Skepticism over the "reality" of Survivor... - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Skepticism over the "reality" of Survivor...

Yeah, yeah...I'm such a cynic but from day one of watching seeing this show I've had very serious doubts as to the authenticity of it.

Am I the only person in the country who doesn't believe this show is for real?

Here's the thing...they're not alone on some island like they would have you believe. There's obviously a camera crew there, people! I have a real hard time grasping the idea that the "contestants" are roughing it wherever they are because I highly doubt CBS would make its crew, especially Jeff Probst, go without decent food, water, plumbing, etc., for the sake of trying to pull off this show.

My husband loves watching the show but he's not too sure that it's for real either. He basically watches it for the entertainment factor with the cat fights between the contestants, etc.

I do watch it now and then for amusement as well but just can't find truth in it. I've often joked with my husband that I think the contestants are Hollywood wannabes looking for an acting job and that CBS is shooting this whole thing on a studio backlot and that after a contestant is voted off they walk through the cleverly shaded walkway straight into the front door of a Hilton Hotel, which is where I also think everyone is staying after shooting for the show is over. They only shoot 60 minutes (minus commercials) once a week so there's a heck of a lot of free time unaccounted for.

Here's another thing...you know all the "secretive" conversations between two people now and then. Someone obviously had to tape that and edit it. When they sent the first contestant to Exile Island a couple of weeks ago she wasn't alone. She was talking into a camera. Who knows...if there was a cute guy on the operating end of that camera they probably had a little "thing" going on to kill time.

One last gripe and then I'll drop it...someone obviously spends a heck of a lot of time setting up the immunity and/or reward challenges every week. Do you really think all the people who do this are roughing it with the contestants? They're probably having one big shindig after taping for the week is over.

OK...that felt good to get off my chest. I know it's Valentine's Day today and I'm supposed to be all lovey-dovey and everything but instead I chose to be a grump and point out everything I think is a hoax. Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:04 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
Happy Valentine's Day to you too, Jolene! I think most people watching realize that there are camera operators and other crew--who are eating and sleeping in nice quarters. I'm sure many people who try out for reality shows are hoping to get a break in show business. However, the money's a pretty good motivation too!

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 PM
Cat Addict

Jolene, just last week they were televising Richard Hatch, the 1st. Survivor winner of the million, who they jailed for non payment of taxes on his winnings.

Hatch spilled the beans about the show to a certain extent by revealing he had caught the TV staff feeding some of the contestants and he, Hatch, had threatened to expose them to the public. He reportedly came up with a deal with the producers, that if he won, they would pay his taxes on the winnings. He also revealed that HE was NOT supposed to win the contest and that the producers had already picked out who they wanted to win.

Hmmm, wasn't the first show voted on by the viewing audience?

Yes, this show is heavily edited to create a story line of sorts with heroes & villains and various plots.

judy
"Where am I going and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM
Premier Cat

According to http://www.realitytvworld.com/:

Quote:
Minns claimed Hatch caught friends of other contestants sneaking food onto the island. He said he did not partake in the cheating.
The story also said the producers agreed to pay the taxes is Hatch won. Of course, they were quoting Richard Hatch, himself.

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie769
Hatch spilled the beans about the show to a certain extent by revealing he had caught the TV staff feeding some of the contestants and he, Hatch, had threatened to expose them to the public. He reportedly came up with a deal with the producers, that if he won, they would pay his taxes on the winnings. He also revealed that HE was NOT supposed to win the contest and that the producers had already picked out who they wanted to win.

Hmmm, wasn't the first show voted on by the viewing audience?

Yes, this show is heavily edited to create a story line of sorts with heroes & villains and various plots.
Wow, I guess I hadn't read anything about that. I knew Hatch was in trouble for tax evasion but didn't know the "outting of the show" story.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned

I was just watching a show on VH1 about how reality shows aren't really "reality."

Survivor was one show they pointed out -- they said they show the contestants and the hosts but they don't show you the 60 person camera crew that's with them.

They addressed The Real World and how it's like living on your high school stage...cameras everywhere, constant light and sound checks, no privacy, etc.

They brought up another show, I can't remember what it was, that a guy broke his arm on. They didn't catch it and had him "re-do" it later.

Reality shows' storylines are created after the show...during the editing. The editors create the characters they want, and only show people acting in certain ways to convey this character. Reality TV should be seen as entertainment (if you can call most of it "entertainment") and NOT reality.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Banned

Re: Skepticism over the "reality" of Survivor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Jolene, Survivor is every bit as real as professional wrestling! You know that!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Re: Skepticism over the "reality" of Survivor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldjr1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids3cats4me
Jolene, Survivor is every bit as real as professional wrestling! You know that!
LMAO! Yeah, I used to know an old lady who bought into every bit of that nonsense too! When she passed away she was about 90 years old and she watched pro wrestling until the day she died! It was so cute.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Cat Addict

I don't believe they've ever even suggested that the host and crew go without food/water/comforts.
There is obviously a big crew there-even a medical team for safety. I'm not sure how that takes away from the reality of it?
If you don't believe the contestants are starving, then you didn't see the Australia Survivor, or the one with the girls that stripped for peanut butter! They showed before and after shots and those people turned into skeletons!

Jennifer and the monsters
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Premier Cat

I agree with Jennifer. Although editing plays a big part in most reality shows, I have worried about the loss of weight among the contestants on Survivor. I enjoy the show, personally.

Jeanie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page