Sushi for the Western girl - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Sushi for the Western girl

I tried sushi for the first time this past weekend and loved it. However, I didn't order it, some other girls in the group did. I was wondering, for those less cultured than I, what is good and what is bad in the sushi world? For example, are there any types of rolls I should avoid?

Unfortunately, I only remember the name of one of the sushi rolls I tried, and it was the Spicy Tuna roll (mmmmm). The other had salmon in it, that I know.

So, any advice would be great. I would LOVE to have more, but I'm a little scared of what I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Cool Cat

I like to try new foods but I'm a little hesitant to eat raw fish, not because it's raw, I think because it's more of a cleanliness and the freshness of the fish issue. I think I'm afraid of parasites. My co-worker is Japanese. One year she brought in some homemade ??? I forget what it was, but it wasn't made with fish. It was rolled up like sushi with seaweed. It was good and I particularly liked the wasabi sauce. I thought it was cool that her mom took the time to prepare the dish so I made sure I tasted it. I'm ready for any tips anyone can offer too.

Shari
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Cat Addict

Most people like California rolls. They are yummy!

As far as sushi goes, I've had eel, red snapper, and something else I don't remember. The eel was yummy, and I like the snapper but DH didn't.

Tina

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot
I like to try new foods but I'm a little hesitant to eat raw fish, not because it's raw, I think because it's more of a cleanliness and the freshness of the fish issue. I think I'm afraid of parasites. My co-worker is Japanese. One year she brought in some homemade ??? I forget what it was, but it wasn't made with fish. It was rolled up like sushi with seaweed. It was good and I particularly liked the wasabi sauce. I thought it was cool that her mom took the time to prepare the dish so I made sure I tasted it. I'm ready for any tips anyone can offer too.
If you don't like raw, you should get shrimp tempera. It is deep-fried and crunchy
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Cat

My advice when it comes to sushi is ... only buy from places that have a fast turnaround. I'd never buy/eat sushi from the mall, for example, unless it was at a restaurant and not a fast food joint.

Some of the higher-end restaurants will have specials like live scallops that are guaranteed fresh (since they can't always get certain products at times). Look for a good sushi restaurant, and you can try anything you like without worry.

I like spider rolls. And unagi rolls.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Senior Cat

Anything with shrimp or crab will be cooked and should be ok.

I started out eating sushi with a girlfriend who did not eat any fish products. We often got the vegetable tempura rolls or various other vegetable ones. The tempura ones were the best of that batch.

I slowly graduated into more "risky" things like tuna and salmon. Salmon rolls are pretty much the only form of salmon I can tolerate.

My favorite roll is currently called a Naruto roll locally. I tried it initially because of the name, Naruto being a TV show I kind of enjoy (maybe unrelated). I believe it is eel and some sort of roe wrapped in rice and then the whole thing is wrapped in cucumber. The cucumber gives it a nice texture.

I would actually avoid eel and any sort of roe and stick to fish initially. Eel does not always taste great at first (and to me not at all in some cases).
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Premier Cat

I really only eat the cooked sushi, which I heard really isn't sushi since it isn't raw. Most everyone loves California Rolls, I love spicy tuna and cucumber rolls, etc. Anything cooked basically
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Senior Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat
I really only eat the cooked sushi, which I heard really isn't sushi since it isn't raw. Most everyone loves California Rolls, I love spicy tuna and cucumber rolls, etc. Anything cooked basically
It's still sushi. Maybe not "real" sushi, in quotes like that. When people say it they'd have to use air quotes. Then it might be right. But sushi without any cool quotes or air quotes just refers to vinegared rice.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Senior Cat

Godzilla rolls are awesome, as are King Kong rolls and Spider rolls, California rolls are a must try.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 09:01 PM
Senior Cat

When I go out, I'll get a Box with california rolls, avacado rolls and my personal favorite, Unagi which is freshwater eel, it's cooked and awesome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page