Apartment Rent Question *Update* - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

Apartment Rent Question *Update*

When we got our apartment a year and a half ago, we signed a one year lease. Then we renewed for another 6 months and our rent increased by $30 a month. However we did get a $100 bonus for signing a new lease, so it wasn't too bad. Now we would like to renew for another 6 months, but they want to raise our rent by another $30 a month! (With the same $100 off). Well, I called today and asked how much our one bedroom apartment was going for (acted like I did not live there) and with the discount I would get for being a hospital employee, it would be $542 a month. They are trying to charge us almost $600 a month. I just think this is ridiculous! Is this standard practice? They will actually be saving money if we stay since they do not have to clean up the apartment and yet they want to charge us way more. I am tempted to just tell them that I don't want to renew, I just want to get a new aparment at the cheap price. Does anyone think it would work if I went to go talk to them and told them I knew how much the apartments were for a new renter and that I could not afford how much my rent was going up to and that I might just have to move somewhere else? Has anyone been in this situation? I could maybe understand if the rent was going up in general, but it is only going up for those who renew.

Shannon
Loving her cat Stormy and missing her angel cat Justin 1-13-09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Senior Cat

That doesn't seem right at all. You might want to threaten to move out - but be prepared to carry out your threat, just in case.

I hated renting. I think buying a house was the best thing we ever did. Although, with ever increasing taxes, we still face the same issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to roseeden
I did EXACTLY what you said. I saved about $40 a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Cat Addict

I think they charge you more because it's a shorter lease term. My fiance pays more per month for just rent than I do and I live across the parking lot from him. He originally signed a 9 month lease, and I signed a 1 year lease. However, they did not INCREASE rent with each signing.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Cat

When I was in college I rented an apartment at an apartment complex with some friends. After the first year when we had to renew, they upped our rent (probably around $20-30/mo I don't remember exactly). We didn't think much of it since it was split by 3 at the time, but at the end of the second year they wanted to do the same thing. We ended up moving out and into another apartment at a different (nicer) complex. With the rent increases, we could afford it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Senior Cat

Sadly this type of stuff is common. Here they do it more sneakily by offering incentives to move in to new customers only.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

I think last time we renewed, it was upped by $30 a month for a 6 month lease. If we had done a 1 year lease, it would have gone up $20 a month. This time, the paper they stuck on our door did not specify the length of lease, just how much the rent would be.
Believe me, we really want to be in a house for many reasons. We just cannot afford how much it would cost until my husband starts making money off his business. He expects this to be mid-August so if we sign another 6 month lease, it will be up at the end of October. Hopefully by then we can start looking to buy a house. That's why I don't to lease a whole year. Looking back, we should have signed a year lease last time, but my husband keeps taking longer and longer to start up his business. I can't imagine it taking a whole year longer though.
We really don't want to move out...it would be a giant pain. I just want to be able to convince them that they would be losing out on money if we decide to leave and that they should do the right thing and at least have our rates stay the same and not increase them again. I do not even receive cost of living raises. I just can't believe this...is this what they do to all the elderly people living here that obviously live here for many years...up their rent $30 without question every year?!
I just don't know the best way to go about doing this. I can't do it right now because when they asked me for my name when I was calling to find out the real prices, I had to think up a fake name really quickly and I accidentally gave them my real last name! What should I say to them? Should I mention that they will have to replace the carpet when we move since it was so crappy when we moved in and so they will save money by letting us stay? Should I mention that we have awful neighbors so unless they lower our rent we cannot justify staying? Should I threaten to just terminate this lease and start a whole new one at the lower rate they give to new people (at the same complex)? I will have my husband with me when I go in luckily. He is better at being mean to people, which is what I think we will have to do. Otherwise, they will just give me some stupid reason for why they are increasing the rates and I will say "Oh okay". Nobody gets away with that kind of stuff with my husband because he will explain to them how their reasoning is illogical.

Shannon
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Premier Cat

That same thing happened to me too. That's why me and my bf are moving at the end of the month. We've stayed at this apt. for 3 years b/c we didn't know if we wanted to move, etc. We kept renewing and everytime the rent would go up. Maybe it's b/c they figure that most people don't want to move once their settled in? It works b/c we never wanted to leave cause we're on 3rd floor too.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Cool Cat

*bump*
Anybody have any advice on what I should say to them? I think we may try to talk to the manager since she should have more authority to change the price.

Shannon
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Premier Cat

Send a message via MSN to Jeanie
I wish I could help you, Shannon, but who knows how the manager will react? If I were you, I'd be furious, and justifiably so. You do have an ace in the hole, because you know what other people would have to pay. There's no doubt the complex owner will lose money if they rent to a newcomer, because you're paying more than that now, aren't you?

However, they also have an ace in the hole. They can say, "OK, then move." You have to be prepared to have an alternate plan if that's what the manager says. She'd be foolish to say that, but the possibility is there. You're absolutely right about taking your husband with yuo. A united pair is better! Good luck. I really wish we could help you.

edit/sp

Jeanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A dog, I have always said, is prose; a cat is a poem. ~Jean Burden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page