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Cat Addict

I wondered about all of that too. Bear with me, I'm having a bit of trouble organizing my thoughts on this.

It is sad when anyone is seriously injured or killed. It is even more sad when it is someone you can relate to. The article you posted stated that the journalist injured is one that many Americans can relate to. I can understand how the media would use that to make front page news. Also, it might be harder for Americans to have the same sympathy and empathy towards soldiers as they have for citizens (i.e., the journalist in the story). While I cannot minimize the fact that thousands of soldiers have lost their lives and thousands more have been injured, the fact is soldiers ARE trained for war, journalists are not.

That being said, I do think it's sad that this incident hasn't brought more attention to our soldiers being injured and killed, but rather it has only created another media storm surrounding ONE issue. The media only portrays what they think Americans want to see and sadly they feel that we care more about one identifiable man than thousands of unidentifiable American soldiers. (When I say "identifiable" and "unidentifiable" I'm referring to the fact that the journalist can be named by more Americans than most soldiers; not that the soliders are worthless. Please do not misinterpret that.)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Of course he's not more valuable than our troops. People begin to feel as if they know celebrities in all fields, so it's as if a friend had been wounded or killed. Unfortunately, if a complete story were to be done on every one of our lost or wounded troops, the NY Times would be twice as thick as it is, and the television news would have to be limited to these stories. War is ****.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Cat Addict

Whenever we begin to hear about troop deaths, some decry that the liberal media is trying to undermine our resolve by emphasising how many people have died. Every time I see an article in my hometown paper about the numbers lost, it can be assured that there are such comments in reply on the web forum.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Cat Addict

What bothers me too is you when they show footage of the war they don't show all of the dead iraqi's and U.S. troops. They don't show the blood and carnage. IF you tune into Democracy Now or other like news sources you will see it. Not that I want to but I think if people actually saw the deaths of these people and not just hear about it they may feel differently about this war.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 05:55 PM
Premier Cat

The graphic coverage of the Vietnam war helped to bring that war to an end. And, of course, the killing of protesting (and uninvolved ) students at Kent State had a huge influence. I think there are very few wars that are justified. WWll is the only one in recent history that was unavoidable, in my opinion.

I hate to even think this, but I believe many people think war is exciting. They are gung ho about the "glamor" of war. Re-reading Stephen Crane's Red Badge of Courage is a good idea for all of us. Young people think they're invulnerable and all governments do their best to dehumanize the "enemy," just as they reverse the procedure when these enemies become our allies.

Here are some of the enemies of the twentieth century:

Germany
Italy
Japan
China
Russia

Remember the animalistic names we have given our enemies? Remember the cartoons showing the enemies as monsters? The purpose of that is to ready us for war. Good people don't want to kill other good people. But they will kill vicious animals. This is not an original idea, of course. I learned it in a Social Psychology class while in college. It is one type of propaganda.

These "vicious" animals are now our friends. Shades of 1984, by George Orwell! It's frightening. Double think.

I'm just venting. I'm basically a pacifist who realizes that there are some wars that are justified...very few.

This is off topic. My apologies.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
I agree, Jeanie. Well said
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop
Jeanie- I still watch the cartoons that give our old enemies those nicknames! Talk about major propaganda in them!

On the subject though, I think the US would be shocked and in disbelievment if they were shown the truth on the nightly news at 5pm. It would literaly overhwelm some people and perhaps for them they would rather just hear the hero/celebrity stories. For everyone else though I think we'd rather hear the truth and see the gruesome pictures of war. Some people are realists and some live in a fantasy world where the government can do no wrong. I am a realist and this is "my" opinion!

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Cool Cat

Our troops are special because they are willing to grant something they value for the sake of The United States of America.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Premier Cat

Of course. As I said, if there were an in depth story on all the thousands who have been killed, the New York Times would be double in size. It's not a matter of priorities; it's a matter of practicality.

Cat Daddy, I really wish you'd understand that those of us who think there should not have been a war in the first place still support our own children, spouses, and siblings. Don't assume that those opposed to this war are against the troops. That's an insult against our integrity.

I think we've have people on both sides who have been acting a bit too strongly against those who disagee. This is America! We have the right to disagree. There is no need for this adversarial situation. People can discuss things in a respectful manner.

We are NOT Hanoi Janes. (I shouldn't even mention that, because she has apologized for that time after time, and regrets having said it. )

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page