Plan on seeing the movie "Eight Below?" *I SAW IT - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Plan on seeing the movie "Eight Below?" *I SAW IT

About a month ago my husband and I saw "Glory Road" (which was a good movie, even if you're not a sports fanatic, BTW) and there was a preview for "Eight Below." I have definitely got to see this movie!

If you don't know already, it's based on a true story of a 1957 Japanese expedition to the Antarctic where some unforeseen accident happens, causing the explorers to have to leave the continent and their dogs behind for a while. The movie covers what the dogs went through for survival until the explorers were able to go back to the Antartic and get the dogs after long storm had finally settled.

This movie looks like it will tug at the heartstrings big time and I definitely have a soft spot for that kind of dog. The dog I had while growing up was part Siberian Husky and the dogs in the movie are either that or Alaskan Malamute (I honestly can't tell the difference between the two breeds sometimes).

I searched the Internet trying to find critics reviews of the movie but to no avail. I did, however, find a site that gave a few reviews of people who were able to catch a sneak peak of it already and one lady in particular said there wasn't a dry eye in the whole theatre! From small kids to big burly guys - everybody was passing Kleenex around. I joked with my husband and told him that if that's the case I'd better bring a roll of toilet paper to wipe my tears!

Anyway, I'm excited for this movie especially since I know it's based on truth. It starts Friday, Feb 17th so my husband and I are going to go on a belated Valentine's outing of dinner and a movie that night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Cat Addict

I'm definately planning on seeing it!
The dogs are supposed to be malamutes. I haven't payed close enough attention to the previews to tell for sure. There are some differences between Malamutes and Siberians like ear position. In person I can usually tell because malamutes seem bigger than Siberians.

Jennifer and the monsters
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:29 AM
Cat

I cried during the preview of this movie so I can only imagine what I will be like during the actual film. I am generally a basket case during movies that deal with animals.

You say revolution, I say jah. --O.A.R.

Dell and the two cats, Isabella and Hermione plus 5 amazing dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 11:09 AM
Cat Addict

I'm looking forward to this one. Looks like something my whole family can enjoy.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 12:07 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spacemonkey Send a message via Yahoo to spacemonkey
Re: Anyone plan on seeing the movie "Eight Below?"

I hadn't seen anything about it yet, but it sounds like something I'd definitely go see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
This movie looks like it will tug at the heartstrings big time and I definitely have a soft spot for that kind of dog. The dog I had while growing up was part Siberian Husky and the dogs in the movie are either that or Alaskan Malamute (I honestly can't tell the difference between the two breeds sometimes).
Well, not to nitpick, but as far as I know true sled dogs are neither breed. Most of the dogs (which are called Huskies) have been cross-bred for certain characteristics, and don't have the consistent look of a purebred. I also tend to doubt that the purebred Siberians and Malamutes that we know today would be so well-equipped for an Antarctic expedition. It will be interesting to see if the movie is picky about that or not
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Cat Addict

The dogs used in the Byrd expeditions were Malamutes.
Siberian Huskies (true Husky people prefer the term Siberian over Husky) are also commonly used.
Chinooks are also sled dogs, but the breed is more rare (all Chinooks decend from the same male named Chinook who was a SH cross).
Quote:
Naturally, most northern breeds were used as sled dogs. Alaskan Malamutes, Siberian Huskies, Eskimo Dogs, Greenlands, Samoyeds, Norrbottenspets, and Hokkaidokens are all sled dogs. However, lots of different breeds of dogs have been and are used to drive sleds and carts. People use Irish Setters, Dalmations, Golden Retrievers, etc., to enjoy mushing sports. In fact, most modern day speed and endurance mushers use mixed breeds (often Siberian crossed with Greyhound). So, if you do not have a "sled dog," but still want to enjoy the sport, fear not, for most any type of dog can be used. Mushing is fun, both to take part in and simply to watch.
http://www.webheads.co.uk/sleddog/faq/indexmain.htm

Jennifer and the monsters
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

My husband and I went out for our belated Valentine's Day date last night - dinner and a movie. We saw Eight Below. The theatre was absolutely packed and sniffling could be heard throughout the theatre almost constantly about a half hour into the movie. I was a basketcase just like I'd expected. I forgot to bring a couple of my husband's hankies to the movie so I grabbed a bunch of napkins at the consession stand before going in.

There were 8 dogs to start off with - 6 Siberian Huskies and 2 Alaskan Malamutes. The whole time I was watching the movie I kept thinking of the dog I grew up with, BJ, who was part Husky/Wolf/German Shepherd. The dogs were absolutely beautiful and at times their acting was better than the humans of the film. The camera work and directing portrayed the dogs exactly the way I remember my dog to be and how I believe a lot of dogs to be - they were all very caring of each other, just like a real family. I don't want to give the movie away but just wanted to mention that the sweetest part of the movie for me probably was when one of the dogs had been injured and had a bum leg so wasn't getting around too well. They had gotten hungry and were preying upon some birds that swooped down to catch fish in the water. One of the dogs surrendered his catch to the injured dog and I absolutely lost it!

The film was by no means something that I would consider to grow to be a big box office hit but it was a wonderful story of animal loyalty and companionship and something that I believe every animal lover should see. There were quite a few children there (some appearing as young as 3 years old) and most seemed to be glued to the screen. I think it was definitely worth the ticket price if you just want some good lighthearted entertainment that leaves you with a warm feeling.

I'm also grateful that Disney chose not to portray the absolute truth of the real story on which the film is based. I read a few days ago that in the actual events in 1958, 7 of 9 dogs did not survive the ordeal but Disney's version is not that harsh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page