my 6th prenatal check up - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

my 6th prenatal check up

my 6th prenatal checkup was supposed to be Feb. 7th, but i went to the ER Friday for a catheter 'cuz i was peeing way too much. they took urine & found glucose in my pee, but didn't do bloodwork [don't know why]. the catheter was uncomfortable, so i took it out Saturday at 3:45 then when it came bedtime i wanted it back to keep from gettin up so much. i went back to the ER to get another one. i told them about the glucose, so they did bloodwork & said i have Gestational Diabetes. i was admitted & finally came home today. i have to do insulin shots & all now. i'm due May 3rd, but they'll probably take her early now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Is there anyway you can delay it?

I was born three weeks early. It was not fun. I turned up just fine but I have always wondered what would I be if I was born normally.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei

I was born three weeks early. It was not fun. I turned up just fine but I have always wondered what would I be if I was born normally.

You remember being born three weeks early?

Really, three weeks is nothing. Due dates are only a guess. My co-worker's son was born at 26 weeks. Now that is early. And he's now a happy, healthy little 5-year-old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
No I remember skipping most of kindergarten because of upper respiratory infection due to being born prematurely.

Actually I don't remember how "early" I was. My mom told me I was about a month early. I was born in a military hospital so maybe that had something to do with it. My father did the delivery (he was a doctor) but apparently he messed up and I had to be forced out with metal clamps which slightly deformed my right ear....probably one of the reasons my parents broke up.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei

With gestational diabetes *sometimes* it is best for the baby to be born a little early. There *can be* many complications that come with being born to a mother who has GD - the big one of which is the baby can be born too big, which is not safe for the mother either, especially if you have a small body frame.

Trust me on this - being born 3 weeks early isn't a big deal at all. I, myself, born 2 weeks early and I know a lot of people who were born a few weeks before they were supposed to be and women who have had babies a little early and everything turned out just fine. When I was pregnant, my doctor told me that when a woman is expecting 1 baby there is about a 2-week leeway in either direction as to what is considered a normal length of time for pregnancy. There's absolutely no way to predict with certainty the exact date in which a baby should be born.

The main concern in a baby being born early is *are it's lungs fully developed and functioning properly?* Because I was pregnant with twins my doctor told me that the "normal" length of pregnancy is actually more like 37 weeks, and my twins were born at 36 weeks 4 days and they were both perfectly healthy. They were each a tad bit small (my daughter weighed 5 pounds 2 ounces and was 18½ inches long while my son weighed 4 pounds 13 ounces and was 18 inches long) but they're lungs were fully functional and they spent absolutely no time at all in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. I was in the hospital for 4 days because I had a C-section, plus had twins, and the babies came home with me. They just turned 1 year old on Wednesday and you would never know by looking at them that they were born at 37 weeks, except that they aren't quite as chunky as a lot of babies are at that age. Over the last year they have hit their developmental milestones at virtually the exact same time as would be expected of any other baby (keeping in mind there are no two babies alike and they all do things at different times) and my son has even gotten so tall that he is in the 75th percentile when compared to other boys his age!

Anyway, if you were diagnosed with gestational diabetes and want to make the best out of your pregnancy and assure the best for your child just make sure you take the shots as you should and watch what you eat. The majority of the time (not always) gestational diabetes will go away after the baby is born and you can go back to your normal diet.

I don't want to scare you but just want you to be informed, so let me just say that if there is any risk that your child could be born prior to 34 weeks (or maybe it's 35 - I don't recall right now) then be sure to ask your doctor to do a monitoring test on you to check the baby's lung function prior to giving birth. If the lungs aren't quite developed the way they should be then you can be given a short series of steroid shots a couple of days before the baby is to be scheduled to be born which will greatly speed up the lung development.

Just take everything in stride and trust that things will be okay. The entire last half of my pregnancy was no picnic at all (I'll spare you the icky details) but my kids are completely healthy and that's all that matters to me!

Take care!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Senior Cat

I was born two weeks late...what does that do to a baby?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:07 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerilka
Nothing really. Like I was saying earlier, my doctor told me that the "normal" range of pregnancy can go anywhere from 2 weeks early to 2 weeks late, so anywhere between 38 and 42 weeks. You were probably just born a bit chubby is all. I have a couple of cousins who were born at around 42 weeks and they both ended up perfectly healthy. It was probably getting to be a bit miserable for their mothers though!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
I was four weeks late. Whatever's wrong with you I've got double.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annissa
Quote:
I was four and a half weeks late.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianthe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annissa
Quote:
I was four and a half weeks late.
OMG, your poor mother! Was the doctor just actually way off on his/her calculations according to her LMP? Cuz I honestly didn't realize that a doctor would let a woman go that far without taking the baby. I know how I felt when I was only 37 weeks with twins so I probably would have been begging someone to put me out of my misery if I were 4½ weeks late! Your mom has every bit of my sympathies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page