More winter time Bass fishing from the South - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:06 AM

More winter time Bass fishing from the South

I went to my boss's pond to try out my new Vertical Jig. I started out at about 11:30 AM on a sun-shiny day, temps in the 50s, and lots of wind.

My second pitch of the new jig(3/4 oz, Cayuga Craw with a Joe's chunk trailer, CB's HS, and Megastrike) landed me a 6lb, 8 oz Bass. She picked it up off of the bottom in about 10' of water. Her belly was bulging from either eggs(I doubt that this early?) or food. She had the slender, dark, flat tail of something(?) sticking out of her throat. I was pumped with that catch as as far as I know, that's the heaviest Bass caught in that 5 year old pond!

The opening for the line tie is perfect to press a gob of Megastrike into. It stayed the entire time I was pitching. I dipped the jig into CB's HS several times to 'refresh' it.

Pitching the 1/2 oz VJ in black/blue caught me three dinks in shallower water. And then I caught a 1 lb, 3 oz, 15 incher on that jig.

Next came a 2.0 lb, 16 incher I caught on a wacky-rigged Long Ika(color #196).

Before I quit due to the wind, I had a 3(?) lber on the 3/4 oz VJ but I let her get off as I was trying to lip her.

Yes, I'm impressed with the VJ's. I only had 3 or 4 hang ups and I got them loose by just getting close and reeling down. This is a quality jig in my book.

Vertical Jigs

6.5 lbs--23"

Belly!

Again

1.3 lbs--15"

2.0 lbs--16"

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Cool Cat

I have no idea what you're talking about but I can tell you are enjoying your life.

Shari
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 PM

You're correct. My prose was aimed at Bass fisher-persons familiar with the in's-and-out's of fishing tackle, artificial baits, techniques, etc. I took the 'easy' way out of posting by copying it from a Fishing Forum that I post on. I apologize for not wording it more for the non-fishing person but I thought a change of topic here in the Lounge might lighten things up some

Btw, I weigh, tape(for length), photograph, and release Bass so they may both spawn and be caught again. I've caught many more than once including a 6 lber caught three times over a 3-4 month span.

That pond is about 5 years old and is about 5 acres in area, located on a farm of 600 acres in middle GA, just north of Ft. Valley, GA and in the middle of Peach County where peach blossoms are about to go into bloom .

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Well, you have another bass fishing illiterate here again. MY brother and brother-in-law were both fishermen. They were trout fishermen, and I went once as a child to my BIL's cabin for a week. I trailed along behind him, but I think I just chased the trout away! He showed me where he thought the big ones would hide, and why. I enjoyed the week, but never attempted to fish.

My brother bought a boat to go down to Deep Creek, and some deeper waters, (in Maryland, I believe,) but I was too frightened to join him, for fear that my little ones would fall overboard. I know that hurt his feelings, and that saddens me, because he died very young, and I idolized him. He had been in the Navy, and when he was very ill, he would often visit. He knew he wouldn't live long, and he had to talk with someone who knew how to hide the tears. When he thought noone was looking, he would stand and stare at the ship (wooden sailing ship, a frigate) on my mantle, and I knew what he was thinking.

I'm so glad you release the fish. My brother loved nature, but also loved to hunt, and I always wished that he had hunted with a camera. I believe his love for nature rubbed off on me. He was in his teens when I was born, and always asked me to watch nature programs with him. I did, only because I loved him so much, but it rubbed off. And when I became a mother, I had my children watch them with me.

What a wonderful world this is, so full of diversity and beauty. I'm glad you enjoy it! Wouldn't it be great to live in a place like Yosemite National Park and commune with nature? Of course, that would destroy its pristine wonder, and that would be a tragedy. Enjoy nature; you respect it!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:19 PM
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
What a wonderful world this is, so full of diversity and beauty. I'm glad you enjoy it! Wouldn't it be great to live in a place like Yosemite National Park and commune with nature? Of course, that would destroy its pristine wonder, and that would be a tragedy. Enjoy nature; you respect it!
Hi all,

Yes it is really a pleasure to hear lightninrod's reports of his fishing trips, and I also enjoy the photos. I live in an area where fishing is a big deal, although I don't get a chance to go out and do it myself much lately.

I am a big nature lover too , and try to get out and just sit by a river or lake as much as possible. I am lucky to live in a place where that is easy to do.

Jeanie, your memories of your brother and brother-in-law remind me of how I wish so much I had done more fishing with my father before he passed. We never got much of a chance to and then I moved to the other end of the state and when I would talk to him on the phone he always asked if there was good fishing where I was and I would say "yeah, pretty good," and then he would say "I wish I could live somewhere where I could go fishing." I was so busy with my life at that time, and I thought that someday we would get the chance to get together and do just that... but he passed away suddenly. I guess it is important not to put off the important things in life like fishing.

You mentioned Yosemite, which is a big weakness of mine. Everytime someone mentions yosemite I have to respond. I was lucky enough to have lived and worked in yosemite when I was 19/20 years old. It was a wonderful experience I hold quite dear. I got to know little areas of beauty that the tourists didn't know about and could spend my days off sitting in a little pool of water surrounded by ferns and fed by a waterfall.

After I lived in Yosemite for a while I started to feel bad about the impact man was making on that area and felt like it was wrong to live there anymore. Like what you said " enjoy nature; you respect it" is so true.

I moved to the east side of the Sierras by a trout fishing lake called Convict Lake. I worked nights at the restaurant and spent my days in a kayak on the lake. Saw some big trout. Wonderful memories. I am very thankful for them.

Convict Lake

So do you live in Calif. Jeanie?

Anyone ever up my way, which is Trinity Co. is very welcome to visit.

best,
Karen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Premier Cat

Oh, Karen, how I envy you--but not in an unkind way. I'm so happy for you! I live in Western PA. I live near Pittsburgh, but far enough away (17 miles) that we have a woods and a tiny stream on our property, and nothing brings me more joy than planting flowers, feeding the birds, and even seeing a deer at the bird feeder on occasion. I often go to the edge of the woods just to get a nature "fix," and when I'm depressed I go outside and look at this beautiful world. Since there is a deep valley across the road, noone has built up that part of the road, and I can feel as if I'm almost alone with God. Somehow my problems seem small.

I have been to California only once. We went by train and had a side trip to the Grand Canyon. Such an unspeakable wonder! I think Yosemite must be one of the most beautiful places on the earth, but sadly, our trip did not include a trip there. I was in San Francisco for only one day, and did a tour of that beautiful city, not knowing that the Redwoods were so close. How I hope that someday I can see them, Yosemite, the Sequoias, and Yellowstone. I have seen Niagara Falls, both oceans, the Mississippi, and the Canyon, and feel very fortunate, but I really yearn to go to Yosemite. We don't have a smiley for melancholy, do we?

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:28 PM

Thank all of you for the great posts especially fuzzywuzzy's . Btw, what's that White 'stuff' all around that lodge in your link fw? The first year(1972) we moved to middle GA, it snowed and dropped 24" of that 'stuff' here. It was the first time my wife, our Dalmatian, our Rhodesian Ridgeback, and our Siamese had been in snow. I had seen and been it before and y'all can have it .

Catch-n-Release of Bass has caught on around the country and many(most?) Bassers do release them especially the bigger ones as they are the ones carrying the genes that will produce more of the big Bass we all love to catch.

I caught this 6 lber three different times: (couldn't find the "first time" pic)

second time

third time

The little, 10' X 4' boat I fish out of.

My current Personal Best Bass, a 9 lber

Yes, I released her too. My goal is to catch my first double-digit Bass and I have promised myself(publicly) that I will release 'her'(most all really BIG Bass are females) too. Today, you can have a very realistic replica made of your catch with the length and girth measurements plus some pics for the taxidermist instead of killing the fish and stuffing it.

Dan
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Cool Cat

Does Georgia have a "sharelunker" program like Texas does? If you catch a fish that is 13 lb or bigger here, you can give it to Texas parks and wildlife. Then they will use it for breeding and will give you a free replica of the fish you caught.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 07:48 AM

Shannon: Texas is leading the way with their Share-a-Lunker program and as far as I know, no other State has a similar program. Texas has led the way in so many things though so it's not unusual !

Dan
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Premier Cat

That sounds like a good idea. Your 9 lb. bass would have been a great addition to any program. Reminds me of "On Golden Pond." I can't remember the name of the fish Henry Fonda and the boy caught, but it was a great moment in the film when they released him. What was his name, anyway?

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page