Tracing your ancestry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Tracing your ancestry

I watched this very interesting show the other night on PBS called Tracing African American Lives and I am wondering...do you know how your people came to settle in your part of the country? I'm on the east coast so I'm thinking after they got "off the boat" that was as far as they were willing to go. Have any stories?

Shari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Senior Cat

My family's history is simply amazing. They first came over here from England in the 1630's and built this house: http://www.fairbankshouse.org/ The Fairbanks daugher, Mary, married Michael Metcalf. Metcalf was my grandmother's maiden name.

Further, we can trace the Metcalfs all the way back to 1016, when they left Ireland for England. Some distant cousin wrote a geneology book in the late 1800's and my great-grandfather is mentioned in it. (My mother has a cppy of this book.)

On the other side, my Dad's parents came over here from Finland. He can trace back quite a bit over there too, but nobody I have met can beat my Mom. I mean, jeez, 1016?? That's one thousand years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Senior Cat

From Poland to Galveston and Ellis Island, thru my maternal GP's-First settlers of Richmond County, Texas I have photos of my Great, Great GP'S with my Great Grand mother as a liitle girl and supposedly there is photo of HER mother as a child some where! History of Poles in Texas mentions them. They were hardy pioneer stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
All of my grandparents supposedly were nobility before WWII.

However, since the Cultural Revolution all the family documents were destroyed and pretty much all of whatever family members that were left in China were tortured and killed. There is not much to trace now
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 12:07 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
My father came here from England, after serving 15 years in the British Navy. War broke out, so he joined the Canadian Army, and was stationed in Glasgow, Scotland, where he met my mother. She was much younger. They married and had two children, a girl and a boy. Several years later, my father returned to the States and got a job and a place to live, then sent for my mom and the children.

They had a baby here who died, and returned to Scotland to try to forget the loss. My sister and brother attended school there for a year or so, when my parents realized you can't run from pain. They returned to the US, and a few years later had another daughter, my sister. Three years later I was born. It was Father's Day, and my father was 51. What a Father's Day gift at his age! He seemed young to me, though! I was born eight miles from where I now live in a small city in W. PA. I can speak with a Scottish accent, and love to fool people!

I understand that I am the great, great, great, great ???? niece of Macadam, who developed the black top road. (in Scotland, of course)

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:13 AM
Cat Addict

One of my paternal great grandfathers immigrated to the US (specifically North Dakota) from Germany in the early 1900s. Once he was settled here he sent for my great grandmother who was only in her early teens from what I understand. All of their children (my paternal grandfather's family) were born here in North Dakota where they farmed the land and worked the coal mines in the area.

My other paternal great grandfather was a German who made his way to Russia to, from what I understand, to teach the Russians how to farm the land there and make use of it. He then made his way to North Dakota, USA, as well where all of he and his wife's children (my paternal grandmother's family) were born. They also farmed.

One of my sets of maternal great grandparents from there way from Norway to somewhere in western Minnesota, where my great grandfather was a Lutheran minister. Other than that I don't know much about my maternal lineage, other than they immigrated from Norway 4 generations ago.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 04:25 AM
Cat Addict

Send a message via AIM to DylansMummy Send a message via MSN to DylansMummy Send a message via Yahoo to DylansMummy
This is the sum total that I know about my family...

My maternal Grandfather was born in Bury St Edmunds in Sussex, England. He was raised by his aunt and uncle, who both unfortunately died by the time he was 14. We did not know until shortly before his death that in fact his birth mother was my "great aunt" who everyone knew as Auntie Hettie (Harriet). Hettie it seems became pregnant out of wedlock so was sent away to have the baby, who was then raised by her brother. My Mum told me she always knew that this particular aunt was "more special" than the rest as they all saw her a lot around Christmas etc. Even now I remember as a small child we would visit London where she lived and take her out for the evening to get roasted chestnuts and see the Christmas lights. Whenever I smell roasted chestnuts I think of my Auntie Hettie. My Mum found out when both of them were terminal in hospital and someone from the hospital in London rang and asked to speak to William regarding his Mother Harriet! My Mum obviously confronted my Grandad and she said it was the only time she saw him look a little sheepish!

He met my Grandmother and had 8 children, including my Mum. They divorced when my Mum was 21, my Grandmother citing in the divorce that my Grandad would not help round house etc. Neither remarried. My Grandad died in 1988 when I was 4 on my sisters 16th birthday, a week or two after his own birth mother.

My paternal Grandfather (Pop) lived his whole life in my home town. He worked first in WWII collect unexploded bombs as he could not actively serve due to being deaf in one ear. I believe he met and married my Grandmother after the war and married. They had 4 children over the years. He then wroked as a dreyman, delivering barrells of beer to all the local pubs (And there were a lot!) There were no drink driving laws so Pop would get a pint at every pub for his trouble. By the end of the day he'd be absolutely reeking but he'd still go to the pub after work for a pint!!

His next job was at a local builders merchants, where my Dad would eventually work himself. They worked side by side for 22 years until the company became bankrupt. It was through this job my Dad met my Mum when my Dad was 16 and my Mum was 14. My Mum's older brother also worked at the company and brought my Dad home one day After a reluctant first date (the initial reluctance from my Mum!) they became a couple and have been together ever since. My brother was a complete accident, born in 1968 when my Mum was 16. They married the day after my Mum's birthday in 1970 My sister and I followed, my sister a few years after my brother, and me around 11 years after my sister.

Unfortunately my Grandfather passed away in 2000 of kidney failure.

and I think that is all there is to tell! Hope it wasn't too boring!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
You forgot to tell us when the family moved to Scotland.

Jeanie

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page