Warning to myspace users - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Premier Cat

Warning to myspace users

Another reminder than the internet can be dangerous:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/ ... 7928.shtml

Aside from the girls mentioned in the article, there are at least two murdered teen girls in other states whose deaths may be linked to people they met on myspace. I'm trying to find the article I read that in, so I'll post it here when I do.

Be careful out there...

Owned by Pepper and Pumpkin RIP Snickers 8/22/00 -- 11/28/06

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Cat

Send a message via AIM to lunarbishop Send a message via Yahoo to lunarbishop
Have ya'll seen a myspace profile? Half the time the girls on there are posing in ways they shouldn't. You have to be 16 or older to join the site but almost all of them lie. Its disgusting. I can't believe the way some of these girls are acting. And when you try and report them, all they do is delete the profile but before its even deleted there's a new one up. It really makes me wonder what their parents are doing while they are online. Until I was 18 I was not allowed to be online without my mom in the room. She wasn't snooping but she was making sure that I didn't wander anywhere I shouldn't be.

Now granted the male idiots that choose to talk to the girls through myspace do deserve some sortof punishment, but the girls need a form of punishment too. There are predators out there and plain and simple idiots. Everyone should know the difference between them and these girls parading around half naked should be stopped too.

k..sorry that was just my two cents-I do not condone the violence that was in the link, I'm just trying to show that there are two sides.

~bekki & daizy & aramis~
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:40 PM
Cat Addict

These kids need parental supervision. Yeah, the kids are being complete idiots, but I don't think they can fully appreciate the danger out there. Society tells them that sixteen-year-olds are sexy, and while they might - in some small way - know better, they're just following suit.

These kids need to be taught in the firmest way possible, and parents need to step up to the plate. We've known about online predators for a decade now. There's absolutely no excuse anymore for not being vigilant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarbishop
Have ya'll seen a myspace profile? Half the time the girls on there are posing in ways they shouldn't. You have to be 16 or older to join the site but almost all of them lie. Its disgusting. I can't believe the way some of these girls are acting.
I'm sad to say that my little sister fits in this category. *shakes head in shame*

How do you report the pages? I'll go report hers.

And I HATE myspace -- there is TOO much information those kids put on there. If someone wanted to find my sister and hurt her, they could, very easily. I've tried to get it taken down but no luck.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:18 PM
Banned

Crystal and I have had many discussions about this. The only thing that it benefits is staying in contact with friends. Too bad everyone uses it as an online personal. It's ridiculous.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarbishop
Have ya'll seen a myspace profile? Half the time the girls on there are posing in ways they shouldn't. You have to be 16 or older to join the site but almost all of them lie. Its disgusting. I can't believe the way some of these girls are acting. And when you try and report them, all they do is delete the profile but before its even deleted there's a new one up. It really makes me wonder what their parents are doing while they are online. Until I was 18 I was not allowed to be online without my mom in the room. She wasn't snooping but she was making sure that I didn't wander anywhere I shouldn't be.

Now granted the male idiots that choose to talk to the girls through myspace do deserve some sortof punishment, but the girls need a form of punishment too. There are predators out there and plain and simple idiots. Everyone should know the difference between them and these girls parading around half naked should be stopped too.

k..sorry that was just my two cents-I do not condone the violence that was in the link, I'm just trying to show that there are two sides.
This resembles the "she deserved to get raped b/c of what she was wearing" argument. Yes, young people should take better precautions. As Aphrodeia states, though, young people, women in particular, get very clear messages though about what and how they should dress and act in order to be cool and to fit in. Peer pressure is unbelievable. It is absolutely an epidemic in our culture. Nobody asks to be abducted and raped based on their myspace profile no matter how risque it looks. Yes, their parents should do a better job of controlling it but how many of YOUR parents know what myspace is? My mom doesn't and she is a pretty hip mom when it comes to these things.

PLEASE stop placing blame on the victims and keep it where it belongs: on the perpretators of crimes.

You say revolution, I say jah. --O.A.R.

Dell and the two cats, Isabella and Hermione plus 5 amazing dogs
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Of course we shouldn't "blame" the victim. However, if I saw a child in a dangerous situation, I think it's my duty as a mother and a teacher to help that child to get out of it. The middle school students don't think in an adult way. They're in the most confusing time of their lives. They make bad choices that could and do give predators the wrong impression. They want to give the impression that they are older and sexy.

I remember that when my mother warned me about walking down dark streets alone, I'd say, in that condescending tone young people often use, "Oh, Mom!!!" We know that young people believe they are invulnerable. That's why I think parents should supervise the use of computers.

In addition, I hope there will be a way to lock out some sites (if there isn't, already), as there is on cable tv. My kids are out of the nest now, so I might be behind the times, as far as that type of technology is concerned. Come to think of it, there is. Businesses lock out IM and games now.

I would also make my daughter change if she was dressed inappropriately. Old fashioned or not, I'd rather have a safe child, even if I had to put some restrictions on her privileges. We know they're not safe; they're sure they are!

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie
I would also make my daughter change if she was dressed inappropriately. Old fashioned or not, I'd rather have a safe child, even if I had to put some restrictions on her privileges.
I would do likewise.

Too many people take the stance of: "Oh, they'll do it anyway, and I did that when I was a kid, so where's the harm?" The point isn't that kids always listen to parents. The point is that it is the parents' job to make these guidelines known. Sure, some kids will sneak a change of clothes to school - I did. But my mother was instrumental in reminding me of these boundaries, even if I chose to violate them anyway.

Very, very important stuff.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Myspace actually looks really boring to me.

I don't see the allure of it.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-05-2006, 04:17 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Probably the fact that you and your friends can say things your mother won't know about.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page